What new gear has worked for you ?

TheBigGuy

All fisherman are suckers for buying new tackle that comes out. What have you tried this season that was new to you that actually has produced well.

For me the midi blue batrix strip was working well earlier in the season in a mini strip holder. I have also been pretty impressed with the Hot Spot Agitator triangular flashers. I have used these flashers attached to the line and also as dummies and both ways have worked well. What about you?

Seem to be having a lot of luck with a Kone Zone daisy chain set of flashers used as a dummy-trying some more tests this Sun thru wed at Winter Harbour. Going to switch them around and fish them against a regular anchovy flasher rigand a few other combo's to see if it really is the Kone Zones.

Got bored lots this year, tried all kinds of hootchie colors I'd never normally use. To my suprise most of them caught fish.
Also been catching fish on plugs driving at what I would consider ludicrous trolling speeds, but hey the fish didn't seem to mind.
Plus I have some really cool stuff left to try I'm sure I get suckered into way more gear than the fish do.

"Also been catching fish on plugs driving at what I would consider ludicrous trolling speeds, but hey the fish didn't seem to mind."

Please enlighten us. Always love trolling tuna and such, because of the speed. Caught anything at 6-7 knots?

Jody

[img=left]http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userpics/12747/thumb_xDSC01379.JPG[/img=left]

Silver Horde Ace High Fly rigged as shown but with two 6/0 Black Owner SSW hooks.

Best producer colour #911 Cop Car (Thanks Iron Noggin) but they all work

Hi%20Fly5.jpg

Nothing earth shattering but with the choive shortage I started fishing medium size herring in a teazer head and did really well. I also tried some UV flashers which did alright.

Comon guys there's been over a couple hundred views of this thread. Surely there's more guys that have given new stuff a try that have been successful. Or, is the gear so top secret that you have to keep it under wraps, and only put it out when no ones looking.

Different view on this subject. Fished French Creek yesterday with metal flashers and white hootchies ( August gear from years past ) - landed a 27 pound red spring - hit two more good fish that did not stick and one more that broke off after a solid strike and a decent run. Lots of coho grilse - so sometimes old is good.

Ace high fly has been my recent favorite. Mostly in ultraviolet. Has anyone tried the Brad's superbait cutplugs? I have a couple that I'm dyin to try.[:p]

Old is good, I sometimes use dodgers very successfully. I also catch a lot of fish shallow using surface weights.

I have bought a Brads Superbait cutplug, but i haven't fished it yet. i was thinking of using it when i got into a bunch of coho. Speaking of old that is new again. The Brads is very similar to the old Les Davis cutplug lure. I throw that out once in a while and it still catches fish including some large springs.

Copro - for me I troll on the inside and we go slow, real slow. Anyways been pulling plugs @ 5-9mph and it's worked.
Orthehill - I have those Brad's superbait cutplugs and I've thrown them down a couple of times still no fish, I do find they spin really fast maybe too fast for the Chinook here but when the Coho get thick I bet they should work great.

Kone Zone Daisy chain!!! Have had it for a couple years but never used it. Last trip to Queens Sound almost every fish came on the downrigger with the daisy chain. Will be using it more often now.

All these took springs last week at Ukee.
1. home tied long insert in a purple haze hootcie
2. Pride Parade Tomic, with leather thong removed
3. 40 year old Gibbs stewart brass/chrome spoon with Nog felt pen treatment
4. Commercial troller hand me down Manistee spoon
5. Baitrix herring with black spots, least productive, but took 2 fish.

DCP_1622_0200.jpg

DCP_1624_0202.jpg

DCP_1625_0203.jpg

Okay I'm sold- the Kone Zone produced big springs and coho at a much more efficient pace than most boats at WH last Sun thru tues. I thought I was just doing okay when I outfished the other side of the boat 5-1. This was because I was just picking up fish steadily-nothing earth shattering-but looking at the guys at WH during the same time period they found it slow. We had had a bit of boat trouble"see pod cover" so I pulled us in fairly close to land and headed up to Cole harbour early- 4 coho short of a limit. Fished above the narrows using a pink coyote spoon and the Kone zone as dummy and I had 6 hits and landed 4 our side-all fish in the 9-13lb range. All this in 1/2 hour and I didn't see many other nets come out Other side using various pink gear had 2 hits and landed none. I carried the Kone Zone around for 2 years and gave it 1/2 hour once before and wasn't convinced -I will use it from now on when I think I need to shake things up-it can be a pain in tough water and they ain't cheap if the wire or braid breaks -but this last trip they paid for themselves.

This talk of trolling at "ridiculous" speeds has me wondering... "conventional wisdom" has a good trolling speed at 1.7 - 2.2 knots for chinook, a little higher for coho. Sockeye trolling is at a slower speed if you believe the packaging the lures come in... but I have always found sockeye fishing to be better at slightly higher speeds.

Anyone have any steady success on chinook at higher speeds, in the 3 knot range or higher, when using a flasher? I'll troll a plug that fast, but not much else

For speed wise I don't even use my GPS that much, I go off of the angle of the deepline and then adjust to get the right angle.
But when I do use my GPS I find that about 1.7-2.2 mph for chinook is very productive given the tide and how fast it's moving.

I troll at 2.8-3 on the GPS using hootchies and been fairly sucessfull. This year I used a small herring in a teaser head with no flasher at the same speed and was quite happy with the results.Our biggest fish was caught on the bait(25#).

Mike

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

quote:Originally posted by Intrepid

This talk of trolling at "ridiculous" speeds has me wondering... "conventional wisdom" has a good trolling speed at 1.7 - 2.2 knots for chinook, a little higher for coho. Sockeye trolling is at a slower speed if you believe the packaging the lures come in... but I have always found sockeye fishing to be better at slightly higher speeds.

Anyone have any steady success on chinook at higher speeds, in the 3 knot range or higher, when using a flasher? I'll troll a plug that fast, but not much else

I often fish hoochies with flashers over 3 mph. Some days I have even caught springs consistantly over 4 mph on flasher/hoochies. Usually you won't catch lunkers, but it does produce good numbers of fish some days when they don't seem to want a slow troll. I even got a couple Hali trolling bottom at Malcolm Island at 3 mph on rubber a couple of weeks back. Go figure?

Have been dragging those ace hords in cop car maybe 10+ hours now. They look fishy as hell but i havent had a bump on them when the other side has caught fish consistantly. For now its now found a place at the back of the tacklebox.

I will usually troll 2.4-2.8 with flasher and bait and up to 3.5 with spoons and plugs and so far the freezer gets filled every year;).

I sometime use my GPS, but most of the time I do the spit test. Spit over the side and imagine your lure/bait moving away from you at that speed.....works for me;)

As for new gear for me, I really got into the Purple Haze teaser and flasher this year and it produced well. It actually out fished the standby green teaser head.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Back