What length release clip do you prefer.

The longer your downrigger arm the longer clip you will need to reach it.
For my Cannon short arms 18" - 24" is all you need. If you get a bite which doesn't pop off the clip, it's quick work to reel down and pull the line out , saving those precious seconds to set the hook.

Just a side note........I replace my scotty clips pretty regularly and I made a pretty handy hook holder with the old clips. You can take a piece of 1x4 about 16 inches long and attach the clips to it every inch or so. Just put a screw through the tensioner thing on top and there you go, instant leader board. You could even attach the whole thing to your boat! The clips hold line and lures nice and neat, and they won't fall out when your bouncing around.

I replace my Scotty clips fairly regularly too. Especially when fishihg 4 rods and the top ones get into the downrigger boom. Zip, they're gone, time to replace them.

I make up my own clips. I don't like the Scotty factory made ones because they tend to twist and knot up after a while. I use heavier ganjan line to build mine and it works extremely well and you can customize the length to suit your needs.

quote:you are not 25 anymore with super fast reactions etc ' this was brouht to my attention today on my 65th birthday by several old fishing buddies.
\
Well happy 65th Al. Old fishing buddies are good for pointing out details like that. I hope you showed the *&^%$ by catching all the fish.[8D]
T2

Cheers'

I have a custom aluminum with high sides and the 48" works the best by far.

Fishing Guide

I am Canadian. Let's go fishing, eh!

I like my clips long. I'm running 6 foot clips. I like having the extra length for my extended Scotties, and the hang in my boat nice when fighting fish. Everything out of the way.

Thanks to all for the responses.

Has anyone noticed a difference in the action of their gear using the shorter clips as opposed to the longer ones???

quote:Originally posted by baddogg

I replace my Scotty clips fairly regularly too. Especially when fishihg 4 rods and the top ones get into the downrigger boom. Zip, they're gone, time to replace them.

Years ago, I complained to Scotty about their clips jumping off the line at the mear sight of the downrigger boom.

I used to cut off the Scotty clips and replace them with a better one that was available. You could grind the new ones 20' down the line without losing them. They were great.

Scotty began using them for a few years, but about two years ago seem to have gone back to the useless clips that fall off the line. Now I have to start replacing them again... :(

I make my own. I like them 5'6 so that they can hang off ofthe back of my Pro Pack Scotties while I am setting them up. I buy my own halibut clips, 200 pound mono and crimps, and buy the Scotty ends when they are on sale or the twin ones with the little stainless line (stacker clips.) I cut them and have two ends for a lot less. My Scotty booms are 60". These work great. If your clip slides down the line then bend the center prong of the halibut clip to fit tighter. Easy to do, unless you have the halibut clip for rope for crab/shrimp pots.

sushihunter, it makes a difference which way you snap the clips onto the rigger cable. One way they hit the pully and fly off, the other way they just slide and grid and stay on. Push it away from the boat with the tail trailing. It wont pop off.

Hey Dog, thanks. I lost 4 of those last year and usually end up buying my spares at some lodge on the Westside that charges a premium for carrying them. I will try it your way this year and see how many I lose. :D SS

Was in Gone Fishing last week and they were selling 1/8" ID tubing to slide over the moveable prongy part of the clip that you attach to the wire/dyreema. Said to stop sliding of clips and premature releae (as described above).
Anybody tried it?
)Of course I bought a couple feet, but haven't been out.(

Sorry, off the topic.

My buddy is very adept at losing my clips EVERY time we go out. Have'nt tried it yet, but I've rigged a couple up with 3 wine corks threaded onto the line.(three are required to float it)
At least when he pops them off, we'll be able to go pick them up rather than watching $10 spiral its way to the bottom!

Oh Cedar, that's way too clever! Why didn't I think of that? [8D]

I strung a dink float on my homemade ones. I also like to make them long so I can snag them easier with my gaf rather than reaching overboard in my small boat.

Back