What kind of Braided line??

I am wondering if you can let me know what you think is the best Braided line to use. I will be putting the braid on an old Peetz reel and 2 Shimano 400GT's. I was thinking about using 60lb braid. I keep looking at the Power Pro and the Suffix 832. Never used braid before. Thank you for any help.

I've tried a few brands and the power pro has been my favourite. The main issue I ran into with other lines is how fast they fade/lose their colour. The power pro holds its colour the best of the ones I've tried so far!

I've tried a few brands and the power pro has been my favourite. The main issue I ran into with other lines is how fast they fade/lose their colour. The power pro holds its colour the best of the ones I've tried so far!
Do you use the dark green colored? What lb test for salmon fishing?

50# is plenty heavy and my preference is jerry brown solid braid.

I run 50# bright blue power pro and my wife is set up with FINS bright pink. Both have 45ft/13.7m of topshot. Both catch fish. Color doesn't seem to matter. I also have some white jerry brown. It is the softest of the lot. Get to know your knots.

Only use Tuff line XP, 50 lb is perfect, green, do have other colors but green/moss is my favorite. It is the smallest diameter for the price, .013 I think for the 50. Lasts, has good knot strength and wears well.

HM

Suffix 832 is my favorite for casting. Super light and best coating on the market. With each strand being impregnated with gore tex.

I switched to 40lb Power Pro Super Slick in Marine Blue this summer and absolutely loved it. The Super Slick is quieter through the guides and didn't seem to fade at all this summer. Make sure you are comfortable tying a proper knot to join the two lines. I use a Modified Albright to tie on about 50' of 30lb Maxima Ultragreen Mono and make 100% sure that the knot is PERFECT. There are other knots that work but I like that one.

I would check-out what the Tuna fishers in So Cal are using. Latest is hollow core braid. Main advantage is that the mono-to-braid connection is much smoother, which can be an issue when going thru the guides. The mono top shot is required to have something the release clip can hang onto. Also some species of fish don't like to see braid.

Check out http://www.charkbait.com/ for more info & pricing.

I have been using 20# power pro for Salmon for a little over 20 years now. According to charkbait it lasts least 12 years. When I re-spool I will go a bit heavier than 20 although I have never had a line break. With a 30ft 40# mono top shot I change it when frayed or yearly whichever comes first.

Best knot I have found is the GT knot:

Ill have to try that one although the royal polaris/john collins/modified albright knot that I use is also very small and appears to be much easier to tie in the field. I have never had it fail on salmon or albacore either.

Last edited:
I am trying the Power Pro 50 lb. moss green, also the Tuff line XP 50 lb. yellow/green. The Tuff line was cheaper, and not very green, seems yellow to me.
Both are fine so far, but did break one knot on a snag in the winter.( power pro) probably didn't tie the knot correctly.
I found some(ghost colored) Suffix 832 in a 80 lb test, and noticed it has a smooth finish with a nice strong look to the braid.
I should try all the knots you fellas recommend and get better at these knots/ find a favorite.

I have been using "Sufix 832 high vis" for a couple years now. So far it has been flawless. Bonus is it seem easier to get slime off of in that spring algi bloom we all love so much. I run about 75-90 feet of 25 or 30 lb Ultra Green mono top shot.
I also use the GT knot. stays small and easy to tie.
One note about the GT knot taken from my sad experience this spring. Wen you tie this knot and are cinching it tight, cinch it again. If you think it is tight and biting, pull harder.After using knot for a year and tying multiple times with no failure.,I lost a good fish and my gear wen my braid slipped off my mono due to not biting as well as I thought. I checked the other rod that I tied at same time and did the same thing. I re tied, pulled and tested to have another slip. On next re tie I made sure I pulled like heck before cutting tag ends and it was OK. For what it is worth I pulled pretty hard on the ones that failed and was confident in the knot, so all I am saying is pull hard then pull harder before ya clip. Still like using knot as it is small and comes through guides smooth.

I got a few 500m rolls of 8 strand Saratoga Shadowstrike 50# from Aliexpress. Each roll is enough for 2 mooching reels if you throw on some dacron backing to fill part of the spool. I have 3 years on it. I like the GT knot/Sebile/FG (all the same thing) as well. But I have half round chip in my front tooth the same size as my topshot. Time for a new technique.
I got my downrigger braid from them too. No issues.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...lb-12colors-available/901970_32243265426.html

I got a few 500m rolls of 8 strand Saratoga Shadowstrike 50# from Aliexpress. Each roll is enough for 2 mooching reels if you throw on some dacron backing to fill part of the spool. I have 3 years on it. I like the GT knot/Sebile/FG (all the same thing) as well. But I have half round chip in my front tooth the same size as my topshot. Time for a new technique.
I got my downrigger braid from them too. No issues.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...lb-12colors-available/901970_32243265426.html

I did the same. Quality vs price is about 200% better than power pro. It's good stuff

I would check-out what the Tuna fishers in So Cal are using. Latest is hollow core braid. Main advantage is that the mono-to-braid connection is much smoother, which can be an issue when going thru the guides. The mono top shot is required to have something the release clip can hang onto. Also some species of fish don't like to see braid.

Check out http://www.charkbait.com/ for more info & pricing.

I have been using 20# power pro for Salmon for a little over 20 years now. According to charkbait it lasts least 12 years. When I re-spool I will go a bit heavier than 20 although I have never had a line break. With a 30ft 40# mono top shot I change it when frayed or yearly whichever comes first.

Best knot I have found is the GT knot:

That is a beauty knot...I'll be switching from the Modified Albright for sure. Tks for the share...

Thank you all for your input. I also am greatful for the new knot that is shown on the video. I am definitely going to have to try it. I have used the Albright knot with the braided downrigger line to a length of the green net twine to the cannon balls. It's a little different as the braid has some substance to bite into for sure. I am going to see who can supply what way up in the Kootenays or wait until I'm back down at the cost to pick up some braid there. Thanks again. I appreciate all the help.

Back