What Is The Best Cure To Prevent Sea Sickness

Bonomine works for me offshore everytime and I'm convinced it even helps with the hangover after a million beers.

Most compound pharmacists have the recipe to cook them up, at least a couple i know in Vic.

Pharmasave in Qualicum Beach makes the recipie and it works for my kids, the gravol just puts them to sleep and how much fun can they have fishing when they are sleeping, so I love it for the fact that they get to experience fishing offshore. Takes about an hour to kick in and lasts 24 hours. I think it worked out to around $0.75 per pill but worth it for sure.

I have never been seasick, however ive been on boats with people who are and it doesnt look fun. I am not sure if i am prone to it or not, but i take alot of precautions before going.

Better safe then sorry.

I dont drink much booze the night before. I dont drink on the boat offshore (inshore i'll have a few) I dont eat anything greasy the day before, get lots of sleep(well as much as possible before going offshore to slay!) and pop 2 gravols on the dock. ALways worked.

Cheap fix is buy some bulk ginger powder, you can get 'organic' at health food store for a bit more $$. Health food store will sell some empty gelatin capsules, also cheap. Make them up yourself, and take a couple/day a day or two before you're heading out and also the day you go. Worked for me fishing off the north island with a commercial buddy one summer, he said I was the only one he'd taken out that didn't heave. Only downfall, don't anyone get in your way when your heading for the first pee of the morning.............it's a diuretic.

There is a certain plant that you can injest in different ways that works great..... although you may get into a bit a trouble if you get caught giving it to your 15 year old :)

I just tell whomever is feeling sick to think about a piece of sausage on a string. Works like a charm every time.

Have had a good number of Folks who simply cannot get out there without puking tag along each season. Ernie Ross (Royal Quest) came up with this one...

Can't recall the exact name of the drug. But...
Get to your Doctor and explain to him that you are aware of the prescription based anti-motion sickness drug taken by Airline Pilots. Insist that he issues this to you (they almost always will). Follow the instructions accordingly. Works INCREDIBLY Well. Since suggesting this to my clients, even the most Hardcore Pukers have been instantly cured! Had one fella so bad he would spout before we even left the dock! Never has even in rough seas since he got with this program! Bonus, you do NOT get drowsy! And no side-effects (as long as you go easy on the wobbly-pops! LOL!)

Cheers,
Nog

That would be a prescription such as ‘SCOPACE,’which contains ‘Scopolamine’! Scopolamine has been rated the single most effective drug in preventing nausea and vomiting induced by motion. Scopolamine(Transderm Scop) is the most commonly prescribed medication for motion sickness for both aircrews and marine. I assure you cruise ships carry it! The only problem, it takes time and has to be taken to allow it to get into the system before symptoms start and vomiting occurs. Otherwise, it will just go to sea with all the rest!

The ‘patch’ nor any of the rest - does NOT always work, be ready for that! Scopolamine is in the patch, which is usually placed behind the ear 6 - 8 hours before. The good thing about the patch is it will eventually get into the system, even if one is currently seasick and will last up to 3 days. In patch form,you are more likely and very well could have more side effects; such as drymouth, drowsiness, blurred vision, and disorientation. To prevent or reduce those side effects, talk to your doctor and get it prescribed in pill form. That way you control the amount of dosage and it will reduce side effects, just make sure you follow the directions and take before vomiting occurs or – see above, it just goes to sea without any benefit and you will still have one seasick and miserable individual. Want an example of someone who is wearing a patch - See picture!

There are several medicines, including Meclizine (Bonine). It is most effective taken 1 hour before. It is not recommended for children under 12; however, they do have a ‘Kids Bonnie’and side effects may include drowsiness and dry mouth. I carry ‘Kids Bonnie’ for my grandkids and highly recommend it!

You then have the others; such as: Promethazine (Phenergan) -- take 2 hours before last 6 - 8 hours. Side effects may include drowsiness and drymouth; Cyclizine (Marezine) most effective when taken at least 30 minutes before. It is not recommended for children younger than 6 and side effects are similar to scopolamine; Dimenhydrinate (Dramamine) take every 4 - 8 hours. Side effects are also similar to scopolamine.

Most motion sickness starts going away around12 years of age, for cars and airplanes; however, it certainly does continue for many individuals venturing out into those ocean swells, and even large cruise ships – been there done that with my daughter. If you are taking someone on a cruise, trust me be prepared for some to get seasick. If on a large ship – get the individual towards the front where they can see the horizon and that also reduces the lateral motion. If you can’t do that, go down below (as far below as you get) and on centerline of the ship, where there is less side to side rocking. And, by all means save the individual some misery and just go ahead and see the ship’s doctor!

On our boats – the absolute best thing is, do not let them sit backwards looking down, do not even think about letting them into the cuddy cabin – if you do make sure they have a bucket (see picture). They will be miserable and there will be a mess to clean up! Keep them facing forward watching the horizon and believe it or not – LET THEM DRIVE THE BOAT! As long as their hands are on that helm and they are focused on driving that boat, looking outside at the horizon - most times seasickness will go away! I have done this many times with several individuals, including my 30+ year old daughter who is still prone to seasickness.

DSC01199.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear that staying on land works best!! Gravol works but so does a cold beer! Although frowned upon by the boys in blue. Also if you need glasses and don't know it thats a big contributor.

Been sea sick once while commercial fishing......after a few dozen beverages.:cool:

Most of the time it is the women along on the trip who get nauseated. I tell them to go up front, lay down keep your eyes closed and have a nap. Most of them are along only for the ride and don't really care about the fishing. They usually have already complained about getting up so early so a nap isn't a bad thing any way and for them feeling better is a bigger priority then playing a fish. It works for me every time so long as they speak up about feeling off and before they start hurling.

I tell all my guests to eat a whole bunch of bananas before we got out... It doesnt stop the from puking, but at least it taste the same comin up as it did goin down...

There is a drink that I make up which is refreshing, healthy and helps with sea sickness. You start with a French Press used for making coffee. You put in it a lot of green tea and large quantity of grated ginger root. I wash the ginger but leave the peel on before you grate it as it is less work. Then add boiling water and let it sit for a few hours till it cools down but do not press it. You can stir or shake it a little from time to time. Then put it in the fridge unpressed and leave it to the next day. Take it out and shake/stir it, press it and pour off the cold ginger tea.

This makes a strong extract which you then pour into a bottle and add water or sparkling water and a little sugar or artificial sweetener. Some will like it more diluted than others. This makes a tasting and very health drink which is great for sea sickness and the caffine in the green tea will keep you alert if it’s 4:00am and/or you are taking gravol which tends to make you sleepy. It is strong so you can usually water it down a lot. Alternatively you can run the ginger root through a juicing machine and just add the juice to cold green tea with a little sugar/sweetener .

Back