What age do people start talking there kids salmon fishing?

My daughter has been out on the water with me since she was a few months old. I started her when she was around 3 or 4 catching trout, easy to hold a smaller rod and reel it in. First salmon was a coho off the trap at 9 but had brought in many lings and rock fish before that. Now at 14 she holds her boat operators card and runs my boat under strict super vision when we are fishing including navigating though fleets of sport fishing boats. Hopes to be accepted into Coast Guard Collage after high school. Get them on the water and don't look back.

I don’t think there is an age that is too young. There are, however changes in the way you fish and also the length of time you can fish. Every kid is different but putting them in situations that will make them have fun is the key. Starting with lots of small fish, bullheads or perch from a dock is a great intro.

My son gets bored easily with fishing and also gets sea sick so for him to fish there needs to be lots of action. My daughter is more patient but still likes action (don’t we all). The hardest part I think for me is to learn that you need to pack up and go home when they are done. If your two kids are not on the same page with that take them on their own. Bring snacks and other things to do especially if you are trolling.

My kids love jigging and are happy with whatever they catch, especially if it is weird like a sea cucumber. If there is a salmon caught they are really happy. Pink season is great for kids to start out.

This past week we got away to Comox and we were able to get out in my 12’ tinny and the kids caught tons of fish, including flounders and salmon that were well worth keeping and even some sea cucumber that we did not keep.

Here is some of my 11 year old daughter with a catch from this past week.
PS I have no idea why they are loading sideways. Sorry.

Salmon.jpg cleaning.jpg cleaning 2.jpg

Attachments

• Salmon.jpg
    Salmon.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 24
40352529_150107265911228_7090484448663175168_n.jpg

My son has been fishing pretty much from day 1. He's 12 now and caught this 29 pounder a few days ago.

When he was a toddler he loved to jig black rock fish with his toy spinning rod. He has caught a few monster ling cod doing this.

He can run the boat and gear and he launches and lands the boat off and on the trailer.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses on here. Great stories and pics! Inspiring, funny. Some really good advice too.

I brought one of my little guys out yesterday and it was a success. (No fish) but still a good time. He’s been talking about it since lol.

I’m going to bring my other boy out next. Also I’m thinking of hitting up some of the lakes around here. Better my chances of getting these boys into some fish.

Attachments

• 36612BDC-A183-489C-984F-CB1B527E6316.jpeg
    36612BDC-A183-489C-984F-CB1B527E6316.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 21
Things I have found when taking kids fishing is it needs to be productive. They are not looking for the 30 pound chinook, that will come all by it self. Crabbing/Prawnimg (there is all ways something in the traps) put there name on one of the floats, with a trip out for rock fish works well on the salt, hook the rock fish your self and hand them the rod, if you just let them drop the jig you will spend the whole time trying to get your jigs un snagged and that's no fun for any one.

Back