What age do people start talking there kids salmon fishing?

Bucket with water, hoochies, lures with no hooks, some line, snacks, and moms lap are helpful. Cars usually end up rolling off the gunwales with meltdowns so don’t recommend wheeled toys on board!

My boy loves the boat. He’s 3 absolutely flips out when there’s a fish...maybe quite not as much as dad though! Daughter is 9 mos so hopefully get her on the same program.

My dad started me at 3 yrs old , would put my lifejacket on and put a couple live herring in a bucket with water and let me play with them on the back deck while him and my grandfather would fish, he also tied a dock line to the back loop of my life jacket as a just in case measure! never know when kids are climbing on engine covers etc and a wave comes.

Good thread. My son is 3 and talks about catching his first fish all the time. Pretty soon I'll take him out. He really wants to go. My boat is only 17 ft so I'd really have to pick the day.

Bucket with water, hoochies, lures with no hooks, some line, snacks, and moms lap are helpful. Cars usually end up rolling off the gunwales with meltdowns so don’t recommend wheeled toys on board!

My boy loves the boat. He’s 3 absolutely flips out when there’s a fish...maybe quite not as much as dad though! Daughter is 9 mos so hopefully get her on the same program.

Great advice! Its funny how my kids played with a big hali hoochie for hours at a time.

PN2.jpeg There is nothing more exciting for a kid then when they catch there first fish! Or when you pull the crab traps.!! They are so proud of their fish & love how proud you are of them. Every time we have fish for supper they ask who's fish it is we are eating.!

The best times I have are fishing with kids. I show everything, they pick their own gear( I help them a bit to increase their odd's of catching something. Lol)Put it in the clip, let down and they are just glued to that rod waiting for the big one. Get them to steer the boat, watch the fish finder, even get them to wash the boat down. I think the all time thriller for them is bonking the fish, it's the first thing they grab when someone yells "fish on". Lol

My boy was 10 when he started multi-day trips on the ocean - he is 14 now can now do most things on the boat and has stopped being seasick. He was trout fishing and kokanee fishing since 3. He examines all the fish in great detail still - really was fascinated with tiger rockfish, china rockfish and ling cod this year.

Fished nootka for ten days at the beginning of august with my 2.5 yr old son his 3rd trip and my 6 month old daughter. Up everyday at 4 and fishing by 5 and they did really good somedays we were on the water till noon. My little guy reeled in the coho on his own with dad holding the rod of course and it was a pretty proud moment for everyone. I didnt go salmon fishing till i was 12 wish it was sooner, start them young you will make some great memories..B74266F2-8C80-434D-AF8D-F0992222A5B2.jpeg

I was a toddler when I first went with my dad. I remember petting the fish when they were in the tub, once one bucked a few minutes later and I jumped and started crying!
and then there was the time after he launched us at the dock as he was parking the truck, I was splashing with my boots in a puddle at the back of the boat. He forgot the plug. See who I get it from?!

I will be taking my little girl on the boat for he first time next summer, she will be 18 months. I already have a life jacket for her.

I have a hyper active 3 year old that runs around going phyco most of the time.

Put him on a boat and he sits stills watching things hours or falls asleep.

Attachments

• 2922A823-1E4F-4C69-A90C-F82B2F0F2D81.jpeg
    2922A823-1E4F-4C69-A90C-F82B2F0F2D81.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 38
Carson and fish.jpg

My grandson has been fascinated with fish since he was a baby. He caught a decent ling cod when he was 3 years old. Now he's 9 . He was out to Poett Nook with us this summer and really enjoyed 3 days of fishing.

I started my daughter fishing at 4, son at 2 and youngest daughter was 4 months old. My kids absolutely love going fishing, exploring beaches etc. They can spend 8-12 hours on the boat. We also use snack food and colouring books help past the slow time. My oldest caught her fishing coho 3 yrs ago, she was 4. It was just her and I and we hit a double header. I was fighting one fish, I looked over and she was reeling the second in saying "I got this daddy", knuckle buster and all, while it was in the rod holder. She mentions that story all the time. That and also all the whales she seen. It was an amazing time that we will never forget.
I say start them young, teach to only keep what we can eat, not always needed to limit out is ok, never waste or harm fish/wildlife. I teach them that we are privileged to live and harvest wild resources in this great country, I'm hoping in 20 years I can teach my grandchildren the same and they can pass it on.
This is a great thread and I enjoyed reading everyone's stories about family fishing adventures, keep them coming.

Love these responses. The first time I took my first son out solo he was 1 1/2 years old. He found his sea legs quickly and is amazing on the boat. Like wildmanyeah said, he's kind of nuts on dry land but a choir boy on the boat, drives my wife nuts, who doesn't come fishing with us. He's just turned 4 and getting to the point where he might reel in a fish assisted. He loves the animals and brings his toy garbage trucks along for entertainment, goes to bed if he's tired. I get him to pick spots on the charts for traps and such, he loves doing that. He and I did a 5 day trip last month just us two to desolation sound, we slept on the boat and it was one of the most special trips I've ever taken. My second is 1 1/2 but I'm not quite ready to solo both of them at the same time yet. For safety, the only thing I've taught him that is critical is that if dad falls of the boat you pull the coiled red cord as hard as you can. I practice this with him regularly.

Salmon fishing is usually a bit boring for the little ones so make sure you bring entertainment. Let them drive the boat as much as possible, kids love that.

Kids love catching so get them feeling like they're involved in some way, whatever that is, even if it's moving the catch into the fish box or whatever if the fish are too big to handle on the rod.

Took my oldest out at 4-5 years old and will do the same with the younger. They absolutely love the boat but fishing can get boring between catches so I bring a tablet loaded with some shows / movies and some snacks and it keeps em going.
Nothing beats the smile when your kid has helped reel in a nice fish.

emfish.jpg

Looks like a steelhead??

Based on what?
  • Head blunt, jaw short - does not extend past the eye? Maybe
  • Distinct dark spots on dorsal fin? No
  • Square-shaped tail fin with radiating pattern of spots? No
  • Often has reddish stripe along sides, gill cover reddish? No
  • Length up to 45 inches

Back