Whaler knockoff

Daquota

Any idea what this hull is. It is my new project. Sorry that don’t have better pictures. Wondering about floatation

Attachments

• E3C4AE3F-5FE7-4D81-843D-AE9832A68370.jpeg
    E3C4AE3F-5FE7-4D81-843D-AE9832A68370.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 78F285B6-8502-4F5C-825F-09861C6C93EA.jpeg
    78F285B6-8502-4F5C-825F-09861C6C93EA.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 82
  • BF327711-7D39-44F6-898F-8FF43F4C946B.jpeg
    BF327711-7D39-44F6-898F-8FF43F4C946B.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 073FCBA1-C3AF-4D4D-AD64-672BA91EF8EB.jpeg
    073FCBA1-C3AF-4D4D-AD64-672BA91EF8EB.jpeg
    439.1 KB · Views: 88
All those little boats should have foam in them. The question is more whether it's waterlogged or if it still works. They are known to get wet over time. That one appears to have son ingress points. Weight and waterline would be two tells.

In 1976 whaler went to the smirk style hull on the 17 foot hull, so this is a knock off of an old hull that will splash the chop forward then blow it back into your face more than the newer model.
There will be foam between the deck and the hull. It probably has water in it, but if the boat floats near its normal water line, I wouldn't worry too much. You will want to reseal all the deck attachments and patch the old screw holes.
The console is so far forward that it will really bounce the driver in chop.
I'd get an old tiller motor, 2 seats, a fish finder/gps, and go jigging or flyfishing.
I have two old small whalers that aren't worth much.
Investing a pile of money in this won't pay off in dollars, but will be a nice stable at rest platform to fish from.

All those little boats should have foam in them. The question is more whether it's waterlogged or if it still works. They are known to get wet over time. That one appears to have son ingress points. Weight and waterline would be two tells.
Thanks for getting back to me. I have lifted the top up about 2 feet and can see both parts. There is no foam ,but maybe someone removed it. The bottom part has had some fibreglass work and I intend to redo the top. Am trying to find a picture of how this particular make would have been foamed. I don’t think it was poured then sandwiched like the Boston whaler

In 1976 whaler went to the smirk style hull on the 17 foot hull, so this is a knock off of an old hull that will splash the chop forward then blow it back into your face more than the newer model.
There will be foam between the deck and the hull. It probably has water in it, but if the boat floats near its normal water line, I wouldn't worry too much. You will want to reseal all the deck attachments and patch the old screw holes.
I'd get an old tiller motor, 2 seats, a fish finder/gps, and go jigging or flyfishing.
Investing a pile of money in this won't pay off in dollars, but will be a nice stable at rest platform to fish from.
Thanks

I have an 11'4 and a 16' 7. They are both tillers. The foam sandwich gives strength, since there are no stringers. If yours has no foam, what stiffens the hull?
Thanks tubber. Just getting started here so going to be a bit of a journey, but I am looking forward to it. My son just rebuilt a 20.6 double eagle Alaskan cabiin and that inspired me.

I have an 11'4 and a 16' 7. They are both tillers. The foam sandwich gives strength, since there are no stringers. If yours has no foam, what stiffens the hull?
Thanks tubber. Just getting started here so

That will be a very wet boat in any kind of wind, might be suitable for a lake cottage or tender for a sailboat. Or a double Eagle?? Very low freeboard, but still very stable to stand up in. As you already have it split, turn the insert upside down, locate all the holes that have been drilled into it, , clean out the holes with a slightly larger drill size, tape the hole on the side that shows with plastic tape, and sand an area around each hole on the underside and fill with thickened epoxy., tapering it just proud of the hole After it hardens you can remove the tape and it should be filled flush to the deck. Have fun.

That will be a very wet boat in any kind of wind, might be suitable for a lake cottage or tender for a sailboat. Or a double Eagle?? Very low freeboard, but still very stable to stand up in. As you already have it split, turn the insert upside down, locate all the holes that have been drilled into it, , clean out the holes with a slightly larger drill size, tape the hole on the side that shows with plastic tape, and sand an area around each hole on the underside and fill with thickened epoxy., tapering it just proud of the hole After it hardens you can remove the tape and it should be filled flush to the deck. Have fun.
Thanks gungadin
I will do that but tubber indicated that there should be a layer of foam or stringers which there is neither. That’s the reason I am trying to find the actual make of the boat. Once I get that information I will know if it needs to be completely foamed, partially foamed or some new stringers added to make it structurally sound.

Ah memories. My Dad had a 1972 13' Whaler we used to fish out of Cowichan Bay in. Very stable for such a small boat, but in any chop it was wet and slammed hard. Spent some cold wet mornings heading to Porlier Pass as well. I used to dread pounding up Stuart Channel at sunrise to get to the early slack at Porlier, but hey in those days the salmon were still around so it was worth it!

Back