Westcoast Fishing Tackle?

what do u guys w run for a leader on them.. Interesting I have found either they are killer or dead to me but not super deadly like others... I do have a pile of them and are well built

:0
48" leader and I use a bead chain on the split ring. I've only ever caught on the sandlance around Bowen this time of year. Don't really run them otherwise.

June 2021 in nootka nothing was working. Then we used the smallest ap spoon and it performed well. Saved the trip. It has been the most consistent all year. But if the sun was really bright with no clouds we found the golden nugget coho killer to be the best. But it can change year over year. When I go out these days I start with one ap depth charge or mvp. And dad usually picks something different for the otherside. And we switch to what is getting the most fish. Generally ap is outperforming. But we'll see how it does vs the krippled kc soon as the ice melts.

I'm in a kayak most of the time so trolling is a little more difficult so I jig most of the time, but I'd like to up my trolling game this year. Do any of you have any suggestions for AP spoons that might perform well without a flasher and at slightly slower speeds? I've had some mild success with coho killers with my current setup.

Vancouver area, the 3” herring in army truck has worked its way into a winter staple. One thing important I noticed was speed. They are heavier in comparison to the silver horde/Gibbs usuals, and have worked better on a quicker troll. I think over 2 knot is generally recommended, I usually am around 2.2-2.4 current/weather depending

Same here, I have a bunch of AP Spoons, I have never caught any fish on one.... I relegated them to the bottom of the tackle box. What length leader are you guy's using, I must be doing something wrong
No fish to catch in the bottom of the tackle box! lol

A good general rule of thumb that I like is 12" of leader for every 1" of spoon. 3" = 36", 4" = 48", 5" 60", etc. Then I adjust a tad for time of year and species.

Some like to toss a swivel in the front and they catch fish like that and are super easy to swap spoons on same leader like that. Use a small swivel or the action will get dampened. I personally prefer to tie a palomar knot directly to the ring, placing the the knot opposite the ring opening so that the spoon rides in the opening and gives the best action...in my opinion. To each their own!

Before rigging though, I think the very most important factor is choosing the right size and shape for where and when you are fishing. I recognize that I have made that a bit hard by offering so many shapes and sizes (3", 4", 5", 7" and now 2" x 3 shapes x too many colours) but hey....it's really all for my tackle box and I like fishing everywhere! lol

I'm in a kayak most of the time so trolling is a little more difficult so I jig most of the time, but I'd like to up my trolling game this year. Do any of you have any suggestions for AP spoons that might perform well without a flasher and at slightly slower speeds? I've had some mild success with coho killers with my current setup.
Go for the smallest spoon you have but honestly at kayak speeds a 4.5" Watermelon Apex is what you want fished 6' behind a 4oz weight.

No fish to catch in the bottom of the tackle box! lol

A good general rule of thumb that I like is 12" of leader for every 1" of spoon. 3" = 36", 4" = 48", 5" 60", etc. Then I adjust a tad for time of year and species.

Some like to toss a swivel in the front and they catch fish like that and are super easy to swap spoons on same leader like that. Use a small swivel or the action will get dampened. I personally prefer to tie a palomar knot directly to the ring, placing the the knot opposite the ring opening so that the spoon rides in the opening and gives the best action...in my opinion. To each their own!

Before rigging though, I think the very most important factor is choosing the right size and shape for where and when you are fishing. I recognize that I have made that a bit hard by offering so many shapes and sizes (3", 4", 5", 7" and now 2" x 3 shapes x too many colours) but hey....it's really all for my tackle box and I like fishing everywhere! lol
Hi Andrew

Thanks for the information. I will pull them back out of the tackle box and give them another chance this year. I really want to like them, supporting local is important in our fishery.

I have caught lots of nice keeper springs using these new Westcoast Fishing Tackle spoons, at least when the wind isn't blowing too hard. 5' leader, be sure to pinch the barb.

I honestly don't know why they even sell barbed hooks anymore.

Got my first order in. $210 worth of spoons

Jeff is a stand up guy!
I’ve spoken with Jeff a few times and I agree, he sure seems like a stand up guy. He was looking for some advice on glow products at the time and I was happy to share my experiences. And nothing wrong with another small local guy getting in on the lure making action.

Santa brought me a pack of Jeff’s spoons. The quality looks good and I’m looking forward to giving them a swim next weekend.

My wife said Jeff was a pleasure to deal with, very accommodating and pleasant. Even called her to let her know traffic was bad on the day they’d arranged for her to pick up the package. I’m very happy to have good quality local spoon businesses like Westcoast Tackle and AP Tackleworks to support.

G
Santa brought me a pack of Jeff’s spoons. The quality looks good and I’m looking forward to giving them a swim next weekend.

My wife said Jeff was a pleasure to deal with, very accommodating and pleasant. Even called her to let her know traffic was bad on the day they’d arranged for her to pick up the package. I’m very happy to have good quality local spoon businesses like Westcoast Tackle and AP Tackleworks to support.
Got a pack of Jeff's spoons from Santa too! Looking forward to sending them down. Jeff is a great guy, and not too bad of a winger (when he forechecks ;):))!

Hi packaging alone makes the extra buck or two worth it!
Santa thought that I should get jiggy with it. :D
View attachment 73707
They look great. Not to seem like a tree hugging liberal but I would like to see manufactures move away from any plastic in packaging. Seems like there is just to much plastic that is unnecessary. The AP spoons seem to come without any plastic packaging.

They look great. Not to seem like a tree hugging liberal but I would like to see manufactures move away from any plastic in packaging. Seems like there is just to much plastic that is unnecessary. The AP spoons seem to come without any plastic packaging.
Touche, and agreed.

But as mine came by CanadaPost, I'm more than happy for the additional layer of protection ;)

The big order arrived today and it looks beyond deadly!
I would show all of you a picture of the loot, but then I’d have to kill you, as I got a couple too secret, unreleased beauties!
We can never bug our significant others about too many earrings or baubles.

Back