West coast trip advice

Goblin

Hello, I am a newbie to forum. Looking to make a trip to west coast next summer. Been hitting the gulf islands for a week ever summer from the interior and a tired of the spotty fishing. I have an 18 ft hewescraft. Looking for a place to stay reasonable price, will do my own cooking and safer for a boat this size. Been looking around Nootka sound and bamfield. Any ideas would be much appreciated

I run an 18ft extended transom Hewes Searunner and fish Ukee every June and occasionally again in July or August. I don't go outside every day but lots of fishing locations on the inside when wind/waves make it unsafe or uncomfortable. All of the west coast Sounds that have protected waters would work for you- Barkley (Bamfield or Ukee), Clayoquot (Tofino), Nootka (Gold River, Tahsis, Zeballos), Kyuquot or Quatsino (Winter Harbour). Lots of info on here on most of these locations that you can find using the search option.

Cheers!

Ukee

Sounds good, that's what I was hoping to hear. I have a sportsman, use it lots on the big lakes, kinbasket, Shuswap, Arrow. Been really happy with it. Handles bigger water well, never get to cocky. Any advice on good places to stay? Can pm don't want anyone to be giving up their secrets.

We fish Nootka every year. We stay at Cougar Creek and camp. Many lodges in that area and a search will turn up many options and price points.

Mike

Ucluelet is a great place. I stay at the Island West Motel but there are many other choices. Flake ice is available.

A great little sheltered harbour that I found this summer was Poett Nook (Coordinates: 48º 52’.52” N 125º 02’ 55.37” W). Camping spots, small store and you can get gas.

Thanks for all the good info. Is there a way to find out if there is availability at these places before you make the trek over from the mainland?

If you got the money, Critter Cove in Nootka a good bet for first trip over. Great set up and good people there. Dockside cabins, awesome location. Any dates 3rd week July to 2nd week of August is what I would recommend. Book far in advance or get on waiting list. Camping is first come first serve at Cougar Creek forest rec site, location, location, location again. Short run to inside hot spots. Inside or nearly inside fishing good to great most years in Nootka, with offshore an option for your boat with reasonable conditions. Inside is tame fishing conditions with lots of boats, outside more rugged for sure and great if you can get out, check seasonal closures though for where outside is open. I take my 17 DE offshore to open area when calmish and it's fun. Next year will turn it's self around in Nootka so don't go by this years reports. Let's hope it turns back on anyway. Odd one this year for sure.

Otherwise, the Ukee reports have been good this year and Ukee is a good hub with options depending on wind. Offshore banks to inshore shallow fun. Read the current reports for an idea of what it's like. Accommodation available in Ukee even in peak season, peak season prices mind you. But not like Tofino that'$ for sure. Last minute trips possible to Ukee, lots doing it now. Kitchenette units available or camping. Bamfield accessible by dirt road or a good run out of Alberni inlet from port Alberni. Bamfield is a special place. Fun place and can be very fishy. Meal and lodging packages there can't be beat. Mackay bay lodge is one I can recommend from experience.

Both Nootka (via gold river, not as bad as people say, I launch a 32' crew boat there all the time at mid to high tides) and Ukee have paved road right to boat launch options which is good when coming over for first time. Alberni same if going out to bamfield, or if just fishing inlet when springs are in later in August, most years.

Winter harbour more of a venture for sure but the potential rewards are greater, ask Spring Fever on here about that. A bucket list type of place. More prep needed for that trip. Or port hardy is an option too. Fish close by at duval if windy or venture out for bottom fish if calmer. West coast feel for sure. Highway the whole way there, easy trailering. Kitchenette units, cottages (see port hardy thread) and camping available.

Hope you make your dream a reality. So many options, just go for it. This site a great resource.

Last edited:
Id second nootka , slow year but ill be back next year regardless .. inside fishing is usually flat calm and have seen boats smaller than yours at the can and even farther our

Great place to go is Poett Nook---- easy access to the outside if the water is good, and lots of spots inside Barclay Sound when the wind is up. They have gas; tackle; ice; and moorage. Lots of people around to get local news, and good advice on the do's and don'ts with an 18 foot boat. You can bring your boat in from Port Alberni by water or road ; your choice. Check them out and book early.----- Good Luck!

Back