Weather conditions vs wave height

the butcher

When I look at the current environment canada marine details during their periodic updates, the wind/gust speeds normally correlate with the wave height. For example, light/calm winds normally have wave height reading of around 0.1m or less, 10-15knot winds usually have a wave length of 0.3-0.4m and so on.... not always but they usually correlate well between wind speed and wave height.

At the time of writing this message, the current conditions at halibut bank are as follows: winds SE4 gust 6 .... however, wave height is 0.4M which is the conditions that I would typically see when the winds are up closer to 15 knots... It's currently halfway through an EBB tide so the winds and currents are flowing in the same direction rather than opposing directions so the wave height shouldn't be affected like they would in a situation of opposing wind and strong currents.

Anyone know why relatively light wind conditions are creating 0.4M waves? Trying to figure this out in order to better anticipate days when I will be out on the waters. I find environment canada marine forecast isn't very accurate when it's 2-3 days out... I also find that windy.com is usually providing forecasts of wind/waves lighter than they actually are. Sometime hard to figure out the actual conditions. It takes me 45 mins to trailer my boat to the ramp. I wish I lived close enough to be able to check water conditions out with my own eyes before trailering the boat and getting to the ramp.

Outflow winds coming out of Howe Sound today...Pam rocks reporting 32g40 knots. Sometimes the waves are generated some distance away from where you are encountering calm winds.

I think you will find that current wind is a major factor in determining waves/sea state but it is not the only factor. There may be left over short waves from a recent wind storm a few hours earlier and large rollers from major storms far away as well as sloppy waves and whirl pools from strong currents that are especially problematic if they oppose the wind.
Geographic features can also make local seas states worse, narrow passages, shallow water, up welling over reefs, reflected cross waves etc. Sometimes all of these factors can work together, building on top of each other to make a particularly nasty wave/sea state.

Last edited:
As Rockfish also states, My guess the 80 km winds and big storm Wed night into yesterday have something to do with the .4m today.

HM

This all makes sense. The winds now at halibut Bank are 8 with gust to 10.. In essence double of what they were when they were 4 to 6 but the wave height has slightly gone down to 0.3m.

Every spot is different you also have current that is way stronger and cause what we call stacking waves its very hard to predict only way is experience of being out there and seeing it and recognizing whats gonna happen, ill use oak bay as a example you can fish the flats and it will be flat calm but look out past trial and they are 5 footers ... water and wind directions play a huge factor and trust me you dont want to anchor on a big ebb with a westerly wind unless you know whats gonna happen...

You have to learn your area and get to know what happens during winds from certain directions at different strengths in combination to the ebb or flood tides. You can only do that by being out there and seeing it for yourself. In Sooke a classic example of what can happen is: on a strong westerly, lets say 22 mph at Sheringham and 32 mph at Race Rocks (Race consistently has 10 mph more wind then Sheringham) with a strong outflow ebb tide. It will be ugly rough from the harbour entrance at Whiffen Spit all the way across the bluffs and up west to Otter Point. (a 4 mile **** ride) You won't make any time getting up to Otter because you will be in 3-5 footers. But once you break through the last of the rough water at Otter Point where the ebb current flows quickly and sweeps offshore from the point and stays about 1/4 to 1/2 mile off the beach the water inside this flow is very fishable. Often a 1 foot chop. This is because the strong ebb flow bending around Otter knocks down the 4-5 foot waves. You can fish in relatively calm water all morning so long as the ebb continues to keep the big waves on the outside. Most people will poke their nose around the spit at the harbour, take a couple of big waves over the bow and quickly turn around and go home. A few of us in the know pound our way slowly up to Otter and get a decent mornings fishing in with few boats around.

Rollie dont give away our secrets LOL

Spring... and some wonder why many have left this site. Wolf's comment is in fun..you just have issues.

It takes me 45 mins to trailer my boat to the ramp. I wish I lived close enough to be able to check water conditions out with my own eyes before trailering the boat and getting to the ramp.

Sounds like you are mainly concerned with southern SOG. Right now at Halibut Bank it is NW winds of 8-10 Kn, waves height of 1 ft every 3 seconds. Realize that wave height is an average & per the details published by Enviro Canada & NOAA expect that waves twice the height of average will be present. Wind, wave height, and wave period all affect comfort/safely. Also wind tends to come from a southerly direction in winter & a northerly direction in summer. I'd rate the location of the Halibut bank bouy as highly exposed. Depending on where you are actually fishing and the route you take to get there, it is highly likely that the conditions you encounter will be milder. Depending on the size of your boat I might recommend alternate locations as trolling a small boat in lot's of wind is very unpleasant.

all joking and minor offenses aside - I believe we should be doing whatever we can to help other boaters stay safe - including sharing our hard-earned knowledge of the local conditions. We all benefit that way...

It’s interesting to look at the differences between swell and wave height as well. Many think it’s the same thing but it can be significantly different particularly as you get more into open sea. In addition to current and wind , wave height is also very much affected by bottom slope, bottom features and depth. Many of these factors are not available in generic large area forecasts, but are well known to locals who are familiar with their areas and though the might not know why, the know what they’ve experienced. Always good to share.

I cross the halibut bank a lot on my way 2.5 hrs up the strait to my cabin. I notice the waves get a lot bigger over the two banks, so when the wind is bucking the tide, I usually go around the banks rather than pound through bigger waves.

It's amazing that waves are affected even by the bottom when it's still 180' deep.

I believe we should be doing whatever we can to help other boaters stay safe - including sharing our hard-earned knowledge of the local conditions. We all benefit that way...
I have tried MANY a time but most people who only have 1 day off say **** it and are going to do it 'THEIR WAY" one time I came in as it was like 5 footers out front tried to tell this guy with his gf that I came in because it was nasty (dead calm in Marina btw) guy says i have a whaler it can handle anything...... uuuummmmm ok. when I saw them a again asked how did that day go instantly her face went to anger apparently when he hit the first wave and it came up and over the boat and soaked her she was scared and pissed off , she told me .....I have tried many a time to warn people but they figure they know best so now I say have fun .....

I agree wolf - that it is no point in trying to reason w somebody who refuses to listen - and one can't "fix" stupid, neither (the ocean has it's own way of fixing that). There is even a Darwin awards website to illustrate that reality: https://darwinawards.com/

I have been involved in far too many SARs over the years. Seen the trauma it leaves on families. So I still try at least once, usually. Most people are open to new information that might help them stay safe and alive - most - but not all.

I'm always trying myself to think ahead of what might go wrong and how I might be prepared and act to that challenge. That helps with 1st the "panic" that can happen if one is not prepared and something happens. It also happens to reduce the reaction time and increase the success of those actions.

I find it both entertaining yet practical to share stories of near-fatalities and incidents with fellow mariners - esp. over a beer/scotch. That way you already have an idea of what can go wrong and possible ways - both right and wrong - of how to deal with it. I think they call that transfer of "TEK" nowadays - rather than having a good BS.

I'm always trying myself to think ahead of what might go wrong and how I might be prepared and act to that challenge. That helps with 1st the "panic" that can happen if one is not prepared and something happens. It also happens to reduce the reaction time and increase the success of those actions.
This is some of the best advice I’ve ever read on this forum. As someone who regularly flirted with the line of fish ability for many years I found myself doing exactly this

Totally agree me personally I error on the side of being over protective if its too rough I simply dont go ... I have had many a client ask me how much is too rough for you ? I always say if its uncomfortable for me I know it is for you a fish isnt worth it... ive had many clients tell me "this guide" took me in 7 footers and it wasn't fun...after doing this for 35 years ive seen a lot of really bad decisions. And the worst part when **** goes sideways its usually in bad weather...or when people try and stretch out as long as they think if weather is coming get out before it hits always safer....

Back