water in the oil

The other test you could try is a vacuum test. Take a vacuum gauge and hook it to a vacuum line that would be coming out of the intake manifold. Without getting into a long winded explanation on this the vacuum test and the compression test are probably THE 2 best tests to perform on a older carburated engine such as this one. Any repair manual,such as seloc or clymer will explain how to do this and will also explain what the readings mean. You can learn tremendous amounts about any engine with these two simple tests. Good luck.

I think I understand what you are saying. You aren't losing any anti-freeze in your expansion tank(storage/ rad). So that should mean that the anti-freeze is circulating through the block, etc. without any leaks. I would think then the raw water side, if your fresh water cooling set up is similar to mine, goes through the heat exchanger and then gets pumped into one end of each exhaust manifold and then up through the riser, thus cooling the exhaust manifold, the riser and cooling the hot exhaust gas before going out the leg. The only way for raw water to get into the motor from this side of the cooling system is if the riser or manifold is corroded through.
There is one other thing. There is something called valve overlap. Without trying to get to technical, because I'm not a mechanic, but have learned a bit over the years now, this is where the exhaust valve has to be timed precisely to not allow water to be drawn into the combustion chamber. This is the difference between a car engine and a marinized engine. A car engine deals in a dry exhaust system whereas the same block for a boat deals in a wet exhaust system. Obviously a very important difference.

I think I understand what you are saying. You aren't losing any anti-freeze in your expansion tank(storage/ rad). So that should mean that the anti-freeze is circulating through the block, etc. without any leaks. I would think then the raw water side, if your fresh water cooling set up is similar to mine, goes through the heat exchanger and then gets pumped into one end of each exhaust manifold and then up through the riser, thus cooling the exhaust manifold, the riser and cooling the hot exhaust gas before going out the leg. The only way for raw water to get into the motor from this side of the cooling system is if the riser or manifold is corroded through.
There is one other thing. There is something called valve overlap. Without trying to get to technical, because I'm not a mechanic, but have learned a bit over the years now, this is where the exhaust valve has to be timed precisely to not allow water to be drawn into the combustion chamber. This is the difference between a car engine and a marinized engine. A car engine deals in a dry exhaust system whereas the same block for a boat deals in a wet exhaust system. Obviously a very important difference.

quote:Originally posted by the runt

Thanks guys,it's sounds like manifold problems.Daddys toy the answer how i might come up withflush water is my rad. water is still full.Fly tyer odd you said that.Pulled pugs drained water[nice eh]new plugs,fired up sounded good.went to the garage still running.engine pitch changed boat was engulfed in a cloud of smoke.shut it down black oil residue inside prop hub and on transom.Checked rad water still full.checked oil whie and about 2 inches higher on stick.Will call mechanic on new risers,let you know what it costs,if motor isn't shot.Thanks for all your help:(

thanks the runt

Does your engine have an oil cooler? (not for the power steering, but for the engine itself)

If so, that's where the oil and water may be mixing if one of the tubes is gone.

quote:Originally posted by the runt

Thanks guys,it's sounds like manifold problems.Daddys toy the answer how i might come up withflush water is my rad. water is still full.Fly tyer odd you said that.Pulled pugs drained water[nice eh]new plugs,fired up sounded good.went to the garage still running.engine pitch changed boat was engulfed in a cloud of smoke.shut it down black oil residue inside prop hub and on transom.Checked rad water still full.checked oil whie and about 2 inches higher on stick.Will call mechanic on new risers,let you know what it costs,if motor isn't shot.Thanks for all your help:(

thanks the runt

Does your engine have an oil cooler? (not for the power steering, but for the engine itself)

If so, that's where the oil and water may be mixing if one of the tubes is gone.

If you are getting white "smoke" out the exhaust in large amounts there would be water entering the cylinder. Likely from a blown head gasket or cracked head.

If you are getting white "smoke" out the exhaust in large amounts there would be water entering the cylinder. Likely from a blown head gasket or cracked head.

I had the same problem a couple years ago...manifold cracked. Simple repair, fairly cheap aftermartket parts available. When I had the problem, I talked to a marine mechanic...he said 99% of the time it is a manifold or riser, NOT a head gasket.
I pulled the manifold (I only had one to check as it was a 4 banger), and filled the cooling jacket with water. The water leaked through into the manifold giving confirmation of a crack in the wall between the water jacket and manifold.

I had the same problem a couple years ago...manifold cracked. Simple repair, fairly cheap aftermartket parts available. When I had the problem, I talked to a marine mechanic...he said 99% of the time it is a manifold or riser, NOT a head gasket.
I pulled the manifold (I only had one to check as it was a 4 banger), and filled the cooling jacket with water. The water leaked through into the manifold giving confirmation of a crack in the wall between the water jacket and manifold.

Sounds like the water from your manifolds was leaking into the cylinders a little but when you saw the poof of smoke may have become a more seriouse leak.
If it is your manifolds you will want to do a compression check to make sure no valves are damaged from water intrusion.
I had 2 exhaust valves fail because of leaking manifolds.

Let us know how you make out.

Sounds like the water from your manifolds was leaking into the cylinders a little but when you saw the poof of smoke may have become a more seriouse leak.
If it is your manifolds you will want to do a compression check to make sure no valves are damaged from water intrusion.
I had 2 exhaust valves fail because of leaking manifolds.

Let us know how you make out.

Head gasket....nuff said

Campbell River: Ex "Salmon Capital of the World".....I hope not.......Terry

21' Monaro

Back