Wash down pump stumper. HELP! :)

barkerfam

The story starts with my wash down pump not working on my new to me boat. Jabsco 60 psi.

online search.

Probably pressure switch.

Remove pump.

pump runs when switch bypassed.

replace switch.

now runs when connected to separate 12V battery. I think I’m a hero!

wire pump back into boat

it doesn’t work

check wire leads from breaker to switch to pump. All 12.9 v.

cut wires to pump again. Check the wires just before the pump. 12.9.

is pump broken?

test the pump on separate 12v battery. Works like a charm.

I have NO IDEA.

Runs when connected to separate battery. Not when connected to wire carrying 12.9v.

Any ideas????

thank you.

Hows the ground part of that circuit in the boat?

Hows the ground part of that circuit in the boat?
I’m not sure how to specifically test it. When I put the multimeter on the power and ground wires just before I get to the pump it is a constant 12.9v. Did not check for amperage.

And when I run the power wire to the pump and then ground the pump to the main ground nearby nothing happens.

I’m not sure how to specifically test it. When I put the multimeter on the power and ground wires just before I get to the pump it is a constant 12.9v. Did not check for amperage.

And when I run the power wire to the pump and then ground the pump to the main ground nearby nothing happens.
corrosion can cause this bad contact. Meter can read 12.9v and the connection is insufficient to run the motor. Like profisher mentioned look at the ground could just be a bad contact somewhere.

corrosion can cause this bad contact. Meter can read 12.9v and the connection is insufficient to run the motor. Like profisher mentioned look at the ground could just be a bad contact somewhere.
I will definitely check for corrosion on the ground side. Already did some new ends on the power side.

I think I have the same pump as you and I find it a little tricky to get it to start pumping while on the water sometimed. I open the seacock and turn the pump on at the helm switch. Then I open the trigger on the sprayer and it can take a bit for the pump to prime and then kick on and pump.

Mine does that as well. I'm actually having trouble with mine right now too. I cam hear it humming away but no water. Do these systems ever get clogged?

Mine does that as well. I'm actually having trouble with mine right now too. I cam hear it humming away but no water. Do these systems ever get clogged?
They can get clogged..I put an inline filter on mine which is just a simple clear plastic screw on bowl type with a fine mesh metal screen. When mine starts to take longer priming or the pressure drops I know its time to unscrew the bowl and clean out the screen. The filter is made specific for washdowns...places like Trotac carry them.

Appreciate all the comments.

unlike @Rain City, no hum from mine. I do have the inline filter. Mine is still a power issue of unknown origin.

HB

Funny you should say that RC, I left my helm switch on last fall by mistake overnight and came out in the morning to hear that humming sound. The seacock was closed but it may have lost it’s prime and was pumping dry so I blew the new pump and had to replace it, live and learn.

I will definitely check for corrosion on the ground side. Already did some new ends on the power side.
Take the Ground off that you now have on , replace it with a new ground wire , easy ! or to check for brake, put an ohms meter on it and check the ground wire from bat to pump or continuity to see if you have a circuit on the pump wires.

Easy fix, run new wires directly from the battery
the batteries are 12' away. :)

Access isn't the simplest thing but doable. I will search for the grounding cable route in the stern.

Appreciate the inputs. Thank you!

HB

I would just assume its a rotten wire issue...wire is cheap..buy a new ground wire and use the old one to pull the new one to the ground bus. If your problem isn't resolved you eliminated the ground side and it is good for years now.

The story starts with my wash down pump not working on my new to me boat. Jabsco 60 psi.

online search.

Remove pump.

replace switch.

wire pump back into boat

it doesn’t work

is pump broken?

I have NO IDEA.

Runs when connected to separate battery. Not when connected to wire carrying 12.9v.

Any ideas????

thank you.
Wire are shot, they oxidized from the inside, as soon you put a load they crap out( surging) replace the wire with fresh wires and it will work, those pumps are amp hogs, without the proper amp they will not go, i would bet money on this one lol

Sorry to derail, however I have an outlet spigot or tap, mounted near the gunnel on a new to me boat, and I assume it is for a washdown hose to attach. Should I automatically assume there is a pump somewhere, as the faucet mounted in the galley is a manual pump. If there is a pump, as I assume, it's not working either. Please carry on with this informative discussion.

Sorry to derail, however I have an outlet spigot or tap, mounted near the gunnel on a new to me boat, and I assume it is for a washdown hose to attach. Should I automatically assume there is a pump somewhere, as the faucet mounted in the galley is a manual pump. If there is a pump, as I assume, it's not working either. Please carry on with this informative discussion.
Get access to the back of your tap, see where it goes, pump might be seized, or wire issues, or no pump at all

online search.

Remove pump.

replace switch.

wire pump back into boat

it doesn’t work

is pump broken?

I have NO IDEA.

Any ideas????

thank you.
harbor chandler sells all the wire you could need and free shipping on orders above $120. They are super friendly and I ordered the heat shrink connectors from there too. Basically my entire boat got a new electrical system from there. ACR fuse block downriggers ect.

the batteries are 12' away. :)

Access isn't the simplest thing but doable. I will search for the grounding cable route in the stern.

Appreciate the inputs. Thank you!

HB
I know what you mean, I just yanked mine out and put it in a more accessible location, where it was it was impossible to work on . Good luck and ya check that ground out for sure

Back