'Warm blob' of water in Pacific Ocean could hurt salmon

It's tiresome OBD, can you just give it a break?
What your pet theory is and how it effects salmon is lost to me.
Do you simply what to just fight or something?
Can you just concentrate on being a good steward for our salmon and not go wacky on us?
Perhaps give Judy a call and offer help with fry salvage......
There are many things going on that you could help with and show some leadership with.
It is beyond me why you don't do so.

Here is one of the reasons.
You with your subtle remarks.

The article said it has nothing to do with global warming, but no you just have to say it does.
You want to imply things about people, then be prepared to defend your thoughts.

When you want to be civil and look at all sides without demeaning people over their ideals let me know.

OBD help us with the math here
From the 1999 Discovery Magazine article describing the megaplumes.

and then this from the same article

So for a megaplume to be 1,000 miles wide and the temp 100 times warmer you would need an eruption of an undersea volcano or vent in the order of 10s of thousands of times more then what has been documented in the Discovery article. You would think that someone would have noticed something like that. Or, perhaps you could just go with what the thousands of scientists are saying that climate change is real and it's caused by all the CO2 we are dumping into the air. The effect has science and observation backing it and some old guy that has the ability to create a PDF, with a theory called Plate Climatology, that get posted by a climate denial website might not make sense. You be the judge ... crazy bus or science.... pick one.

... And no religion is involved here. When was the last time you saw a religious scientist?

Quite regularly actually. Contrary to popular opinion, regardless of an individuals belief system (religious, agnostic or atheistic) I think it is quite compatible for there to be a 'religious scientist', they are not mutually exclusive.

On another note, this thread has become redundant and circular and more and more seems to be becoming more about personal attacks. I have no status here on this site, I owe no one anything and I have no allegiance to any one but this has evolved into not just the flogging of a dead horse but a rotten corpse of a dead horse. Agree to disagree and move on, there is no 'debate' here any longer (I use the term loosely) and this thread is so far beyond being hijacked.

Here is one of the reasons.
You with your subtle remarks.

The article said it has nothing to do with global warming, but no you just have to say it does.
You want to imply things about people, then be prepared to defend your thoughts.

When you want to be civil and look at all sides without demeaning people over their ideals let me know.

Yes I agree with every random thought you have every day.
Happy now.....
Get on with your life.... we all have little time in this world, now make it productive.
Create something... make something better.... be a force for good.
Stop watching TV and go outside and do something healthy
Just do it.

Quite regularly actually. Contrary to popular opinion, regardless of an individuals belief system (religious, agnostic or atheistic) I think it is quite compatible for there to be a 'religious scientist', they are not mutually exclusive.

On another note, this thread has become redundant and circular and more and more seems to be becoming more about personal attacks. I have no status here on this site, I owe no one anything and I have no allegiance to any one but this has evolved into not just the flogging of a dead horse but a rotten corpse of a dead horse. Agree to disagree and move on, there is no 'debate' here any longer (I use the term loosely) and this thread is so far beyond being hijacked.

Thanks for insight and......reminding me of this.

Back on subject. Note the date 2002. Just learning.

NOAA Ocean Explorer: Submarine Ring of Fire 2002: Magic Mountain Virtual Site

nepac_220.jpg
Magic Mountain is a hydrothermal vent site located on Explorer Ridge in the NE Pacific Ocean, about 150 miles west of Vancouver Island.

Where is Magic Mountain?

Magic Mountain is a hydrothermal vent site located on Explorer Ridge in the NE Pacific Ocean, about 150 miles west of Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. Explorer Ridge is a spreading center where two tectonic plates are spreading apart and submarine volcanoes erupt.

This volcanic activity brings heat near the surface and creates seafloor hot springs, called hydrothermal vents. The hot spring fluids contain dissolved chemicals that build mineralized chimneys and nourish an unusual ecosystem of microbes and animals that flourish in this hostile environment. The Magic Mountain hydrothermal vent site was first visited briefly in the early-1980's, but was not fully explored until the 2002 Submarine Ring of Fire Expedition, when it was discovered that the site included over 50 individual vents! The Magic Mountain Virtual Site helps visitors see what this spectacular site really looks like, without having to travel to the seafloor! Users can visit each of the four chimney fields within the Magic Mountain vent site.
http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explorations/02fire/logs/photolog/photolog.html

Come on OBD enough....

beating-dead-horse.gif

Did not ask for your approval.
Do not like the article, do not read it.

Quite quite funny coming from you.

They think this might have an effect on warming waters.

You asked where some of these are. 150 Miles,off Vancouver island is pretty close.
Might have an effect on the huge red tide as well.

Yes sir.... but your not on topic.

Quite quite funny coming from you.

They think this might have an effect on warming waters.

You asked where some of these are. 150 Miles,off Vancouver island is pretty close.
Might have an effect on the huge red tide as well.

Who are they...???

And now your saying that under water volcanoes are responsible for red tide?
That is quite a list your are accumulating for things that are responsible for under water volcanoes. Have you been keeping track?

So, do you know what causes red tide? Look it up as I guess you were not here,when it was here.
We have had it here before and will again.

How would you know what effect under water volcanoes has?

Scientists are just starting to study them, so go ahead and tell us how you know more.
I thought you said there weren't any?

Who are they...???

And now your saying that under water volcanoes are responsible for red tide?
That is quite a list your are accumulating for things that are responsible for under water volcanoes. Have you been keeping track?

So, do you know what causes red tide? Look it up as I guess you were not here,when it was here.
We have had it here before and will again.

How would you know what effect under water volcanoes has?

Scientists are just starting to study them, so go ahead and tell us how you know more.
I thought you said there weren't any?

Yes I know it's hard.....

Read this, they explain how they find these vents, they are looking for a temp anomaly of less then .1 C
They are looking at depth not on the surface.
http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/eoi/PlumeStudies/AnomalyPage.html

It's a fine to WAG what you think but you need to think about what you are suggesting.

Currently there is a SST in the SoG that is 3 or 4 C different then the west coast.
Is this caused by a volcano? No.... it's the SUN
Surely as an angler you have heard of a thermocline.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermocline

The sun, really, who knew you were aware that there was one and it is the biggest source of heat on the planet.
Even your group of warmers do not think the sun is important , but then they do not know how the earth works yet as their projections show.

It is El Niño that is warming the water as science told us.

The blob is being looked at by science and they do not have the answers yet.
They put the ring of fire as a possible source.
So, until they show us their facts all is on the table.
Your arguing about other people's opinions who are trained in sciences is just a waste of time.

Let's see what the professionals say.

Cut and copy of facts is ok.

Yes I know it's hard.....

Read this, they explain how they find these vents, they are looking for a temp anomaly of less then .1 C
They are looking at depth not on the surface.
http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/eoi/PlumeStudies/AnomalyPage.html

It's a fine to WAG what you think but you need to think about what you are suggesting.

Currently there is a SST in the SoG that is 3 or 4 C different then the west coast.
Is this caused by a volcano? No.... it's the SUN
Surely as an angler you have heard of a thermocline.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermocline

Yes, Global Warming, Global Cooling and everything in between.

But I do not believe in MAN MADE Global Warming.

This is not about man made co2 warming, this is about money and power.
This is about Governments bullshitting people into believing it is happening.
Go back and look at all the projections made by the scientists, look at how wrong they are. Yet they still are selling the same stuff.
If you do any real looking on this it smells of a huge setup.

Governments would never do this would they? Let's look at what our government does using science to get their way.
Look at the post on fish farms, NO ONE believes our government scientists!!!
They all think they are lying for the government.
Even the ones that think there is man made global warming, LOL. Tells you something.

Need more, the satellite's which measure the Worlds Temperatures show no warming over the last 18 years and 6 months, yet every day the press says it is getting warmer?

Computer,programs saying things will be hotter have now been proven to be full of ****.
See that in the press?

This is all about money and billions of dollars, nothing to,do,with global,warming.

People who have time to look up facts now are sceptics.

Since you have been fishing on the ocean, how much has the ocean risen?
Have you looked at all the cottages and houses on the beaches that have been there for years.
Why are they not under water? Everybody said they would be. Really?

I could go on for ever about all the stupid things they said would happen.
All ********.

Get them to explain how they are so wrong on this attached graph.
They should never be this wrong.

Old black dog

Do you truly believe that climate change is not true?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 125
Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to say this for the last time. This is a FISHING website and yet somehow, a couple of you can't help yourself and turn this into your own personal playground to throw sand at each other, while you debate global warming. If you want to debate global warming online, find a forum that is based on GLOBAL WARMING. There will be no more warnings. The next time a mudslinging event occurs around this topic you will get banned from the forum.

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/thousands-red-crabs-invade-southern-california-shores

Thousands of Red Crabs Invade Southern California Shores

June 18, 2015 | by Aamna Mohdin

Photo credit: Thousands of red tuna crabs on San Diego beaches. Scripps Institution of Oceanography

Beaches from San Diego to Orange County have been invaded by tiny red tuna crabs. Hundreds of thousands of these crabs have washed ashore due to warmer ocean temperatures, which are carrying them further north than usual.

“They are all still alive. They are in the surfline and swimming up,” Donna Kalez, manager of Dana Wharf Sportfishing, who spotted the unusual sight, told OC Register. “Once they get this close to shore, they can’t go anywhere, so they just wash in. They aren’t strong enough to swim out,”

While the vast majority of the red crabs have been dying, some have been washed back out to sea alive.

Scripps Institution of Oceanography

These red tuna crabs, Pleuroncodes planipes, usually inhabit the west coast of Baja California, Gulf of California, and the California Current. According to the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, though they are commonly referred to as red crabs, they are not ‘true crabs.’ This species usually live in the water column from larvae to adulthood, but some adult crabs have been known to live just above the seafloor and move to the surface to feed on phytoplankton. They’re typically around three inches (7.5 centimeters) in length.

"This is definitely a warm-water indicator," Linsey Sala, collection manager for the Pelagic Invertebrates Collection at the University of California, told Reuters. "Whether it's directly related to El Nino [sic] or other oceanographic conditions is not certain."

The first question on many people’s mind was can we eat them? There were reports that some people were taking the red tuna crabs home, but the Scripps Institution of Oceanography advises against it “due to unknown toxins that may be present within the crabs.” In particular, the scientists noted the biggest toxic algae bloom in the Pacific Ocean, which stretches from California north to Washington state, though they’re unsure how it might be related to red tuna crabs.

These red tuna crabs aren’t the only creatures that have been spotted along the coast this year; the OC Register has reported sightings of “blue, jellyfish-like creatures known as by-the-wind sailors” and “tropical fish like yellowtail and bluefin tuna.”

Attachments

• crabs.jpg
    crabs.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 76
Back