Volunteering for the Pncima Forum

Dogbreath

Just spent 2 days volunteering @ the Pncima (pen-see-ma) forum http://www.pncima.org/

It's quite an ambitious undertaking with some of the participants actively disliking each other mainly because of their competing interests.

As you can see from the site it's not just about fish but given the sorry state of many stocks may just be their best hope.

Overall quite a congenial group, a very well run conference in a great</u> venue.

I worked registration mostly and met some great folks from all over the coast. [8D]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

Good on ya DB for volunteering there. I was able to watch a bit of the webcast while at work. Glad to hear this may bode well for fish. That should benefit fishermen in the long run. What are the next steps?

quote:Originally posted by cuttlefish
Good on ya DB for volunteering there. I was able to watch a bit of the webcast while at work. Glad to hear this may bode well for fish. That should benefit fishermen in the long run. What are the next steps?

Well from what I could gather the next step is to show Ottawa that given the excellent attendance record (over 90% of the people invited attended and there were representatives from all sectors) people in BC are in track to developing this idea and use that as a way to lever more money to take the process forward, hold more meetings and sharpen the focus.

Glad to hear you caught some on the web as webcasting is very much the way of the future today.

Do tell Carl, please elaborate. Unfortunately, I was away and returned from Cuba two days to late. I was interested in this forum, I would love to hear more about it, as I am sure others would too. Please share! Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

quote:Originally posted by mason.jar

Do tell Carl, please elaborate. Unfortunately, I was away and returned from Cuba two days to late. I was interested in this forum, I would love to hear more about it, as I am sure others would too. Please share! Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]
A little late with this update here's a C&P from another site.

Next Steps
The next steps for the Steering Committee will be to develop options from all the input gathered at the forum and circulate the options on the pncima.org website. Feedback will be sought and the input used to develop the process.

The PNCIMA Steering Committee reported at the end of the forum on short and medium term activities. These include:

* Development of a stakeholder engagement strategy
* Publishing Forum notes and discussions on the pncima.org website
* Establishing principals and agreement to move forward with a Marine Transportation and Working Group and how this working group relates to the larger PNCIMA planning model
* Development of community level meetings for local participation
* Finalization of the Gwaii Haanas National Marine Conservation Area process.

The steering committee reported that PNCIMA needs to be:

* Collaborative
* Inclusive
* Respectful
* Committed
* Planning needs to be ecosystem based.

The next big forum will be in the fall of 2010. Between now and then regional meetings will be organized to gather input.

For information on how you can participate and about events that may be hosted in your community, go to the forum website, or phone the PNCIMA Secretariat, the branch of Fisheries and Oceans Canada organizing the forum, at 604-666-2873 or email info@pncima.org

For more in depth information about PNCIMA and the perspective of Living Oceans and our ENGO partners, visit: PncimaMatters.ca r

Back