Voltage Sensing Relay

Big Zeke

How many of you folks are using this type of relay to control charging on a dual battery setup? I was chatting with my boat mechanic and he swears by them as a good way to ensure that both batteries are fully charged. In my current setup I run both batteries off the main engine while under power and then switch my selector onto the house battery to ensure the starting battery does not get run down by the downriggers etc.

Not exactly free (roughly $250 in parts between the relay and isolator switch) but a lot cheaper than trying to pull start a 4.3.

Zeke

A couple of years ago I installed the Blue Sea ACR system. Very simple to install and cost me $100. It charges both batteries as needed. Google it there is lot's of info on it. I only turn the swtich to the on or off position. You can also set the switch to combine but you only do that in an emergency to start the motor.

Ditto. I used to have to open the engine hood every time I went out to switch between 1, 2, Both, or off depending on whether I was running, trolling or just drifting while Hali fishing. With the Blue Seas ACR system, I simply leave the switch in the on position and enjoy the day.

+1 for the Blue Seas Add A Battery ACR system. Does exactly the same thing your multi-battery switch does now, just automates the process. You're always charging both batteries when an engine is running, start battery is always isolated when no engine is running. From memory that mini kit suitable for fishing type boats is about $150 and the wire and fittings to make the new connections is another $50-80. Definitely worth it.

I was thinking about this earlier this week. Right now I have threes switches. "Battery 1", "Battery 2", and "House", obviously house takes power from whichever battery switch is on. I wonder if I would be better off adding an ACR to that (As that way you can individually isolate/diagnose a flat battery), or just going with the single switch for simplicities sake.

The ACR "Add a battery" kit looks really simple. They make nice stuff.

Also, does anyone know you can get a rectifier/charge kit for a decade old 8hp honda kicker? :)

I have the ACR as well. I was finding a voltage drop on main engine start that would kill my electonics sometimes (225 Yam). That drove me to have to shut off all the GPS/Sounders/radios before starting the main. Once I installed the ACR, the voltage drop diminished dramatically and I found I could leave the electronics on without fear of drop out. I didn't like turning off electronics when I was off shore for risk of restart failure. The ACR also keeps both batteries well charged even after trolling all day on the 8HP Yamaha. Their tech support line in Bellingham offers great service if you need to talk to them.

The output of your alternator will determine whether you can use the full size or mini Blue Seas ACR kit. The alternator on my 5.0 L Volvo Penta pumps out enough amps to require the larger unit.
I had the same problem, pescador. Every time I went to start my big engine, I had to make sure my switch was on both to ensure sufficient voltage so as not to kill my electronics. Don't have to worry about that now.

I purchased 2 of the blueseas acr's and another switch (to make 3 switches total) this winter. will be installing in the spring. I'll have 2 batteries dedicated for starting, 2 batteries dedicated to house electronics, and 1 or 2 (undecided at this point) dedicated for anchor winch, downriggers, etc...
when you have your system setup properly you should be able to turn your switches on at the beginning of a trip (multi day, etc), and turn them off at the end of your trip.... everything should look after itself once it's setup properly. peace of mind. no switching between bank1, bank2, etc...
blueseas acr's should almost be mandatory on most boats with multiple batteries in this day and age. can eliminate alot of grief.

Back