Video Camera

Steelhead S2

I am looking for advice on video cameras. With a new fishing partner joining the family soon, I'm going to need one. And I figure, why not get one that can handle the great outdoors too. So, I am looking for info on video cameras that take a good shot inside and can join me on the river or the chuck without worry. Possibly even with underwater capacities. I don't know anything about this technology, so any advice helps. Thanks.

And, yes, I realize that there may be a little less time on the river and the chuck for the next few years.

The Pentax WP series are awsome! i've had mine for three years now. Great underwater video and pics

I'd recommend the Flip video cameras. They are dead simple to use -- aim and point a button. They shoot 2 hours of HD video. It has a USB interface that flips out of the side to dock it in your PC, that's also the way you charge it (or can be done via adapter). Best thing, it comes with a video sharing site that allows you to post and share videos with friends/family without having to email the huge video file to them. Quality of the videos is outstanding. You can get a waterproof case for them on Amazon. Rugged design without a bunch of moving parts means you can hand it to the kids and they can't break it.

http://www.theflip.com/en-ca/Products/

I bought a Kodak Playsport
It does 5mp photos and HD video, can film underwater, and easily fits in your pocket. I'm pretty happy with it.

They are $130 at London Drugs, or I got mine for $120 on amazon and included a free $30 SDHC card. So cheap enough that it won't break your heart when (not if) it is lost or broken. The seals are pretty flimsy, designed for playing around, not heavy duty use.

Check out some fishing videos I made from it this year.

One thing I don't like on it is the zoom sucks, very poor image stabilization, so you basically can't zoom with it. Also, it films the subject very close up (so you can be snorkelling well above the fishies and seem close I'm guessing), so you have to get used to being a little further back than normal.

All in all, recommended.

Look for one that has a very wide angle lens. Boat decks are small, and you will not be able to get far enough away from your subject to get everything in frame without panning back and forth and up and down.

I have a Canon video camera that is just great, considering it was one of the cheapest available at the time. It uses Mini-DV tapes. Now days, you should look for one that writes to flash memory chips such as SDHC chips - you can record for hours on those.

The pentax WP's are good for and all round point and click/video/under water.... Love mine for that all round versatile-ness.

Congrats S2 on the up-in-comer
7.gif

I have an idea for soon...be in touch

gopro:D use it for mountain bike'n, fish'n, wheelin, oh and home ****:eek:

gopro:D use it for mountain bike'n, fish'n, wheelin, oh and home ****:eek:

Maybe some examples..... just so we can see the image quality of said camera
4.gif

LMAO JK :)

Try the Sanyo Xacti. I bought one 2 years ago for $239 at Best Buy in Vancouver. Went back and bought 4 others for friends/family. Everyone loves it. Takes photos, fits in your pocket and you can record a couple of hours with one battery and and a 4 GB memory card. I beat it to death on the boat. Rough weather, passing it around to people who don't have a clue how to use a camera. The quality is as good as it gets and its simple....They have a special water proof version but I find my regular version fine.

I have the flip. Although I havent had it in the outdoors it is great for around the house with the family. It couldnt be any easier to use and that also makes it easily accessable around the house at time when you wouldn't normally think of using a video camera. Easy to upload the video to the computer and it isnt all that expensive.

TT

Get a Flip. Gave both my daughters Flip's when the First Grandbabies were born. The younger one uses it all the time. Is very handy and small enough to keep in the diaper bag. Oldest GB is now 2.5 years and loves to watch the videos on the camera when she is bored with other things.

Back