Victoria Spring, and Halibut Summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a picture of a halibut hog tied from this weekend.

Aug282010SCcropped.jpg

LC, I think you forgot how it is to fish out of a 17' or smaller boat... you sit in your 26' tank and can talk easily that a hali may not be able to destroy your fortress. I have had ungood feelings seeing 60# halis flying around the small deck of a 17' boat and it is not very unlikely that they can thrash important parts of a small boat or trip or hurt a passenger. I would not under estimate those bundles of pure muscle. Craven has posted a very easy and simple rig to hog tie them outside the boat. We do that all the time after the hali is pooned. Recently I hog tied a hali outside my boat with just a simple rope - had no gaff nor poon as we picked it up trolling for salmon. Deewar got a bit wet in the process but it worked ok.

Those guys on the wall probably stayed for a few more casts LOLb:D

quote:Originally posted by chris73

LC, I think you forgot how it is to fish out of a 17' or smaller boat... you sit in your 26' tank and can talk easily that a hali may not be able to destroy your fortress. I have had ungood feelings seeing 60# halis flying around the small deck of a 17' boat and it is not very unlikely that they can thrash important parts of a small boat or trip or hurt a passenger. I would not under estimate those bundles of pure muscle. Craven has posted a very easy and simple rig to hog tie them outside the boat. We do that all the time after the hali is pooned. Recently I hog tied a hali outside my boat with just a simple rope - had no gaff nor poon as we picked it up trolling for salmon. Deewar got a bit wet in the process but it worked ok.

me a bit wet, you a bit bloody - yep, they will chomp down if you give em a chance :D

quote:Originally posted by chris73

I understand it may bea bit easy in my rig, but Bee15 and another well known local guy have dealt with 200+ pounders in 16 and 17 footers. It can be done. I guess at the end of the day have fun and and do what must be done to be safe.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

quote:Originally posted by Dave S

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

I had a 90 pounder that I was sitting on, my knife was no where to be found, my bonker was out of reach, so I punched it twice above the eyes as hard as I could. It didn't do much after that. And I've dealt with plenty of other big ones by bonking, stomping, kicking and don't forget to cut across the tail and break the back bone there, it will bleed out niceley and seems to stun MOST of them.

The days of halibut "sinking" boats are from when you have a wood boat made out of planks and nails that a little girl could kick apart.

Anyone wanna watch how to kill big hali's should watch myself, Wolf and Banannas this coming spring :D

I was pretty confident this fish was not gonna sink the boat, especially after the bonks to the head and a dozen or so stabs to the gill plate.

I would love to see you punch, kick, stomp, beat, elbow and whatever you feel like doing to take down your next hali. I recon you post a video on youtube and the hits will keep rolling in. All in the name of education right! ;)

I have a 1080i cam I've meant to install on my deck, maybe it will be up. I was using punching it as an example, most halis get bonked, tail slashed, and into the hold on a typical day.

I just mentioned it as an example to show they are not the mythical "Kraken" that will down unwary sailors, they, at the end of the day are just a fish out of water.

www.swiftsurebank.com

quote:Originally posted by Dave S

I had a 90 pounder that I was sitting on, my knife was no where to be found, my bonker was out of reach, so I punched it twice above the eyes as hard as I could. It didn't do much after that. And I've dealt with plenty of other big ones by bonking, stomping, kicking and don't forget to cut across the tail and break the back bone there, it will bleed out niceley and seems to stun MOST of them.

The days of halibut "sinking" boats are from when you have a wood boat made out of planks and nails that a little girl could kick apart.

Anyone wanna watch how to kill big hali's should watch myself, Wolf and Banannas this coming spring :D

I was pretty confident this fish was not gonna sink the boat, especially after the bonks to the head and a dozen or so stabs to the gill plate.

I would love to see you punch, kick, stomp, beat, elbow and whatever you feel like doing to take down your next hali. I recon you post a video on youtube and the hits will keep rolling in. All in the name of education right! ;)

I have a 1080i cam I've meant to install on my deck, maybe it will be up. I was using punching it as an example, most halis get bonked, tail slashed, and into the hold on a typical day. When when you have a couple of them doing the "pancacke" on your deck, the heel of your boot applied in the right spot works wonders, then you unhook your leaders, kick 'em in the hold, and get the gear back down as fast as possible because when they move through, the bite is on. It's just the way I roll.

I just mentioned it as an example to show they are not the mythical "Kraken" that will down unwary sailors, they, at the end of the day are just a fish out of water.

Anyway, just my $0.02, at the end of the day, just make sure the boat comes home OK with everyone who set out in it.

www.swiftsurebank.com

www.swiftsurebank.com

Well, now that's it pretty much done i have to say that it's been
a dissapointing summer season for Chinook on the south island.
We had a good May and early June and then... nothing.
Although i didn't particpate in the Sockeye fishery, it was great to see this species proliferate where the others did not.

I'm sure there will be a few big ones to come yet, but doubt we will see the kind of numbers we did in 2009.

The upside is that Halibut are still open, and i hope to keep fishing them until winter Springs show up again in November sometime.

Craven, you may not have to wait until Nov - the last couple of years the winter springs showed up very early - I believe even late Sept already. Got to check my records but I am pretty sure I caught the first feeders still in Sept when still trying for the non-existent mature springs last fall.

Got into some Halibut today !
My partner hooked into a monster that took about 20 mins to get
to the boat, we estimated it to be over 5' long.
Shaking a little bit, i take aim and shove the harpoon right into
the backbone behind the head, Bad shot :( tried to shove it through , no luck.
Fuggin' fish goes ballistic heading to the bottom breaking the bead
chain. Boy did i feel like a $hit.

Partner drops his gear back down and 10 min's later , wham another big one on. This one was 55" , somewhere around 82 lbs.

82lbhalibut002-1.jpg

even tho the big springs will come to an end ,last year the coho action rolled into an insane amount of feeder springs right up until i took the boat out in January lets hope the DFO lets us keep a few of those hooked nose northerens(coho) it was very disheartening throwing back dieing coho only to watch them being gorged on by the waiting sea lions Remember a day boating is better than a day @ work and the fish are a bonus regards Sammy

Hope this goes through re Topic. What could you have done differently? I dont know, thats why Im asking Tx

B Gibb

quote:Originally posted by otter

Hope this goes through re Topic. What could you have done differently? I dont know, thats why Im asking Tx

B Gibb

i shot too close to the head, it figgers with the first big one...
maybe a few Luckies would have been in order :D
always go for the gut !

If it consoled you craven, I heard almost exactly the same story a few days ago from a friend who is otherwise a very experienced hali fisherman. You are not alone! ;)

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Got into some Halibut today !
My partner hooked into a monster that took about 20 mins to get
to the boat, we estimated it to be over 5' long.
Shaking a little bit, i take aim and shove the harpoon right into
the backbone behind the head, Bad shot :( tried to shove it through , no luck.
Fuggin' fish goes ballistic heading to the bottom breaking the bead
chain. Boy did i feel like a $hit.

Partner drops his gear back down and 10 min's later , wham another big one on. This one was 55" , somewhere around 82 lbs.

82lbhalibut002-1.jpg

Last year I caught a Hali with in-line puncture scars on its back and belly that looked exactly the same size as a poon head. Same thing.. right by/on its spine. When cleaning it I cut open its old wound and it was scar tissue right through. If your hali still had the spunk to thrash away that hard, perhaps Your giant may survive.
I will keep an eye out for her this weekend :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back