Victoria Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

lots of cookie cutters 8-10 showing up on the waterfront and flats in the last 3 days. A few bigger ones (whites) but not many.

beemer

Went out on the flats this eve with a buddy and had lots of action. 7 fish on in 2 hours. A double header on chinooks. All on coho killers deep. Put 2 red chinook in the box. Neither had any sign of eggs or sperm. 7-8lb. Both clipped. I can only assume they are US hatchery moving in for the winter. Small but feisty and healthy looking. It certainly felt like fall compared to the stretch we've just enjoyed.

Went out on the flats this eve with a buddy and had lots of action. 7 fish on in 2 hours. A double header on chinooks. All on coho killers deep. Put 2 red chinook in the box. Neither had any sign of eggs or sperm. 7-8lb. Both clipped. I can only assume they are US hatchery moving in for the winter. Small but feisty and healthy looking. It certainly felt like fall compared to the stretch we've just enjoyed.

Good news. Most of the winter chinook fishery around Sooke was sustained by clipped (presumably American) fish. They were present in numbers in November/Dec and again in Mar/April with a bit of a lull in between. Hopefully your catch means they will be here again this year in similar numbers.

Try Fairfax. A guy can usually whack-off a couple there...

Went out to the waterfront tonight, got to break in my new MR3, two little six pound wild coho. No keepers but it was a great quick little evening fish with my wife.

IMG_0230_zps05e69fbe.jpg

Some decent winters out there now averaging about 8lbs, couple of doubles and a few smalls released.
bonus was a 8lb hatch coho off the bottom at 120'

Pretty good day out there again, although the fish were a little smaller...
k.k spoons were the ticket this weekend.
:)

Decided to try the south side of Constance today, we went to the second tide line on the US side and hooked up with some nice Coho.
Got 8 hookups in 4 Hrs, lost 2 to seals, and kept 2 clips. The one clip we kept was HUGE, it measured 85cms ( I measured it so I could record it on the head recovery tag ) a guess on the weight
would be 17 to 19 lbs. It was good to see the Coho close to town, as I was getting tired of launching at Flemming and motoring to Sooke.
My guess is that the Coho are returning to the hatcheries in Puget Sound and could be caught in the right tide line from Renfrew to Border Bank, but thats just a guess.

Cheers
Rich

As of October 1st we can now keep on wild coho in the Victoria or Sooke area's? Have only been out a few times this year but am heading out on Tuesday with some friends.

Sorry I'm lazy this morning, found the information on it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Decided to try the south side of Constance today, we went to the second tide line on the US side and hooked up with some nice Coho.
Rich

hope you have a non resident WA license. telling the world you are breaking the law is not such a swift idea.

Why are you assuming he doesn't reel fast? This is a reports thread not a judge me thread. Send the guy a pm if you think there is a problem.

Thanks for the report Rich.

Or maybe he just didn't know he needed one and kept a hatchery fish without getting caught. Who cares, Nice fish man and thanks for the report.

You sound a little bitter reel fast....
fishing not so good ? :D

on another note, winters are great right now...
tough little fish that scrap like hell !

Hey Reel fast,

Just a quick note to let you know, I was trying to give other anglers direction as to EXACTLY where I got into the Coho. To be more percise, I went two tide lines off the US ( or south side ) of Constance bank ( Well within Canadian waters )
Just letting you know... but thanks for the concern as to my knowledge of international borders, but im pretty sure my GPS is acurate. But if ever someone, anyone, reading these fourms thinks they see something amiss with my posts, PLEASE post a follow up. I have a pretty thick skin, and no offence is taken.

Reel fast a question for you, is there a Halibut closure on your side of the border too? If I got a Washington state/ US , non resident licence could I fish for Halibut on your side??? just wondering.

Cheers
Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew it.............That's what I read too...

Reelfast is jealous that he cant talk to friends on the radio.....He has none :p

'Murica ...........

Back