Victoria Motor Theives Hard At Work...

Andrew P

It seems there are some active and bold thieves working hard right now in Victoria.

I was the unfortunate victim last week as I had a Yamaha 2.5hp 4stroke ripped off from my driveway. They cut through 2 very solid locks to get it. I really don't know how my dog was not awaken up by it as he sleeps in the bedroom right beside the boat and when he is awaken you hear about it. Also took misc tackle.

My buddy also had his boat stored down at Ogden Point at his business and had his 8hp Honda stolen.....and hopefully they don't get away with it. He is currently going over footage from 25 cameras that cover the area. I am pretty sure that he has the license plate and good description of guys. Here is a screen shot he took of two guys getting in and taking off in their 1970's VW beetle. They (assuming same people) came back later in the night with a truck and tried to take the 50hp off the back too but were cared off by a passing car. They had the nuts loosened. Hopefully all this footage leads back to them and hopefully some recovered gear for people.

Anyone seen a VW beetle scoping their rig?

IMG_4237.jpg

Off topic a bit-- but the latest target is new truck tailgates in Oregon and Wa. Super easy to remove and worth over a grand on Craigs List. Suggest if you have a newer pickup- to lock the tailgate and also the canopy that is worth around $2000 if its a new one. All it takes is removal of a few bolts and they are GONE!

Off topic a bit-- but the latest target is new truck tailgates in Oregon and Wa. Super easy to remove and worth over a grand on Craigs List. Suggest if you have a newer pickup- to lock the tailgate and also the canopy that is worth around $2000 if its a new one. All it takes is removal of a few bolts and they are GONE!

No bolts. undo the 2 straps lift up about 1/2 way and remove 15 seconds you are gone.

I don't believe he was talking about the canopy, but I could be mistaken.

The reverse camera in a new truck is in the flat bed rear "door?", and is therefore worth in excess of 1K.

I personally know a couple people who have had this stolen off of trucks that are only a year or so old.

There isn't too many Bugs on the streets these days...

And to add... even though the pic looks like it was shot with a first gen potato... Those interior door panels don't look OEM to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
There isn't too many Bugs on the streets these days...

True. One caught my eye the other day cruising down Esquimalt road while on my way home from work and thought to myself "you don't see those very often". I wonder if it's the same one.

Your correct VW bugs in Victoria are a really stupid thing to steal from..Especially this one first off he takes good care of it looks like and he even has the stock caps... But just like LR mentioned doesn't look like stock interior. Most of these guys belong to VW club,and there is a handful of places that have parts.I tell you one thing there very stupid for being caught on video.

There is one thing you guys didn't notice look at the back window see the large sticker on back and if look upper left you will see a smaller one.... It almost look like a flag sticker (maybe enlarge it and sharpen in Photoshop). Did you share this info with crime stoppers? And also with VW members association in Vic.... http://www.vvwc.ca/

A lot of younger guys belong to that club. Also I believe than can always ask Auto spiel he is mechanic that works on most in town.

You know that sticker in middle looks like the vans off the wall sticker... LOLOL those shoes look like vans.

I guess your footage didn't get any color?

I hate thieves good luck and getting your things back and I would be looking closely at how that happened someone obviously knew exactly when/where to take your stuff. The way they did that was totally planned out.

Last edited by a moderator:
The inside of the door caught my attention right away. To me it looks like no door panel at all....is that a door shell inner brace angling downward toward the lower front of the door? Never seen a bug door with the panel removed to know if this is what you would see.

He was talking about the canopy.......:rolleyes:

Yes-- It was the canopy. I was referring to the clamps that secure the canopy to the box. It take no time at all to take both tailgate and canopy if they are not locked. RE the VW-- too bad that the license plate cant be enhanced.. but did the cops try?

Hmmm... looks like the fenders are different colour than the body as well. I'm not sure why you assume the same people came back in the truck? Is there not a photo of the truck? What is it about this photo that connects it to the theft?

New Ford tailgate with camera is $4000 here in California. Friend had his stolen about 2 months ago.

Hmmm... looks like the fenders are different colour than the body as well. I'm not sure why you assume the same people came back in the truck? Is there not a photo of the truck? What is it about this photo that connects it to the theft?

Good questions. This is the only screen shot(with his phone) that he sent me but there is footage of them stealing the engine. I think that there is footage of the truck too. It could be just a crazy coincidence that a few hours later after heisting the one engine that someone else came back with the means to take the main engine....but no proof of a connection.

Thanks for all of the tips on my buddies behalf and there will be more footage and pics to try and stop these guys. And yes, the police are on the case...

A 15 hp honda 4 stroke was stolen from the fairway gorge paddle club in the last week. If anyone has had fishing rods, kickers or other things stolen off their boats in the harbour send me a pm. I'm pretty sure one of the thief' floating just past the tressel bridge.

Well, I should have taken that tip and ran with it....

I got a call this morning from the Vic PD. They got my 2.5hp Yami back. That said, the top is missing and it looks to be dragged through the dirt. They got it back from a guy that was messing around with it on a little dingy down town. He said that the guy was from the floating freeloaders by the trestle.

My buddy's kicker was ripped off in Esquimalt in the last few days. We all think it but man, to catch them and two minutes alone with the **** rat.....

Watch your cars too;there has been a drastic increase in motor - vehicle break-ins...especially in Saanich.

Don't leave anything of value in your car.

Back