Victoria Guides opening up this weekend to guided charters ?

Keeping deposits in these situations is wrong, but a lot of people have already spent the money and are in no position to return it. This is not smart business practice and the companies and charter operators who operated this way will likely pay the price with a poor reputation going forward.

I wouldn’t have a problem if the deposit was kept but with the option to defer the trip at a later date. We’re supposed to be helping/supporting local businesses. I personally wouldn’t want to contribute to a guides bankruptcy over a deposit if they were above board.

My charter company will remain closed until there is direction from health officials that I can take people out in a confined space. Not sure how you do that for 6-10 hours a day in a really confined space...playing and netting fish etc. People needing to use a washroom how do you do that when even gas station washrooms are not open to the public? The border won't open up until the US gets it **** together and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

why do you have to make your bathroom available? also why do you have to let customers in the cabin?

why do you have to make your bathroom available? also why do you have to let customers in the cabin?

If I tell my wife and her friends, sorry no using the head for 4 hours minimum its see ya later. As a guide, the comfort of the guests is huge and who knows what happens? I've been out with friends as a guest and since they decided to destroy the bar the night before they spend the first 30 minutes barfing and the next 4 to 8 hours sleeping it off in the cuddy.

Not the same issue on an open boat for sure tho.

If I tell my wife and her friends, sorry no using the head for 4 hours minimum its see ya later. As a guide, the comfort of the guests is huge and who knows what happens? I've been out with friends as a guest and since they decided to destroy the bar the night before they spend the first 30 minutes barfing and the next 4 to 8 hours sleeping it off in the cuddy.

Not the same issue on an open boat for sure tho.

yes this is the experience, if you don't want to deal with covid rules then book next year.

Your kidding right?

not really i think if guides what to operate during covid then there gonna have to find ways. Maybe off shore trips are a no go, maybe only 4 our charters, to allow time for cleaning ect...

went out fishing with a sturg guide last year, no bathroom available and no inclosed cabin

there are areas of this coast where you can fish 20 mins from a dock

I think the run is a big part of the guests experience. Say it takes 30 mins or so typically to run then 15 mins to set gear and sort out the guests. So on a 4 hour trip you're down to 2.5hours of actual fishing times, in the straits anyway. The guys guiding out of vancouver arent going to drop gear close to shore save for the cap fishery.

All that time in a small vessel footprint. More than a few challenges there and some risk for the guide.

I think the run is a big part of the guests experience. Say it takes 30 mins or so typically to run then 15 mins to set gear and sort out the guests. So on a 4 hour trip you're down to 2.5hours of actual fishing times, in the straits anyway. The guys guiding out of vancouver arent going to drop gear close to shore save for the cap fishery.

All that time in a small vessel footprint. More than a few challenges there and some risk for the guide.

Idk about you but I did not spend more the. 2.5 hours to get my limits last year in Vancouver August lol

Yes tho I agree the challenges for the industry are quit large

"wildmanyeah, why do you have to make your bathroom available? also why do you have to let customers in the cabin?

Well for one I know Rollie runs a Sea Sport so the guests would probably not want to sit on the floor of the deck running out.

I did not intend to get in any kind of argument about this.

Every operators knows their own risks. If they don’t think they can operate in a safe manner then don’t.

I suspect many will find ways tho to do it safely

How would any guide maintain 2 metres distance at all times especially setting gear and playing fish? Can’t see how it would work. I know several and understand the difficulty the industry is having however I don’t think there is a short term solution.

When women need to use the head they need to use the head...its that or go in to shore and if you are halibut fishing right now up past JR its over an hour back to the dock so the trip would be over because you can't run back and forth multiple times. (right now almost everyone is fishing halibut as Chinook are non retention) The Transport Canada inspector approved my cockpit's gunnel height without hand railings around its perimeter so long as people are not out there during the time we are running on plane to and from fishing. So clients are required to be in the cabin for some of the trip. This is all about my personal safety (plus my family and friends) as much as it is about the clients safety. I will open up when I feel that I'm not putting myself in any unnecessary risk. I can't count how many times I've caught colds and the like from customers who were sick, blowing their noses or coughing while out on the boat with me. I'm in no hurry there are lots of chores to get done that have been on the back burner for awhile. I'm looking forward to getting out on my own or with a buddy to play some fish and have Otter Point all to myself prior to August 1st.

Alaska

https://covid19.alaska.gov/wp-conte...016-Attachment-J-Revised-Fishing-Charters.pdf

upload_2020-5-21_12-45-57.png

https://www.adn.com/business-econom...ay-business-has-evaporated-amid-the-pandemic/

In Southeast Alaska, Yamada said he’s keeping his fishing lodge closed this year.

“Can you imagine being on a vessel where you have to wear gloves and masks and stay away from other people, and at the lodge, you can’t sit across from someone?” he said. “You’d feel like you were on a hospital ship.”

[State officials recommend masking up, but for some Alaskans, it’s not happening]

In Seward, Bob Candopoulos has been a sportfishing guide for 41 years. He now owns a lodge and a handful of fishing boats. He said lodge owners like him have the resources to make it through a tough summer, but younger guides — those who just have a boat and a “six-pack” license — are in trouble.

“These people live off the deposits in the wintertime, and now they’ve got to give all that money back, and they don’t have it,” he said.

“I had a guy call me up from Homer, and he was in tears. ‘I’ve given back all I can. I don’t have any more. I don’t have any more money to give back.’” Candopoulos said.

With tourists canceling, guides are trying to encourage Alaskans to take their place.

Thanks I'm sure the BC regulations are similar I was hoping to see the ones or the link from Transport Canada that were supposed to be released Tuesday

Back