Victoria Boat/Fishing Show Fishing Pond

RogersonCrusoe

I enjoy going to the show to talk to friends and climb/dream on boats I'll never be able to own... However... the promotional material for the Fishing Pond really has rubbed me the wrong way.
1) That's a Largemouth Bass. If they are still having the same kiddie pool filled with very sad/scared rainbows, then it's a bit of a misnomer.
2) Crankbaits are very popular bass lures, but they are never fished below a float!
3) Aren't bobbers white on top?

Sorry for the rant, but seriously. Marketing :p
VBF16_FishingPOND.jpg

Went tonight, very disappointed. Nothing like other years, had a wish list but came home with cash in pocket, guess a trip up island is in order. WTH

HM

I talked to Rollie for a few minutes and secured a lifetime's supply of JDF derby hats (thanks again!), got a couple flashers at the Gibbs Booth and that was it. Maybe spent an hour there. Donated my extra cash to the Sooke Net Pen and left.

I have a free ticket and have to drive right by it tomorrow so I'll stop in.....renew my sviac membership and chat with Chris or Rollie.....not usually much worth checking out anyway so I don't have very high hopes......now if it was a real boat show with trotac and other chandlers/fishing stores allowed to show up I might get excited.

Every other Canadian or International show I have attended has been a conglomeration of ALL retailers, vying for your $$$ and showcasing their product. Vic show is a one company show?? Not sure why?

HM

Every other Canadian or International show I have attended has been a conglomeration of ALL retailers, vying for your $$$ and showcasing their product. Vic show is a one company show?? Not sure why?

HM
It's hard to compare other Canadian cities that put on boating/sportsmans shows. Vancouver just held a show that many of the potential vendors choose over the island. Population plays a huge factor. 2,463,500 in the Greater Vancouver Area vs. 367,000 in the Greater Victoria area. Many of the companies will put their bang where the buck is.

It's hard to compare other Canadian cities that put on boating/sportsmans shows. Vancouver just held a show that many of the potential vendors choose over the island. Population plays a huge factor. 2,463,500 in the Greater Vancouver Area vs. 367,000 in the Greater Victoria area. Many of the companies will put their bang where the buck is.

I think there's more to it than that. GnB has it.

HM

I went today with 9 year old son. Spent about 2 hours. Enjoyed it.
Plenty to look at. Plenty of people to talk to.
Fish and game had a tent for shooting pellet guns.
Closer to home this year for me.
So all and all good.

As for the poster. Agreed.
Poor design.

Very busy day today and talked to a lot of people pretty much non stop. We sold about 200 raffle tickets, gave away all the remaining JDF derby hats which gives me my office back at home. We got about 600 signatures for the petition being sent to the fisheries minister and the house of commons. We also signed up a decent number of SVIAC memberships. I’m taking the day off tomoreow but Chris, Christopher and Bill will be in the booth holding down the fort. The SfI are giving out free decending devices at their booth which retail for $90. So well worth going for the $9.00 to get in.

Renewed my sviac membership......chatted with the boys......got a seaqualizer. Talked with guy at eagle nook resort booth, man that byoboat deal looks like a good time. Didn't spend a dime other than membership and raffle tickets at SVIAC. Pretty much usual for me. My son pointed out some welds on a boat at show, holy!

Understand that its IO show, just advertised as the Victoria Boat and Fishing show, look at the poster. TO sportsman show is not only Bass Pro, its only in Vic, I am sure all who know, NO why. I think if you asked all outdoor people in the area an ALL inclusive show with all retailers showcasing their products would be more welcome.

HM

Back