Victoria floating boat show

TenMile

This weekend, the Victoria floating boat show is on in the Inner Harbour downtown Victoria. Yesterday, I dropped my $10 and went to browse the new rides. I'm always trying to hunt down the perfect combination of an 80% fishing boat 20% weekender/overnight. Here are some of my highlights:

Commander 26: Really nice layout as a combination cruiser and sportfisher. Boat has a 10' beam. Very nice interior -- super use of space and storage. Outstanding galley area, with a large v-berth and very large dinette that sleeps 2 when down. Dual helm (upper and lower bridge). Powered by a single Volvo 270 diesel or twin Mercruisers. Not the best layout for fishing but it would work. Price with the Volvo Diesel was $146K - 165K depending on options. http://www.virtual-tours.com/commander-26 -- man Commander has to do something about their paint scheme and logo. I honestly thought these boats where '70s/80s vintage until I saw this one new.

Ranger 26 or 29. The Ranger 26 is very similar in size to my 2600 Sport Cabin. 8'6" beam, nice rear deck. Only powered by a 110hp diesel which tops it out at 19kts -- this boat is not designed for speed, but is a combination cruiser/fisher. IMHO not a bad design, but too many compromises -- they are trying to keep it trailerable but for the price ($160K), you give up too much. The Ranger 29 ($260K) on the other hand is beautiful!!! WOW!!! Again, not going to set any landspeed records here 20kts max but does it burning about 6GPH. Interior is outstanding -- sleeps 6, and can easily take 4 out for several weeks very comfortably. Forget fishing on this thing however -- I'd be too afraid to get a mark on it -- no fish boxes and hardly a spot to mount a rigger -- but, one of the nicer boats I've seen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS-ma0PN6PQ&feature=player_embedded

Fountain 33: Again, nice looking boat. Never heard or have seen a Fountain before in these waters (is that telling me something, hmmmm). Cuddy cabin is very large -- has a full standup head, plus a large berth that sleeps 2. Deck space is enormous -- almost too big. Cool helm console design that folds open to allow you to get at all your electronics installations in a neat central spot (great idea). Tons of built in storage. http://www.fountainpowerboats.com/fi...3_features.asp -- brand new 2008 model with a "boat show special" of $179K.

Northwest Aluminium: The guy who took my prize of the day was the owner of the 2002 26' Northwest Custom Aluminium. He was docked in his own boat and had a Yacht Dealer list it for him -- but he was leading the tours himself. He had the boat custom built to his spec, and this guy knew what he was doing. Volvo AD41P 200Hp diesel (1700hrs) that was spotless -- engine access so you could get right in and access everything. Cruises at 22kts using 4Gph of fuel (top speed 30kts). Rubber foam insulation for warmth and sound dampening interior, 2 buss heaters, dickinson oil stove, hot water shower on deck. Big 15" flatscreen monitor hooked to Nobeltec/Garmin systems. The boats are built right in Victoria, but the company doesn't have a website. He'll be sitting at the dock for a while -- asking $149K (for a 2002 with 1700hrs in my mind is too high) This is the boat: http://coastpilot.shawwebspace.ca/pages/view/at_anchor/ -- look at the pics of the engine -- yes, it really looked like that -- an 8 year old boat!!! This boat has been very well cared for and it showed!!! I've love this boat -- if he'd just knock off $100K.

TenMile
<'((((><

Yup the Northwests are very sweet boats i used to own one offten wunder why i sold it hmmm.
The price is rite they are a very expensive boat.

Go for a ride in a fountain. U wont be disappointed, offshore racing hulls. Used to be alot of fun getting to swiftsure on a nice swell at 55mph. Prop spinnin and chin grinnin:D

Pass the Pack

I'm not saying that any of these boats aren't nice but for the prices they are asking....come on...
I'm not going to pick any of them apart because I think most on here can figure it out for themselves as to why most wouldn't consider buying any of them at their asking prices.
Insane to say the least....but hey what do I know anyways...

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com

http://ca.video.yahoo.com/watch/4726988?fr=yvmtf

26" tinny for 149K not likely unless I get to pop the cherry on her.

Trev, Thought you had enough of the tin-mobiles.

Beasley used to run a fountain when Kingfisher charters was operating here in the harbour ( Victoria )I remember when he would laugh and do circles around me when I was on full plane on the way out to sooke. He had big twins on that rig and it really moved. Then the next year I was running a 27' Hydra sport with twin 250's. Ha ha, that was when he down sized to his first Wellcraft. Well suddenly I was the one doing circles around him. LOL Good times. Horse power is cool but for just under 200K after taxes it's got to be really sweet.

Drop 160K on a boat that is not worth 40 in 5 years?????? Come on... Buy a 5 year old boat for 40, drop a fuel sipping diesel in it for another 40, then save the 100K more you would have spent for new for fuel to go up and down both sides of North and South America LOL... Other then tinners, they really do loose a lot of value.

I still don't know who buys these things. Not everyone buys a new boat, but I'll bet not a lot of people buy a new one again. I'm talking 23+ footers, under that, the price spread gets a lot closer.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Agreed LC. I'm fixer-upper guy as well. There's a lot of older really good glass hulls out there you can pick up for next to nothing - Bertram's, Tolly's, UniFlite's, Carver's, Canoe Cove's, Zeta's etc - that with a little elbow grease and all-new power can put you in the water for half the doe.

I like the aluminum hulls but they're too pricey for me.

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

Opps, forgot to give Hourston honorable mention as well; another good hull!

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

Back