Victoria 2014 Reports

Ya, it wasn't stellar by any stretch of the imagination. I had one on, for about 10 seconds. That was it. I saw two caught, one looked to be about 8 pounds and the other was too far away to get a good look at the size.

Also, had the crab traps down. We caught tons but not a single keeper. As we were finishing up, a commie crab boat pulled alongside and asked how we did. We told them there were lots but no keepers. So... They said "too bad, here take these ones" and dumped four dandy crabs into my boat. Two thumbs up to those guys!!! :)

Out today again at constance from 11 till 4. Not a bite. Didn't see any other nets come out on the other boats either. Fair number of seals tho one of which took off with flasher and all. Waiting on those Sooke fish to come thru.

Brutal year so far.. did another shift yesterday on the flats
perfect conditions with only 3 boats fishing and not a tug.
I hope others are having better luck, but so far this year has been a bust...:(

Total bust RS. I was out Saturday. Worked the wall, in front of esq anglers, and the metchosin pit to Albert. I had a hit at the head, which I only got back 1/2 my chovy. Only action in 5 hrs.

Strange to read all the blanks.

Went out front this morning at the crack of dawn and the only thing slow was the two boats infront of me dinking around on the ramp at 4:30am. Come on guys whoever you were - you don't need to park on the ramp to play with your plug, straps, leg and whatever else I probably only waited 10 minutes but that's 10 minutes too long at 4:30 am!

Strange to read all the blanks.

Went out front this morning at the crack of dawn and the only thing slow was the two boats infront of me dinking around on the ramp at 4:30am. Come on guys whoever you were - you don't need to park on the ramp to play with your plug, straps, leg and whatever else I probably only waited 10 minutes but that's 10 minutes too long at 4:30 am!

When will these guys learn to prep their boat before backing down the ramp...frustrating...agreed!
We got a 20 off Clover Pt. on the tide change...slow for sure as it was our only hit...you say..."the only thing slow" etc/
So how about a fishing report...

Brutal year so far.. did another shift yesterday on the flats
perfect conditions with only 3 boats fishing and not a tug.
I hope others are having better luck, but so far this year has been a bust...:(

RS. What did the sounder look like to you.?? I was at the flats from 5-8 pm and thought I was going to have a great night. Lots of arches on the screen. The diving birds were active pulling up mouthfuls of needle fish. Not a bite.
Like the whales had just went thru. Lots of crap to deal with in the water.

JL

Well i didnt do as good as you - no 20 pounders today. But at one point I was fishing with 4 boats, I hooked up, guy behind me hooked up so of course the other two boats swooped in. BING, BING I lost my fish but 4/4 boats hooked up on one pass. Got to think there was a decent number of fish around for that to happen.

Today I just wanted a fish for my sister and was happy to come home with a 12lbr and some other hits. Almost had my limit - maybe. lost one that would have been right on the edge of 67cm trying to messure it at the boat. What a silly regulation everything I catch is hatchery anyways.

Craven come around the corner oak bay is the Dead Sea.

RS. What did the sounder look like to you.?? I was at the flats from 5-8 pm and thought I was going to have a great night. Lots of arches on the screen. The diving birds were active pulling up mouthfuls of needle fish. Not a bite.
Like the whales had just went thru. Lots of crap to deal with in the water.

JL

the whales went through Saturday around noon, a good mile or so out off the flats

Last edited by a moderator:
Put in a full solo shift on sunday 430 am to 1130 on the flats. One bite on chovy and managed to get a 18 into the boat. I don't know how you guys do it , I don't usually fish solo so I have a new respect for you guys that do!

beemer

I fished 12-6 ish. Started at the harbour. Didn't sound anything so moved to oak bay which I had high hopes for. A few arches on sonar but pretty slim. Out to Connie for the 3 pm tide change. Got sealed but I have to be honest. I think he took a ling i was dragging around. A few more arches on the sonar but no bites. Left around 5 to the flagpole where I hooked up. Thought it was a bruiser. Well i guess it was but it wasnt a spring. Hali. 29 lbs on chov in around 60-80 feet of water. Awesome to catch a hali on the salmon gear but have to be honest was really hoping for a spring (or four). It's like hitting a deer with your truck on the way elk hunting...,,,

JL

"It's like hitting a deer with your truck on the way elk hunting...,,," ;) Great analogy! Love it. I'm trying for elk today myself although the tide looks decent for deer...
T2

Quite a few boats fishing the Esquimalt side of the harbor this a.m.
we saw one nice fish landed , trolled back to the flag pole without a touch.
nice day for a boat ride ;)

IMG_20140701_154628.jpg

Launched from Cattle Point (Craven, I believe I saw you there) and fished from 9:30am to 1:00pm at Constance. Had a hit as soon as I put the second rod down; got another in that same pass - boated both. Went dead for a bit besides some little Lings then picked up another on the West side. Lots of Seals out there, but apparently it was my lucky day as they left me alone. Ebb was moving pretty good, so I just kept making passes to the West before hauling gear and starting again. All fish on the bottom; used both a Purple Haze flasher/Squirt combo and a Green Coyote/Green flasher combo. Few other boats out there when I started, then done to just a couple by 11am - maybe they were all getting fish too? Hopefully! 7 keeper crab as well from two pots.

Absolutely beautiful out there. Flat, sunny, and warm, couldn't ask for a better Canada Day!

I couldn't muster up a touch either. Fished Esquimalt from 6:30 until 10:30. Lots of boats, lots of weeds in the water. Saw a few fish landed but it was by no means stellar.

Fished Constance this morning 7 thru 1100 picked up 2 hatchery a 15 and 5 lb. Great whale show around 930 am.

Back