Victoria 2014 Reports

Does this count as over my limit?

ujevynyp.jpg

I actually was wondering if this one woulda measured under 67cm for me (this fish on top). Under. 67cms have been hard to find.

I can now join the club of anglers who have been sealed in area 19. Didn't care about the fish, but I'm thankful for Cravens trick the seal chewed the face off expertly you'd think its done this before?

What cracks me up is the effort humanitarians put into saving the water rats. My sister worked for harbour air for about one year and she says she shipped around 10 sick or injured seals in that year for vet attention. Where does that money come from? Lol

Slow today only had the 2 salmon on and possibly one other hit. I didnt see one net come out all day. I Did luck into some company for my salmon on my last pass though.

sedurezu.jpg

Yesterday the bite came on in the afternoon so there is hope for those still out here.

Edit: thought I was done catching. Found a lost crab trap on the way in floated here from Saturna Island. Owner will be picking it up.

Also I saw 2 DFO boats checking people off the waterfront I was not spoken to but they did talk to a lot if people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out with my wife and kidlet yesterday. On the pick for less than 2 hours. 2 hali in the boat. 20 and 10. Lots of dogs. Lost a hit and run fish as well. May have been decent. Think the drag wasn't hard enough to assist in hook set and couldn't get to the rod in time. Oh well. Glassy out there.

Does this count as over my limit?

ujevynyp.jpg

...the seal chewed the face off expertly you'd think its done this before?

Ha! Usually all I get is the head! Or it comes up and you get to watch it dine? Never seen my well behaved friends lose it as much as when they get sealed (ps...don't look up "getting sealed" on the inter web...way different video than expected!) one of the last times it broke the gear off, then swallowed 2 feet of my leader... Then played tug-a-war with the flasher, did not look like an enjoyable sushi moment for that seal.

Saturday morning I put in a few hours at Border Bank, 175' on the sounder. Only dog fish. Was I at the wrong depth for July? At least we still had crab for dinner.

Not me. I've decided to do my skunkings in Sooke.
Maybe I'll try again this weekend, might go camping though...

I was out Sunday morning Andrew. One hooked and long line released near the breakwater. It was about 12 pounds. Not much bait on the sounder or fish marked.
Fish hooked on anchovy.

Saw one other net out all morning.

On Saturday morning I picked up a 15 pounder between Clover Point and the flagpole, 80 feet down in 150 feet of water. Based on the few successes I'm reading about here, probably more luck than skill. I've seen few boats out off Clover last few days while walking the pooch. Better pickings elsewhere I guess.

Dad and Brother in town so some heavy fishing this week. Fished constance and hooked up right away. Gave my brother the rod and had the fish to the surface. It was small, under 67 for sure. Brother gave some slack and it shook the hook. Caught a second fish and it felt really solid. Came off the downrigger kinda weird so I gave it a good hook set and pulled the hook. Two other short bites.

Went to OB Flats. Still tons of birds and sounded a bunch of arches on the bottom. Couldn't hook up.

Couple of passes on the harbour mouth before calling it quits. Again sounded a bunch of fish and bait at the end of the flood. No hook ups.

Fished 9-5. Fished everything. Bait, plastic and metal. Had the third rod down all day as well.

Out again tomorrow.

JL

Fished flagpole to harbour mouth and did a few laps of the breakwater tonight after work. One bite. 45 ft on the rigger in about 80 or 90 ft of water near the end of the breakwater. Rod starts slamming and guest takes time getting on his rod, then has problem getting out of rod holder as line is ripping out. I yell to Palm it, he grabs the handles to try to reel it. Dusted knuckles and then Palms it briefly. He Tries to reel again and it takes off like a freight train and snaps the line. It Could have been a seal, or could have been a big spring,or both, but it was definitely a mistake letting the guest go for the rod tonight. One green onion flasher and a Sitka sandlance spoon are hanging out of a salmon. If found please PM me. Argh!

Fished flagpole to harbour mouth and did a few laps of the breakwater tonight after work. One bite. 45 ft on the rigger in about 80 or 90 ft of water near the end of the breakwater. Rod starts slamming and guest takes time getting on his rod, then has problem getting out of rod holder as line is ripping out. I yell to Palm it, he grabs the handles to try to reel it. Dusted knuckles and then Palms it briefly. He Tries to reel again and it takes off like a freight train and snaps the line. It Could have been a seal, or could have been a big spring,or both, but it was definitely a mistake letting the guest go for the rod tonight. One green onion flasher and a Sitka sandlance spoon are hanging out of a salmon. If found please PM me. Argh!

Sounds like a bit of excitement! Too bad for the result....

I gave the waterfront a go this am before work. 430-730 covered Macauley to Clover and back. Mostly focusing on the 70-90' contour with gear between 44-70'. A dozen or so boats working the breakwater. I didn't see a net out so didn't stay there too long. No bites for me.

Weather doesn't get much better though!

IMG_3555.jpg

Hit Hambley point this morning in Sidney. Went on a tip from a friend who picked up a 20# the other night. I couldn't believe the amount of baitfish, jumping everywhere. Anyways, not a sniff for me. No one but me out there .

Did Macaulay and around the breakwater from 6 until 11:30. My kid had a decent hit about 8:00 but was a tad slow getting it out of the holder and missed the set. :) The coho killer came into the boat quite bent after the hit.
Tried TKO's, anchovy in bloody nose teaser, coho killers... Marked very few fish and almost no bait.

Like Andrew said, I also didn't see anybody playing a fish.

I'm having a slow season in my regular haunt thus far.

Fished 9-3

Constance. Had one 20 to the side of the boat and lost it. One other hit that didnt stick.

Fished the shore for a bit. Fish were marking deep but not biting.

JL

Scott, not just you. Gord from Foghorn couldn't take it anymore and pulled the plug and moved to Sunny Shores for the rest of the summer. Was at Esq Anglers this aft for a beer and the guys there are all complaining of the worst summer ever for springs.

Back