VHF question......

Seafever

If I'm correct....according to the regs if you outfit your boat with a "fixed" VHF radio you can apply for a "station" license...which gives you "call sign" and numbers. Does this "station" license stay with the boat if you sell it? And........what do you do if you are using a "handheld" on a boat? You can't, I think, get a "station license" with a handheld. You have to make up your own "call sign". If you take your handheld onto a boat that already has a "station license" and use it, are you violating any laws? I was also told that just because you took the ROC(M) course doesn't mean you can use your handheld right out of the box....you have to apply for these "numbers' out of Victoria to license it.......true? In the book it says that in US waters you don't need a radio license for a vessel that is voluntarily equipped. But her in Canada they say that if you venture into US waters, you need a US approved license.....don't understand that......... I just have a handheld.......what do I need?

american fish boats use licence numbers when calling; i have not heard any canadians using them; i 50 years using phones no one ever inspected boat for licences; so i would not worry to much about them

If I'm correct....according to the regs if you outfit your boat with a "fixed" VHF radio you can apply for a "station" license...which gives you "call sign" and numbers. Does this "station" license stay with the boat if you sell it? And........what do you do if you are using a "handheld" on a boat? You can't, I think, get a "station license" with a handheld. You have to make up your own "call sign". If you take your handheld onto a boat that already has a "station license" and use it, are you violating any laws? I was also told that just because you took the ROC(M) course doesn't mean you can use your handheld right out of the box....you have to apply for these "numbers' out of Victoria to license it.......true? In the book it says that in US waters you don't need a radio license for a vessel that is voluntarily equipped. But her in Canada they say that if you venture into US waters, you need a US approved license.....don't understand that......... I just have a handheld.......what do I need?

you don,t require anything for a handheld. he do require a vhf certificate if you want to talk on it though!

beemer

You also don't need a license for a VHF mounted in a recreational boat. You do, however, need a Restricted Operator's Certificate to use it. You can also apply for an MMSI number that you can program into a Class D DSC VHF radio that will connect to a similarly equipped GPS for use in emergency signalling. Google MMSI Canada for information.

The MMSI number would not apply to handhelds, right? My radio is a Standard Horizon HX290....nothing too fancy, just a basic radio. Doesn't have built-in GPS or anything.

we don't need station licenses here in the US. the MMSI# is a voluntary thing but a very good idea. it is linked to a specific radio and if you complete the registration form, also a good idea, you will greatly assist anyone trying to provide emergency services to you. it would be nice in the US if there was a course that folks had to take before they start sounding like smokey and bandit on the VHF but i am sure it would be opposed by those who currently vote no on anything that is progressive.

The MMSI number would not apply to handhelds, right? My radio is a Standard Horizon HX290....nothing too fancy, just a basic radio. Doesn't have built-in GPS or anything.

No - your radio has to be capable of having a MMSI programmed into it.

use your fixed station mmsi on your handheld well as well. In other words you use the same number for all your vhf's with mmsi's..

Last edited by a moderator:
use your fixed station mmsi on your handheld well as well. In other words you use the same number for all your vhf's with mmsi's..

This works as long as your handheld is capable of being programmed for an MMSI. I don't believe the Standard Horizon HX290 can.

If I'm correct....according to the regs if you outfit your boat with a "fixed" VHF radio you can apply for a "station" license...which gives you "call sign" and numbers. I just have a handheld.......what do I need?

I think others have pretty much answered this for you but just to add my comments here. When you say " licence" , I think that confuses things because you need only a to hold a Restricted Operators Cerificate (Maritime) (ROC (M) ) to operate a fixed or handheld VHF. The MMSI number you can then apply for and is a voluntary application. The use of MMSI number is another topic but in its primary use provides information on you and your boat to CCG/SAR during a search for you ( after you press the DSC button and if you have your DSC radio and GPS properly connected by NMEA 0183/2000)

Several years ago Industry Canada did require that every VHF radio be licensed each year. For example I had a license call sign of CZ5739 and that cost about $35 per year and it had to be renewed. Canada eliminated that requirement many years ago.

A maritime VHF radio "base station" fixed on land used to be another story - it was actually illegal unless you applied for that use as I recall. I am not sure what the law says now about land based use for marine frequency's such as many marina's use them - anyone up on that info ?

Actually I am taking the ROCM course right now.......but some of what they say is confusing. They seem to be leaning heavily towards getting a station license and MMSI numbers for some reason......and they are also pushing DSC. Apparently there is a move afoot by CGuards and Industry Canada to change things up a bit in the future and the CGuard will no longer be monitoring CH16.....but for the forseeable future they will still do it. DSC seems to be a big future factor. The Coast Guard already monitors multiple frequencies at once right now.......but I guess it's like everything else.....nothing stays the same forever. Marinas can operate from land base on CH66 I think....but they have to apply for a license to do it......but the general public it's illegal.

Back