VHF channel 16 reminder

Da Bay Bye

I was out fishing today and for some reason, channel 16 was a mess. It appeared that someone must have had a "hot mike". When it finally cleared Coast Guard asked that everyone check their equipment in an attempt to eliminate the problem.

Channel 16 is the emergency channel. If you hear that it is full of static, please check your radio to see if it might be you or your mike switch might be stuck on.

It could save someone's life.

Thanks.

If your PTT button was stuck down you would not hear anything as the speaker cuts out while the radio is transmitting. I've often wondered why manufacturers don't install an audible alarm if the radio transmits continuously for more than say, 2 minutes or so.

If your PTT button was stuck down you would not hear anything as the speaker cuts out while the radio is transmitting. I've often wondered why manufacturers don't install an audible alarm if the radio transmits continuously for more than say, 2 minutes or so.

They do, or at least one manufacturer does.

Standard Horizon has this:

8.3. TRANSMIT TIME - OUT TIMER (TOT)
When the PTT switch on the microphone is held down, transmit time is limit- ed to 5 minutes. This limits unintentional transmissions due to a stuck PTT switch inside the microphone. About 10 seconds before automatic transmitter shutdown, a warning beep will be heard from the speaker(s). The transceiver will automatically go to receive mode, even if the PTT switch is continually held down. Before transmitting again, the PTT switch must first be released and then pressed again.

Back