VHF Radio protocol and licencing facts

One, Two, Tree, Fo-wer, Fife. Apparently it's a law to count like a Newfie :p

Also, I don't think when hailing another vessel you say your own boat name tree times, just once.

Last edited by a moderator:
your taught be consistent when hailing, if you hail another vessel 3 times you should repeat your boat name 3 times,
if you hail twice you repeat yours twice.......and so on

Officially ROC-M'd. Bring it on Industry Canada, Board my boat, I'm good now...............................heh heh heh

I think you need the course

I have taken the course. Maybe this has changed, but when I took the course the instructions were to say the name of the station you are calling three times, followed by "this is" followed by your boat name once, followed by "over".

Mayday calls you do repeat the name of your vessel 3 times.

20 years later, and I have never been checked either. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have taken the course. Maybe this has changed, but when I took the course the instructions were to say the name of the station you are calling three times, followed by "this is" followed by your boat name once, followed by "over".

20 years later, and I have never been checked either. :)
That was what I was taught by Power Squadron over 35 years ago:) But that was before DSC, GPS EPIRB, etc. Last night, course instructor said the rule is to say name of addressee one to 3 times and the same number of times for Caller name. Yep, things have changed

I have never been asked to produce my RCOM certificate...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have been on the water for more decades than I want to admit to, and never asked to produce a license. Nor really sure why I took the course, but it certainly re-affirmed that I know 95% of the protocols

I'm sure there are a few on here that have had a drivers licence for a few more years than they would like to admit. Most have not had to produce it " unless your a bit of a lead foot" very much if at all in many years. But when it does come that you are asked for it, I suspect you're going to feel better having one, instead of not. I would think the same would go here.

I took the ROC-M back in April. Well worth it. And FWIW, there is a clear difference between a licence (for radio equipment) and a certificate (for operator) and registration (for vessel). We tend to use the words interchangeably but each has a specific definition.

Oh, and here's another reminder to you folks who have a DSC-equipped radio but haven't entered the MMSI into it. Please get it done, it's an important safety feature that YOU paid for, and our beloved federal govt is kind enough to supply and operate the MMSI number registry at no cost to users. Connecting it to your GPS is easy too, just two wires. Please get on it, could save your life some day.

X2 first thing too do after mounting a DSC VHF, also i was told during my course last fall that ALL VHF's made from then on would have DSC and there would be no option to not have it ... I was pulled over on the water on Sunday by the Local RCMP RIB doing safety checks... They told me quite a few people still not taking safety on the water as seriously as they should....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back