VHF Antenna Tunning, who does it? and other questions...

TelStar26

Hey guys.

Im installing a new to me VHF setup in my boat this weekend. The complete setup from the radio to the antenna mount :)
Ive read about having the radio/antenna tunned for your specific boat/wire length/and installation to maximize the range/clarity.
Does anybody know who does this locally? (sooke)

And my other question about VHF's is, are you able to run two completely seperate radios/antenna's on your boat, having the antennas mouting as close as 5 feet apart, (one on either side of the boat) and operate either radio when there both on, and not damage them?

-The reason I ask, is because I installed my second VHF last summer (I already had one), I dont know what happended, but ive blown the output on BOTH my radios :( (hence the new setup im installing this weekend)

Theres a couple possibilitys of what might have happend:
Last summer I dont know if I soldered up the second antenna plug wrong and fried my second radio...
or possibly the second radio was bad to begin with (it was used and never tested befor install)
or possibly both! and trying to diagnoise my second radio not working I hooked up my existing working radio to the new antenna and possibly blew it?
Or the third possiblity is the second radio/antenna I installed last summer was totally fine at first, but having both radios turned on, and having one transmit so close to the other fried there outputs?
I just dont know!
But I know the complete setup (third set up now) works fine. So I cant mess this one up!

Can anybody shed some light for me?
Thanks....
Alan

I've had two mounted in the last two boats and have never had a problem. I've also seen other boats with this set-up so it must be possible.

If you are frying the output in the transmitters, I suspect you have a short in your antenna or your soldering work in the connector on the coax cable is not proper. I'd bet on the latter of the two.

You could contact Muir Communications, he can likely help you.

Thanks guys! Its good to know other people run two vhf's. And I assume you've used one or the other while there both turned on to the same channel?
Ill send muir communications an email!
Thanks!

I use them both most of the time. My better VHF, I usaully run on scan and the other VHF I have on just to talk to my buddies when there out. Just have to turn the volume down on the other radio when they sync up as the feed back is bad. Other then that no problems

i have 2 radios with one antenna, antenna coax feeds to an auto switch that automatically switches to whichever radio is keyed up
only 1 output and no feedback that way

I've never heard or read of any need to 'tune' commercially built marine VHF antennas. I believe they are all engineered and built to operate on the marine VHF frequency spectrum without any need to adjust them, if that is what is meant by tuning them. I think you can seriously damage your radio if you key the mike to transmit without having an antenna attached to the radio. Perhaps that's what happened in your case, but it sounds more like you have a solder connection problem in the antenna if they blew when attached to an antenna.

ok, thanks for the help guys. It sounds like ill be fine running two radios/antennas. Ill take a look at my solder job this weekend!
Thanks!

Do any of you guys know where a person could pick up a new to me VHF radio for my boat, and do you know if I could put one in my truck for checking bush roads for logging trucks during hunting season?

Any input would be appreciated

Back