Vancouver Area Squid Fishing????

Tinny

I’m wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge about squid fishing in the Vancouver area - English Bay, Howe Sound or maybe around Nanaimo area....

I came across this squid fishing info for Washington State waters but have not been able to find anything for our backyard

https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/squid/howto_fish.html

I’ve never caught a local salmon with squid in its stomach but hard to imagine they are not here at certain times

Would love to catch some local calamari.

Any info greatly appreciated.

I’m wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge about squid fishing in the Vancouver area - English Bay, Howe Sound or maybe around Nanaimo area....

I came across this squid fishing info for Washington State waters but have not been able to find anything for our backyard

https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/squid/howto_fish.html

I’ve never caught a local salmon with squid in its stomach but hard to imagine they are not here at certain times

Would love to catch some local calamari.

Any info greatly appreciated.
Funny that you say that. I remember staying at the public dock at salt spring and seeing a crazy squid show under the lights. I always wondered if they would ever come back to van harbor (I had heard they used to be here). Then two weeks ago I was heading out from Burrard Civic at 5am admiring the schools of bait fish jumping out of the water when I saw a couple squid chasing them around. First time I'd ever seen them here. I don't have a big sample size in times spent staring in the water at 5 am over the years but still, my cool story.

Funny that you say that. I remember staying at the public dock at salt spring and seeing a crazy squid show under the lights. I always wondered if they would ever come back to van harbor (I had heard they used to be here). Then two weeks ago I was heading out from Burrard Civic at 5am admiring the schools of bait fish jumping out of the water when I saw a couple squid chasing them around. First time I'd ever seen them here. I don't have a big sample size in times spent staring in the water at 5 am over the years but still, my cool story.
Hi all, we get the occasional squid in prawn gear. These are Opals, sometimes called market squid. They seem to be around for mating purposes in November to March. They are about 8 inches long, love shrimp and prawns. Fish em at night with bright lights and jigs. Did you kno squid have 2 brains?

remember back in the early eighties , a family of greeks more or less adopted me and they had a friend who fished them regularly , same guy used a a toss net for Eulachon/smelt through to herring ..

Squid are delicious.
I have accidentally snagged a couple on my buzzbomb. I think 2 opal squid in my whole life time. They were so delicious bbq’d.

Back