Vacuum Packing Process

pescador

So I've been processing a few fish the last few weeks. A friend told me she always puts a piece of paper towel in the bag to absorb any fluid from Salmon. Any thoughts on whether this will help or cause damage to Salmon?

So I've been processing a few fish the last few weeks. A friend told me she always puts a piece of paper towel in the bag to absorb any fluid from Salmon. Any thoughts on whether this will help or cause damage to Salmon?
I first wrap all my salmon, halibut, ling, etc. in Resinite (Costco plastic film wrap). This will give an added layer of protection to your fish or meat (especially if you don't remove pin bones first). Most importantly this will stop any liquid from getting into the seal area and compromising the seal (assuming you are using a Foodsaver or equivalent). Since I have been following this procedure I have no seal failures unless I try to do too large a whole fish filet(s), then I may have an occasional failure.
...Rob

Great points gents. Appreciate the input. I've got a Foodsaver but I'm looking at a couple of better ones. I don't want to pay $1200 for a machine. There has to be good machines out there between the Foodsavers and those high end units.

Great points gents. Appreciate the input. I've got a Foodsaver but I'm looking at a couple of better ones. I don't want to pay $1200 for a machine. There has to be good machines out there between the Foodsavers and those high end units.
I quit using the food saver bags, they are just crap. I am currently using Cabellas bags with good success. I just have a cheap Ziplock vac packer, but as long as I use a heavier bag it seems to work just fine. I have had fish in the freezer for a full year with no freezer burn. That never happened with food saver bags.

I have had no issues with food saver bags, I get them from Halfords in Edmonton. after a year the fish is just as good as when packed.

I have had no issues with food saver bags, I get them from Halfords in Edmonton. after a year the fish is just as good as when packed.
I also have no issues with my food saver and the bags that I buy from Costco. I've had for about 3 years and no issues other than you have to let it cool down in between seals. No issues with the seals on bags. Then again, I don't seal near as much as many on this forum.

Back