Using a dummy flasher

salmonkiller01

I want to try using a dummy flasher and just have a coyote spoon on my line while fishing for coho. I tried but with no success.How much leader does the flasher need and how far off the release clip should my spoon be.
Any help is much appreciated.

salmonkiller01 call the boys at Nikka in Richmond. With the amount of units they have been selling I would think you could get a tip or two from there. Good luck!

The flasher does not need more than 2 ft. or so. I sometimes run a large coyote 6-8 ft. off the release clip.
If the coho are around you might not even need the dummy flasher.
I was off the big bank last Sunday put a 3rd rod down the middle, 6 inch coyote spoon about 8 ft.of line to a 12 oz weight, 30 pulls-BINGO, COHO galore.
Good luck

I run only a dummy flasher all the time . I run 2 to 3 feet behind ball two feet up to release clip and 6 to 10 feet back depending on what I am useing . good luck .

Excellent reply's.

The flasher needs no more leader than to enable it to work/rotate. 2 or three feet is all that's needed. I use the 'normal' run of the mill flashers and not those fancy ones found at Nikka's (why fix something that isn't broken...).

I clip the flasher to the wire just above the ball then come up the wire, the lenght of the flasher AND leader, then hook on my fishing line, setting the baits about 3-5 feet behind the flasher depending on how I'm fishing that day.

If fishing is slooooow. I start changing flasher colours.

If you haven't tried it how could you know it isn't any better? Evolution of fishing is still underway as is anything else. Bicycles became a whole lot better once they put motors on them.:D

Agreed, those konezones are awsome!!!! Beats the old style flasher for sure!

quote:Originally posted by KoneZone

If you haven't tried it how could you know it isn't any better? Evolution of fishing is still underway as is anything else. Bicycles became a whole lot better once they put motors on them.:D

If I can go out and limit out, with what I have now... How can I 'justify' swapping out a bucket load of flashers? What would it cost to upgrade ~12 or 15 of my old and dinosaured (insert brand names here) just to keep on catching fish? How could it possibly get any better??

Again, I don't see my regime as being 'broke' nor do I state that they're crap... I have no idea, I don't use them, tis'all. :)

IMO, most of the latest and greatest is to keep up the catching and retention of customers. I find no problem with that - But for me, I need something that can demonstrate AND convinve me of a need</u> before I'll buy. So far, these fancy flashers haven't done it.

If someone wanted to through me six, in patterns of my choosing, I'd fish the $hit out of them and form an opinion based on my results. It's not that I'm a closed minded person, you know. ;)

Enjoy the day!

quote:Originally posted by KoneZone

Careful. It could be argued that the invention of the combustible engine was a HUGE player in the loss of Salmon stocks. It could be further argued that this invention also led the nation on with the health issues of obesity, today - Causing burdens on our HealthCare system and the restraint of tax $$$ in the current DFO’s budget…

;) ;) ;)

EDIT;

I just noted that you're from the US. You likely don't understand the latter of this post. It's all about Canadian politics - Sorry.

GEEEEEEE mr dean I think you need to go out and fish and have fun drink a few bevies and relax LOL LOL LOL.

In the winter time I use a false flasher system as well but I put my flasher back about 10 ft or so then 5 ft up put the downrigger clip then run strip,whole herring or even spoons about 15 ft back so the gear is just back from the flasher, you got to remember closer to your ball the thing is going to spin faster ok in winter but but in summer for big springs I want my gear back from my boat, just me personally!!!!but whatever works for YOU!!!!

Old osama bin fishin never saw it before and catching a winter spring on a noodle rod with a lampson fly reel is a blast hey was giggling like a school girl. LOL LOL

Good luck Wolf

quote:Originally posted by wolf

GEEEEEEE mr dean I think you need to go out and fish and have fun drink a few bevies and relax LOL LOL LOL.

Cheers!

(hic)... (up)

Back