Upset about the Chinook Closures? What to do next?

The question that needs to be asked is how many more salmon made it to the spawning grounds with the closures in place? One would have to expect a significant number in order to prove DFO’s theory. If the numbers don’t improve significantly, then maybe these closures were the wrong answer.

The Chinook non-retention is bad enough, but I have to ask why the majority of the coast reopens July 16
and the South Island must wait till August 01.
Come on DFO, at lease be consistent !
Just one more slap in the face to south island angler's.

No you guys get a season, and also some bonus of moving the forage boundary back to Sheringham ( which no one seems to mention on here) in Sooke in August. To be honest the south didn't do that bad. Now Pender island go ask those guys. They would love to have what you guys have. Up in Nanaimo our peak season is right now. Unlike what you have down there. It goes dead up here when it opens up. At least when it opens you will have good fishing in August. We obviously have mile more accurate DNA data than you do down there, so that reflects opening dates.

Pender island is the area we need to focus on next. That is the worst area now in my opinion.
Honestly the entire thing is awful, and wish we could change it. Pisses me off honestly.:mad:

Last edited:
Hope the cowichan opens for Thoes guys

It’s a shame there is so many people on here that want to keep it closed

Thank you Spring Velocity, for your support regarding Pender Bluffs. I am resigned to the fact that this year is a write off for our area. The little crumbs they threw us in Option A will do virtually nothing to help the locals here. If we can keep the pressure up and turf Justin & Co. maybe some sanity can be found for 2020. I have the ability to relocate and will likely join the gong show off the Fraser in August-Sept., but unfortunately most of the locals here are simply SOL.

Actually our peak season in area 19 off Oak bay is right now as well.
Mid teen hatchery fish are thick right now and we can't take them.
August will bring a short limited fishery off the harbor mouth and then it's done.

You have trailer Scott! Go to Sooke this year for a change!

Thank you Spring Velocity, for your support regarding Pender Bluffs. I am resigned to the fact that this year is a write off for our area. The little crumbs they threw us in Option A will do virtually nothing to help the locals here. If we can keep the pressure up and turf Justin & Co. maybe some sanity can be found for 2020. I have the ability to relocate and will likely join the gong show off the Fraser in August-Sept., but unfortunately most of the locals here are simply SOL.

Yeah I find it interesting how locked down Pender is. There seems to be connection with a few that live there.

Is there going to be another protest any time soon? The next one should happen before kids are out of school and families off to their summer holidays. We should keep the pressure one.

Is there going to be another protest any time soon? The next one should happen before kids are out of school and families off to their summer holidays. We should keep the pressure one.
I submitted 4 Letters to the Editor to local newspapers, including the Sun, in response to Wilkinson's op-ed in the Vancouver Sun today.

We still have the protest signs from the one we organised at Wilkinson's office earlier this month. Waiting to see what comes out of some meetings taking place later this week.

Yeah I find it interesting how locked down Pender is. There seems to be connection with a few that live there.
Perhaps also a lack of people guiding out of there, or anyone else for that matter, earning a living off of public fishing?

Perhaps also a lack of people guiding out of there, or anyone else for that matter, earning a living off of public fishing?

Really the hippies that live there that want the whole place turned into a marine sanctuary have nothing to do with it?? come on ziggy, look at the residence there trying to stop a herring fishery, how the area votes ect...

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/bc/gulf

Really the hippies that live there that want the whole place turned into a marine sanctuary have nothing to do with it?? come on ziggy, look at the residence there trying to stop a herring fishery, how the area votes ect...

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/bc/gulf
I missed the part where I said it had nothing to do with it? In fact if you read my post again, I said the opposite, you know ,the part that said “ no guides or anyone else earning their living from fishing”! Sorry bud but I don’t follow your train of thought.

if Sporties want to fish Chinook again or earlier...
They need to copy a page from what the commercial fleet did.
I tend to disagree with catch and release as so many guys still use small spoons and small hooks and hootchies.
these tend to hook deeper in mouth and gill...There is not much blood in a fish , just about any bleeding and the fish is done after release.
The commercial fleet successfully convinced DFO to allow a PLUG fishery...big plugs and big hooks...when hooked they almost always 99% hook on jaw and do not bleed.
Someone lobbying for a chinook opening should suggest this.
plus , i have about 1000 nice plugs for sale :)

if Sporties want to fish Chinook again or earlier...
They need to copy a page from what the commercial fleet did.
I tend to disagree with catch and release as so many guys still use small spoons and small hooks and hootchies.
these tend to hook deeper in mouth and gill...There is not much blood in a fish , just about any bleeding and the fish is done after release.
The commercial fleet successfully convinced DFO to allow a PLUG fishery...big plugs and big hooks...when hooked they almost always 99% hook on jaw and do not bleed.
Someone lobbying for a chinook opening should suggest this.
plus , i have about 1000 nice plugs for sale :)

No. I don't disagree myself with catch and release, and to be honest we already know what is happening out there with that idea. The impact is small.

It is already accounted for in the fish mortality regardless of whether we fish or not. We are not going to head down the road to start restricting gear. The only way to move forward is too a marked select fishery. That is what we have to do.

Last edited:
Back