Upgrading to dual batteries and relocate

Danerino

Good morning.

I bought an older 17 DE a year ago, and the battery that came with it has finally kicked the bucket. I’ve decided to get a 24 starting and a 27 deep cycle. A friend of mine suggested it’s overkill but I’ve known many others running two batteries in a small boat and just wondering what some of you think about it.
Also, it takes a fair bit of juice to get this old girl up on plane so I would like to put both of these either in the small cuddy in the bow or under one of the sleepers. Has any here done this, did you worry about ventilation etc?

thanks.

They might not address your questions about the 24 and 27 volt batteries, but there are a couple of good threads about moving batteries

They might not address your questions about the 24 and 27 volt batteries, but there are a couple of good threads about moving batteries
Thank you for these. I am also hoping anyone with similar small boat experience can lend me some wisdom.

I talked to a local Interstate dealer about my previous boat, They said it was better to have 2 identical batteries from a charging standpoint.
So I got 2 Group 27 batteries with a Blue Sea ACR add a battery system. That way your start battery is isolated from your house battery and you can totally drain your house without affecting your start. I had a Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust which added about 6 amps while fishing and never had a low battery while running downriggers and electronics. I think with the Blue Sea system you could run a group 24 start and Group 27 house battery.
If your in the lower mainland check out Polar Batteries for some expert advice and all the bits and pieces you will need

I talked to a local Interstate dealer about my previous boat, They said it was better to have 2 identical batteries from a charging standpoint.
So I got 2 Group 27 batteries with a Blue Sea ACR add a battery system. That way your start battery is isolated from your house battery and you can totally drain your house without affecting your start. I had a Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust which added about 6 amps while fishing and never had a low battery while running downriggers and electronics. I think with the Blue Sea system you could run a group 24 start and Group 27 house battery.
If your in the lower mainland check out Polar Batteries for some expert advice and all the bits and pieces you will need
I’m in Tofino. I have already bought a 24 cranking and a 27hd deep cycle, both interstate, along with the blue sea mini add a battery plus kit that comes with a 10A charger you can plug in dockside.
Thanks for sharing this. You have your batteries at the stern?

I may be wrong but flooded lead acid batteries aren't supposed to be in sleeping quarters given they gas off, but again....I'm no expert.

Back