Ukee Halibut Help

Peterman

Ive got zero confidence when it comes to finding quality Halibut around or off of Ukee.... I know its a tough one for people to share their favorite areas... but i'd certainly appreciate any help in this area...
Ive put some time in.. trying areas that looked good to me on the chart, 220ft contours etc... but there's enless possibilities, im always second guessing my choices..
Running around the South Bank like i know what Im doing..(not) some people even start to follow me...lol

How's the PacMan? for Hali

Or the Wreck, which is just south of the Turtle's Head if im not mistaken?

Or LongBeach bank? i know they are their but its huge...lol...

Anyways its a tough one for me...
Any help is thanked in advance...

Ive got zero confidence .....................Ive put some time in..... trying areas that looked good to me on the chart............some people even start to follow me

Time and trial n' error will build the confidence:cool:.

You need to put more time in lol :D.

That's all I do is pick area's that look good and try them:).

Their just following you to check out your kick butt boat :p.

That's what I tell the wife.. just give me more time...lol

Its a good thing she rather have halibut in the house than me..;) apparently halibut is less work

Going to try around the 15th-19th again

We could hook up on the 15th and wander aimlessly around together in search of the elusive halibut lol:). That's why they call it fishing. If you don't go there and try it you won't catch anything. They move around alot. Certain spots at certain times of the year do produce for sure. It's always fun to try new spots however and that is what I'm all about. I manage a few a year to keep me and my family happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds aimless enough...

Plan is to tow up on Sat night and stay at a friends house.. head out Sunday morn... and I might just stay up for the full 5 days..

Sounds aimless enough...

Plan is to tow up on Sat night and stay at a friends house.. head out Sunday morn... and I might just stay up for the full 5 days..

Call me on Saturday night and I can meet you out front of the harbor in the morning.

Cheers,
John

No problem... ill send you my cell again...

and the way these GPS marks and info is coming in Im sure we will kill it...lol...

No problem... ill send you my cell again...

and the way these GPS marks and info is coming in Im sure we will kill it...lol...

We might find the honey hole of all honey holes. That is what it is all about. Going out and putting in the time and finding those spots and fish and remembering them. Good times man:). That is why I love offshore banks fishing. You never know what you will get and you never know when. It can be dismal or it can be lights out. That is what keep us coming back for more.

Last edited by a moderator:
You just have to experiment as Sculpin says. You'll wonder on to a good spot eventually. I'm pretty sure the Wreck is a lot more west (by a fair amount) than south of Turtle Head.

try the bumps outside south bank

It's been a few years since I fished out of Ukie, but we used to get our Hali trolling bottom at the 'Shallows' about 215 - 220' (big bank) It was usually pretty quick and then back to salmon... I'll look up the waypoints next time I'm in the boat

It's been a few years since I fished out of Ukie, but we used to get our Hali trolling bottom at the 'Shallows' about 215 - 220' (big bank) It was usually pretty quick and then back to salmon... I'll look up the waypoints next time I'm in the boat

chicken festival...

Try heading out to South Bank (Lighthouse Bank) trolling a needle fish or glow type hootchie behind a flasher bouncing your gear along the bottom. Also try the flats off Long Beach and Florencia Bay this time of year.

Just got done vacuum packing after 4 days in Ukee. Many people at island west were fileting chickens caught trolling all over Amphitrite Bank. The boat tied next to me got one trolling Outside south(rabbit), then drifted there for a forty pounder. I got one trolling a turd on the bank on the far side over toward SW corner. I got another(small released) on a needlefish hootch near the anvil. And I got a decent one a few miles ESE of the anvil. The coded wire tag in the coho head must send out special signals, as it only took 10 minutes. Just me and circling Humpback without another boat in sight. I don't know any bona fide big halibut spots, but there are chickens everywhere.

Only kept 2 springs(12+20), but released a pile of small chinooks. Kept 4 clipped cohos and released at least 50 clipped and hatch caught from the surface to the bottom. Coho is a 4 letter word right now.

We might find the honey hole of all honey holes. That is what it is all about. Going out and putting in the time and finding those spots and fish and remembering them. Good times man:). That is why I love offshore banks fishing. You never know what you will get and you never know when. It can be dismal or it can be lights out. That is what keep us coming back for more.

I thought the peanut was the honey hole of honey holes? lol

Back