UHF general chatter.

poet1971

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering if there is a general chatter channel on the UHF. I know 16 is for help and Coast Guard monitors. Any other channels to listen in on?

Poet1971

the following link is to the list of VHF channels, yes channel 16 is coastguard and you cannot talk on it unless an emergency, you can talk on channels that have non specific commercial purposes. most chatter you will here IE: guide boats and other fishermen will be on channels like 88a , 68,69,and a handful of others. most vhf are pre programed and you cannot tune frequency without an Amateur radio license EI: Ham radio ticket so UHV or ultra high frequency would not be useful to you. here is the list of VHF channels pre programed into your VHF. hope this is helpful.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/marinefreqtable.html

the following link is to the list of VHF channels, yes channel 16 is coastguard and you cannot talk on it unless an emergency, you can talk on channels that have non specific commercial purposes. most chatter you will here IE: guide boats and other fishermen will be on channels like 88a , 68,69,and a handful of others. most vhf are pre programed and you cannot tune frequency without an Amateur radio license EI: Ham radio ticket so UHV or ultra high frequency would not be useful to you. here is the list of VHF channels pre programed into your VHF. hope this is helpful.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/marinefreqtable.html

Just to clarify - you can talk on Channel 16 in non-emergency situations. In addition to emergency situations, Channel 16 is used by mariners to make initial contact with each other. Once contact is made you would move to a different "working" channel

guess what i meant to say is channel 16 is used primarily for Distress, Safety and Calling, but not chatter like "hey joe hows the fishing" or you will be notified by coastguard to clear the channel or switch to a working channel.

if your radio supports 'scanning' you can include a number of channels on your scan list and monitor all of them. when someone starts talking, the scanning stops so you can listen or respond. obviously include all of the working channels as well as 16. I also have 5 on my list along with several others which I have found of interest. and remember, please, this is not a CB so use appropriate protocall in placing and contining conversations.

Back