Typical trim tab zinc wear?

N2013

Been moored for approximately 60 days. Pulled at 1month, zincs all scrubbed. Is this normal wear? Still good enough for the rest of the season? New vs old.

0B8DC192-6055-47D6-ABE5-6372FCD3B729.jpeg

Attachments

• 90A85599-5F4E-4DDE-93EA-C6034C3211B8.jpeg
    90A85599-5F4E-4DDE-93EA-C6034C3211B8.jpeg
    271 KB · Views: 53
Still lots of metal left on those, but like Ace said something is hot somewhere those things are melting to fast IMO

Concur, should be fine for the season but that's pretty hot, all right.

The other thing is that mass is a better indicator than size. If it's below 50% the weight of the new one, it's moving faster than you might guess just from eyeballing it. I don't know exactly when you consider the season over, but I'd be nervous about trying to get another sixty days on that if it's feeling light.

I only have my slip for another 3 weeks and right now it’s on the trailer. It’s down at Cheanuh Marine in East Sooke so I’m sure there are others having a similar issue. Just want to make sure I’m protected. Anything else I can do? I’ll check all my internal zincs at the end of the season.

Don’t rule out an internal problem either. Could have a bad connection or bad wire on the boat someplace.

Pulled my boat out of a Marina for this same reason. Tested all of my wiring/connections and found no issues.
Marina didn't care after I showed them the rapid breakdown of my zincs. Marina I was at had quite a few people living on their boats through Summer time and lot's of commercial boats using lot's of power etc ever day. And I wasn't about to do the Marina's job by trying to find their problem for them. Stray current was much more than I was expecting. Not to mention the incredible amount of barnacle growth in such a short period of time too. I've got pics of my zincs after only a month somewhere I'll try to find them but they were way worse than yours are. And at least yours shows uniform mass loss. Mine were all very pitted and wearing away with random holes almost through the zincs. Wafer thin in some spots and were brand new when I put the boat in.
Had to ruin my Sharkhide Aluminum protective coating getting the barnacles off too. I've moored at other marina's before and never seen such rapid corrosion and rapid barnacle growth as at the last one.

Been moored for approximately 60 days. Pulled at 1month, zincs all scrubbed. Is this normal wear?

yeah that’s normal don’t worry. Lots of marinas eat zincs that fast. As long as you stay on top of it you’re fine.

What’s the size of rudder zincs do you fellas use on your trim tabs? R2’s or R3’s? The ones I’ve been using are about twice as much and hard to find so I’m going to switch. Where are they best mounted?

Well first off id say your down to about 60 % so for a 1/2 year nothing to worry about, as I redo zincs every year and will say its doing a great job as I see it. now question is do you have zincs on trim tabs and are they bonded etc .

Well first off id say your down to about 60 % so for a 1/2 year nothing to worry about, as I redo zincs every year and will say its doing a great job as I see it. now question is do you have zincs on trim tabs and are they bonded etc .
I do them annually as well. I Find my trim tabs anodes wear out the most aside from the transom handle anode. And my trim tabs are grounded I believe (installed by Jenkins). I’m keen to switch to the disc shaped zincs that fit on the top & bottom of my trim tab instead of the rear. So just asking for what size to use & location is best to install those.

I’m keen to switch to the disc shaped zincs that fit on the top & bottom of my trim tab instead of the rear. So just asking for what size to use & location is best to install those.
Use the size that it can fit and just put on top thats all you need if you put on bottom it wears off with water traveling under it.I use the bolt and tighten with the nut . then have a loop on my grounding wire and 2 flat washers and another nut tighten it all down. your good to go

I changed mine to R3 from R2 and have 2 per trim tab. My tabs are pretty big.
I put the zinc on top and bottom and bolt through. The bottom does not wear any faster
They last 12 months easy

Back