Type of batteries for an inboard with kicker

I am looking to replace the batteries in a new to me boat I bought last year. Current setup is two starter batteries with 650 MCA linked to a switch for controlling 1, 2 or all batteries. I don't know much about electrical systems on a boat but it appears the main inboard runs off the left battery and then all the accessories like stereo, downriggers, kicker... run off the right battery. The guy at the shop reco'd I get two Interstate starter batteries with 1000 MCA since 650 is apparently too small for my engine.

Any thoughts? Should I get two starter batteries or one starter for the main engine and a deep cycle for the accessories? If I go the deep cycle path, how do I setup the battery?

Last edited:
the cats meow set up is to ditch the 1 2 both off switch. buy a blue seas add a battery kit. Interstate batterys are very good

i run a group 31 starting battery for the I/o and the kicker, then everything else is off a group 31 deep cycle. (stereo, lights, downriggers, prawn puller etc. etc.)

not sure of the CCA of a group 31 but its one of the largest automotive sized batteries available (discounting HD trucks and equipment/ specialty batteries)

Mixing battery types is a good way to fry deep cycles as starting battery voltage comes up much faster. It is kind of an effective eff you, keep up, to the deep cycle.

Mixing battery types is a good way to fry deep cycles as starting battery voltage comes up much faster. It is kind of an effective eff you, keep up, to the deep cycle.
That depends on how you have them connected. Using the Blue Seas add a battery ACR, for example, isolates the batteries so that they charge/discharge independently.

best place to buy marine batteries is costco cheaper and they have lots.

Gotta agree with Wolf - I've been using 2 Kirkland deepcycles for years. I change them out every 4/5 yrs. my boat is 17 years old. They have never failed me. There seems to be a few different opinions on this site on how to use batteries. I have always turned the Perko battery switch off when not in use, and switched to All when running the boat and it seems to work for me.
Adios Amigos
Stosh

The nice thing about Costco batteries is the 100 month pro-rated warrantee. I just returned two 5 year old batteries and got $128 back.......that covered 50% of the new ones

The Costco locations on the mainland phased out the deep cycles. I had them check store inventory and there was only a few on the island. This really sucks!

Costco at Production Way in Burnaby has both their Kirkland 12 volt and 6 volt deep cycle batteries in stock last week when I was there. These are seasonal items and I know from past years, Costco only carries the deep cycles from about end of March until about August or so. The Group 27 12 volt batteries were $119.00 and and 6 volts were $139.00 each if I recall right.

That depends on how you have them connected. Using the Blue Seas add a battery ACR, for example, isolates the batteries so that they charge/discharge independently.

Sort of, the ACR is just a relay. Once it detects 2 minutes of >13.0V it directly connects the batteries. That 2 minutes will allow the starting battery to recover from starting and bam 14 ish volts is going to battery 2. The ACR is a great piece of kit but it is really just a smartish, fail safe switch in a set of jumper cables (that is why they need battery cable sized cables instead of wires that would handle simple charging). Starting batteries take playing catch-up better than deep cycles as they recover faster, top out at the same voltage and shouldn't be as deep into discharge.
Sailboats running deep cycle battery house banks will usually have a charging regulator between the alternator and the deep cycles to protect them and allow for both controlled and higher finishing voltage.

As gunner love indicates. deep cycle batteries pose challenges in that they SHOULD NOT be charged the same as a starting battery. If the boat is a day use boat, you could run all the accessory's off the deep cycle, not connect it to the engine charging system, & then charge the deep cycle with a proper charger when you get back to shore. Running in this mode, you would not want to discharge the deep cycle more than 50%; doing so will reduce battery life. You will need to calculate how large a deep cycle battery you need:

Say the down riggers consume 20 Amps while raising the ball, it takes 2 minutes to raise the ball, and between two down riggers you raise the ball 50 times per day. 100 minutes equals 1.66 hours X 20 Amps = 33 amp hours. At a 50% discharge, you need a deep cycle battery that has 66 amp hours or greater capacity.

If you choose to go this or a similar route, be wary of where you connect mission-critical equipment such as a bilge pump to.

Switches are fine if you are like Stosh & ALWAYS put the switch in the proper position.

Costco at Production Way in Burnaby has both their Kirkland 12 volt and 6 volt deep cycle batteries in stock last week when I was there. These are seasonal items and I know from past years, Costco only carries the deep cycles from about end of March until about August or so. The Group 27 12 volt batteries were $119.00 and and 6 volts were $139.00 each if I recall right.

I was not aware of that. Thanks. Funny that none of the Costco employees were aware of that either lol

BIG batteries which hold, accept and produce energy when you need them. I know of a couple of guys who are running big boats and all batteries are Deep Cycles. Run for years on the kicker, mains, etc, no issues.

If you're running offshore, having a battery to fall back on is imperative on a single engine craft.

Not only is it important to keep your batteries in good shape it is also important to keep your wiring, belts and alternator in good shape too.

A lot of boats out there are electrical nightmares. You should be able to store your boat, battery switch off, moored or not, even with a bilge pump on a float switch, for months without significant discharge on properly isolated batteries and a properly wired boat. Case in point, a friend was out of the country for a year, went back to his dry stacked boat, dropped it in the water, switched the port battery to "on", switched the starboard battery to "on" and promptly fired up each engine, put his rods together on then went fishing and limited out in the first hour. The boat was untouched except for a cover up from a year ago.

That's a properly wired, isolated and functioning electrical system.

Last edited:
So it is sounded like the concenus is two starter batteries. Given my boat is pretty small, 22' with a small cuddy, I really won't be pulling that much from the accessories batteries. I also only use it about a dozen times a year since its at our cabin - long weekend only.

Back