Two motors at the same?

N2013

Dumb question but can I run my main & kicker at the same time? I only have one battery (27 group), no ACR. Kicker charges the battery as well.

Dumb question but can I run my main & kicker at the same time? I only have one battery (27 group), no ACR. Kicker charges the battery as well.

Not a dumb question. I did that on and off all summer during a long boat camping expedition. Reason: between my electric windlass being used 3 to 4 times a day to get the dog to the beach, my HP downrigger and the thirsty refrigerator, power consumption management was an ongoing issue. Any voltage read-out approaching 11 Volts on my house battery would kill my chartplotters, both of which are really voltage sensitive.

I treated my Suzuki kicker as a genset: many times I‘d fire it up in tandem with the two main outboards just to have one more alternator helping to juice up the house battery

In heavy wind I'll fire up one of my mains and throw it into gear just for the extra boost in speed. Still use the kicker for steering

What RC said ^^
I have AP on the kicker and in heavy currents/wind, I just fire up the main and get that extra push- still use the AP for steering. Same deal when I'm caught in the freighters wake and need to get my bow out of the sh*t in a pinch. I also find use in the extra alternator after a full day of trolling with 2 HP riggers and using the fish finder, VHF and a tablet.

It's DC current coming off those rectifiers/regulators. DC can be parelleed to an endless volume. Batteries only take what they take. Hope that helps

Back