Tuna charter

Hey Dennis

Sorry i missed out on this thread but i was out of town. The boat we went on was in that other thread, we fished out of Ilwaco....will try Westport next time, probably on the Rampage or Gold Coast as it's a lot shorter drive from here. Looking forward to FA's report.......hoping the weather cooperates for them. It's getting late in the season.

I'm thinking of a full boat group of 10 for next year in early September............a Canuck invasion of 8 plus Ted and Jeremy from the BD site. I'm pretty sure i could talk my buddies Sculpin and Firelight into it, ha ha!! ;)
Im would be in on that. Let me know if you have any spots open.

Well the fish are definitely still around and fairly close. We did a morning fish for tuna yesterday. Left the marina a little before 7, had lines in the water a little after 8:30. Picked up 7 on the troll prior to 11:30. We were only about 32 miles out. We were in 63F water only about 15 miles out. The charters went a little farther than us (maybe 40 miles) but most were back on the docks early with plenty of tuna. Tues looks like it will be fishable but "sporty" Wed/Thurs is looking nicer. Owen, I'm sure you'll catch plenty of fish. Have a great time!

Well I am sitting here in line waitng to go on the Coho Ferry to Port Angeles. Man am I stoked. This is going to be an awesome 40th birthday.Trip was almost canceled do to 5 people already booked backing out yesterday morning . They agreed to take the 3 of us out on a one day trip at the very least. We may have to locate someone to take us out Wednesday seperatly. I am sure it will all work out. I can't wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I am sitting here in line waitng to go on the Coho Ferry to Port Angeles. Man am I stoked. This is going to be an awesome 40th birthday.Trip was almost canceled do to 5 people already booked backing out yesterday morning . They agreed to take the 3 of us out on a one day trip at the very least. We may have to locate someone to take us out Wednesday seperatly. I am sure it will all work out. I can't wait.

So, where's the report? How well did you guys do?

To beat up right now to report or post photos. Great opperation for what it is. I'll be booking again with them. Everyone got 12 fish between 15-25 pounds each. Sitting on the ferry now looking at Victoria. Can't wait to be home.

To beat up right now to report or post photos. Great opperation for what it is. I'll be booking again with them. Everyone got 12 fish between 15-25 pounds each. Sitting on the ferry now looking at Victoria. Can't wait to be home.
Sounds like a good trip. I assume you fished yesterday - the water looks a little softer today. Looking forward to the pictures and report.

Headed to Victoria Sunday and crashed at Newfie Boys....Thanks Again

First thing Monday I head off to hop on the Coho Ferry. It was so fun getting checked over three times before the boat even arrived. Got to love going thru customs.

Sailed to Port Angeles just to get searched again by dog and two officers.

The new marijuana laws have really affected these people. Check out this highway sign leaving Port Angeles

Off to Westport to find the charter

What an awesome machine, owed and operated by one of the best captains in the fleet. He can find fish when others cant. Years of experience

Isn't no BC salmon chart. If cant take being told what to do and or what your doing wrong these are not the charters for you. Things are not sugar coated. I loved it. Wish I could talk this way to some of the guys I take out.... Oh ya I do :)

Leaving Westport was crazy, we left hours late as the seas wouldn't left us out and over the bar. And when we finally did get out around midnight I was shocked we didn't turn around. Complete weightlessness. I was lifted right out of my bed. It really wasn't a good feeling.

Morning came early and the bite was on

That was the Fish **** with one of the first fish of the day.

We continued to hammer another 59 fish giving the each of the 5 of us 12 fish to take home

Cant wait to go again next year :)

Many more photos and a video to come.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting. Must do list for next year.

Awesome Owen. Good for you on toughing it out, making that trip by your self.

Nice looking fish in the tote, I take it those are the ones you caught. .......BB

Just back from Westport. Thanks to all that recommended the Allriver folks, a first class operation. 6 guys on the boat caught 39 tuna. We left at about 0700 and were back at 1600, 37 nautical miles out, trolled for about 20 mins. and when we made contact started fishing with live anchovies. We had 5 on at one point, everyone running around sliding in the blood and tripping on fish...great fun. Well worth the 2 day drive from Alberta.tuna fishing 187.jpg

Owen, sincere thanks for the gift of tuna you left with us yesterday on your return from the Excited States. Grilled it on the BBQ last night and my wife said she's finally
starting to understand why I devote so much time to our site! It was the first time for us grilling tuna, and it was amazing! Cheers!

Great photo Papacorn. Congrats on a great trip. Thanks for the report.

What was the ride like on the 29' Defiance? Run in and out? Did it roll much at rest?

Thanks,
Sculpin

I don't have a lot of experience on big water so I'm not the best person to judge but the Defiance was pretty impressive. It was very rough going out, we were going into swells about 6' with some chop on top. The ride was rough, a lot of water came over the top but I felt safe and the skipper knew how to handle the boat. It didn't roll too bad when we were drifting.

Papacorn, what day did you fish. We were out there Tuesday it was way more then 6'. You must have fished Wednesday as she flattened out.

Was talking to Gary at Forward auto about his trip and a friend of his trip to Westport this year. Gary said they were on a 6 hour drift with a school of Tuna, there was one boat 2 miles away on one side and a other 7 miles away on the other, all were pulling fish from the same school! His buddy had a 11 hour drift on a school and they pulled 179 Tuna during that time...10 guys fishing each boat. He said they get 3 nights on the boat and he figures under a $1,000 per person for his trip including all costs including the ferry down. I forget who he goes with but he did mention he has been on a few of the boats and likes the one he is on now as they have great gear, they net the fish not gaff and really care about giving you premium fish to take home by how they look after it and prep it to take home.

I forget who he goes with but he did mention he has been on a few of the boats and likes the one he is on now as they have great gear, they net the fish not gaff and really care about giving you premium fish to take home by how they look after it and prep it to take home.
It would be great if you could give him a call and get the name-TIA

Just back from Westport. Thanks to all that recommended the Allriver folks, a first class operation. 6 guys on the boat caught 39 tuna. We left at about 0700 and were back at 1600, 37 nautical miles out, trolled for about 20 mins. and when we made contact started fishing with live anchovies. We had 5 on at one point, everyone running around sliding in the blood and tripping on fish...great fun. Well worth the 2 day drive from Alberta.View attachment 14395

Mark at Allrivers is the best.
We have fished with him in the past and fish beside him now in my buddies boat.
Always a top producer. And they don't scream at you when you do something wrong!
1 1/2 to 2 hours to the grounds and back loaded up by mid afternoon.
My buddy is fishing today as I write this.
I should be part of the crew today but couldn't make it.

Back