Tuna charter

Papacorn

I'd like to book a tuna trip off WCVI this fall...any suggestions? Would I be better off going to Washington or Oregon? Thanks for any input.

Try these guys out of West Port Washington.
They are at the top of the Tuna game.
Shorter run.
Better intel.
Live bait.
allriversguideservice.com

Try these guys out of West Port Washington.
They are at the top of the Tuna game.
Shorter run.
Better intel.
Live bait.
allriversguideservice.com

All rivers posted on facebook that they had some October dates open but they generally book pretty far in advance. I'd contact them straight away if you want to go. I talked a couple of their guys this past weekend and they are mostly booked through Nov.

I just did a charter out of Oregon with Oregontunacharters.com. Maybe it was on 'off' day for them when I went but I wouldn't recommend them. The tuna weren't cooperating that day and I can't blame the charter for that but there were other things that didn't impress me like the small amount of sluggish live bait (he'd been fishing the day before with his buddies, we got the leftovers), not being informed that the head was broken (one of my group was female amongst strangers, the charter knew that before hand but there was not mention till we got on the boat...and it is also quite possible that 'broken' was a lie and he just didn't want the head used), and I noticed things like straightened hooks on the gear which made me suspect that it hadn't been looked over before hand and that some of the tuna that broke off or were lost that day were because of this. Losing fish happens, I get it, but in the end the 6 of us clients ended up with 7 fish total. That is expensive tuna and every fish counts. At least he had a nice boat.

I don't have another tuna charter to compare to my experience with this company, but the salmon charters I've done (ie. Westedgefishing) has been much more professional.

I am working on booking a tuna trip for Sept.29th out of Washington. Will know more tonight or tomorrow if your interested in joining a few other forum members on this trip let me know.

Thanks for all the input guys. I booked this afternoon with the AllRivers folks. Many places pretty well booked up to the end of the season so I figured I had to jump on it. This trip is on my "bucket list" so I had to get it done.

The drift fishing with live bait that is done off the Wash coast is the way to go for more fun out of the fish. I know someone who books a trip with a bunch of guys every year. Quite cheap, lots of fish and fun on the rods. Not knocking the WCVI fast troll guys...you do what you have to do to catch fish. The guys down south have many more years doing the offshore Tuna thing and have an established system, properly licensed boats/skippers to go offshore and clientele in place.

I just got back from a trip with Ocean Sportfishing Charters out of westport. 11 of us on boat with 2 captains, 2 crew . Our 2 day charter (sleep on boat 2 nights) turned into a 1 day as we maxed out the space on the boat during a 10 hour bait stop. 192 tuna on boat. They did have a cancellation for a full 11 spot trip for next week. Can book a large group or just a spot or two on a 11 man trip. Well worth it.

The drift fishing with live bait that is done off the Wash coast is the way to go for more fun out of the fish. I know someone who books a trip with a bunch of guys every year. Quite cheap, lots of fish and fun on the rods. Not knocking the WCVI fast troll guys...you do what you have to do to catch fish. The guys down south have many more years doing the offshore Tuna thing and have an established system, properly licensed boats/skippers to go offshore and clientele in place.

They also have access to live anchovies.......we do not or we would be doing the same. It takes a lot more skill to get them trolling in my opinion

Agree Shawn, but this was my perspective coming from the guy who would be on the rod and fighting the fish. Way more fun live bait.

Here is what I am looking at. Can take my truck and I will cover the cost of ferry for the truck.

If interested please contact me

Hi Owen, Tuna "Rampage" is where its at we have room
from Monday Sept 29th thru Friday Oct 3rd we can do a 1 1/2 to a 2 day Tuna Charter leaving any one of those evenings around 7:30either returning the next day after dark or the 2nd day by 3pm price ranges from $475 to $540 per angler plus tax we need at least 6 for the boat to operate. Our Anglers are get at least 17 to 20 by each the evening or earlier of the first full day and the boat is back at the docks around 10 pm or bring in even more and fish the next morning our season leader brought in 42 and 36 on 2 separate trips only fishing the 1st full day and back after dark. We provide a meal package 2 breakfast and 1 dinner for $25.00 you would bring drinks and lunch/ snacks items. We take 10 anglers out on our Tuna trips all the gear will be provided, if you choose you may bring your own. You can get your fish fillet on the boat for $4.00 per tuna (that gets down on your way back in). Let me know if your interested, Randy is the Captain and he's known for one of the best when it comes to Tuna fishing outta Westport landing more tuna then any other tuna charter in the harbor. If you have any questions email me back or call our office this is the best time for tuna fishing our Captain says. Dashai

Got to phone in deposits to confirm trip ASAP

Passports Needed.........

Operators prefer cash but do require a non refundable credit card deposit unless the captain cancels the trip.

I'd like to leave Van Isle Monday morning, with a Costco stop on route for bevy's etc. Get to Westport for a 7:30pm check in. Fish Tuesday and Wednesday morning if need be and make the trip home.

I don't drink so I have offered to drive, and I will cover the cost of the vehicle on the ferry both ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that sounds like a blast and a great deal. I can't wait to hear how your trip was....hopefully pic heavy. I really wish I wasn't going away for work till the 1st week of October or else I would be all over that.

I am booked and the boat is almost full. 10 guys Max.

Coho Ferry from Vic 10:30am Sept 29th
Stop for goodies at Costco Port Angeles
Check in at boat 7:30pm on the 29th departing 9:30pm
Fishing live bait Sept 30th and moring of Oct 1st
Heading home via BC Ferries.

You'd need to have Passport, book a spot on the boat :), book a walk on fare Coho Ferry (possibly a vehicle as my truck only has so much room)..... I bought into their 2 breakfasts and a dinner package for $25. I'd rather fish then cook :)

Let me know..... Last night there were only 3-4 spots left. And it sounds like a couple other forum members are taking a couple of them :)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JPPx86Oj-D0

This sounds like a way better trip than the 6 pack charter I took recently. You guys shouldnt have any hotels and your charter is the same price for twice as much time fishing! I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes, may have to book something for next year. Good luck.

When does the Washington tuna fishery end?

My father and I are looking to go in celebration of a life event, but I don't want to force it if it will be too late in the season by the time we get a booking.

Thanks in advance

They say into Oct. But tourism is down at this time of year. These guys only go if they have 6 clients. Most operations only seem pre schedule charters till mid sept but go longer if they can get the required amount of clients to go.

Back