Trump, House split on proposal to eliminate salmon restoration funding

I'm sure Mr. Trump will do the right thing.... he hasn't let anyone down so far right? ;)

Despite the original post being salmon related Im pretty sure this thread will not last long.

The dam & irrigation projects at the root of this problem are Federal; therefore a Federal solution is in order.

If Trump's cuts are to pay for his wall, then anything takes priority over his wall.

There was a show on the end of the Vietnam war yesterday. On the timeline Nixon resigned about 2 years after Watergate. I expect a similar result & timeline with Trump.

Yup, at this point in time, with all the angst pointed at the DT Administration, I think Salmon returns are the least of his worries.

I wouldn't hold my breath for his impeachment though, or at least when you turn blue, rethink your position. Something tells me this guy is around until Jan 2025 so hold onto your seats!

Towney, how old were you in 1972 - I was 22 & remember it very well. I was in the Military back then & REALLY did not want to go to Viet Nam, so Nixon was very unpopular with me.

Yes, you may have +\- 10 years on me. I know the Nixon ordeal and how it unraveled quite well. That's why I'm struggling to connect the dots between Salmon enhancement/Trump and Nixon/Impeachment/Vietnam.

I really don't want to get into this, it's a black hole where emotions tend to over ride reason, my point was I wouldn't bet the farm on him not being around for 2 terms (although that swamp is pretty pissed), what that does to Salmon stocks in the mean time, IDK.

The dam & irrigation projects at the root of this problem are Federal; therefore a Federal solution is in order.

Yes the ones with the "r" behind their names want the water and to hell with the fish. Nothing new here as this has been played out many times before.

Officials: Bill would end Trinity River fish disease preventive flows, county water right

Local tribal and government officials say a bill currently under U.S. Senate review would virtually end Trinity River dam water releases used to prevent fish kills and do away with Humboldt County’s 60-year right to river water in favor of providing more water to Central Valley irrigators.

California Rep. Jared Huffman (D-San Rafael) said the bill — HR 23 introduced by California Rep. David Valadao (R-Hanford) — is but one of several attempts over the years by Central Valley water contractors and suppliers, namely the Fresno-based Westlands Water District, to redirect more Trinity River water for their own interests.

“During the worst of the drought, they packaged it as an emergency drought relief effort,” Huffman said Thursday. “It’s all the same. It hasn’t always been this explicit about the Trinity River. That’s a newer development. That’s because the Department of Interior has finally recognized Humboldt County’s 50,000 acre-feet right [to Trinity River water]. Westlands and others have been working to override that.”

Attempts to contact Westlands Water District’s media representative on Friday were not returned.

Local officials said this week that the bill would undo longstanding provisions adopted by Congress that protect Trinity River fish and Humboldt County’s water rights. These provisions adopted in 1955 and 1959 gave Humboldt County an annual right to 50,000 acre-feet of water from Trinity Lake and stated that Trinity River water can only be diverted to the Central Valley after enough has been provided to protect fish.

more.....
http://www.times-standard.com/gener...e-flows-county-water-right?source=most_viewed

Back