Truck Tires

I know a few guys who run the LTX AT2 in a 10 ply and really like them. I almost went with those for my Tacoma.

I ended up getting a set of General Grabber AT2 -- they are a 6ply -- lighter rolling weight than a 10 ply which impacts fuel burn. They were about $350 cheaper for a set than the LTX, have a 96000km tread warranty but also have the Snowflake icon (only LTX M&S has that). They are noisier than the stock Dunlops that came off the Taco, but have held up much better. Half dozen trips to Bamfield without any issues. They have a tread pattern that is designed to spit out rocks and it works -- I've noticed small pebbles being ejected as I drive -- never saw that before. Truck corners better now -- better traction on wet surfaces vs. the Dunlops.

A consideration for you - BC implemented a new law (I think this year) that requires Winter Tires for passenger vehicles (Commercial can carry chains) from Oct 1-Mar 31. See this notice: http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/SeasonalDriving/winter-tires-chains/ -- I've seen their new updated signs along the Malahat recently.

The Grabber has the snowflake symbol meaning you're legal if pulled over or potentially in an ICBC claim. Many other tires have this symbol as well -- we have the Nokian WR2 on our Jetta and they have it too. I don't typically change to snow tires in the winter (Victoria) so running a winter rated All Terrain made sense for me. If I was in the interior where heavier snow and freezing was an issue, I'd run 2 sets of tires but for my driving these are fine. Might be something you want to look at.

You will still be legal with a M+S rated tire, this is new this year. I agree snowflake is the safest due to softer rubber but mud and snow are in compliance.

Just picked up a set of Good Year Duratrac's. Need to do a little fender trimming to fit them. Hoping they live up to the expectations.

I got about 70000kms on my 35" BFG AT's. 6000 was on the Bamfield road. Just thinking of getting new ones now. Got them on a 1 ton crew cab which weights about 8400 pounds.

I run the Good Year Silent Armour Pro Grade all terrains on my Dodge diesel dually.
They are very quiet, smooth and great for the driving and boat hauling I do.
They have the snow flake designation as well for winter use.
Very pleased with them overall.
I have had BFG ATs and MTs, Good Year Wranglers, Dunlops and Generals over the years in my various trucks and SUVs, these are the best tires I've had for overall performance and comfort.
Not sure they'll get the best mileage overall but I use the truck for pleasure use only now so will get many years out of them driving only 10k/year.

So I went with the Toyo AT2.
Only had for a week but drove from Victoria to Campbell River and hunted for a couple of days. Drove pavement, gravel roads and dirt roads.
Great so far. Very quiet and good handling.

Tips

What did the toyos cost you all in? I need 20" for my 2008 dodge ram 1500. Made a mistake last time and bought perelli (spell?).

Tire craft (alpine auto) in langford.
Only ended up there because westcoast tire could not get them. Back ordered with Toyo.
I guess Tirecraft has its own warehouse.
Turned out to be best price. $1361 all in. $50 mail in rebate on top.

Tips

I guess the province has effectively made snow tires mandatory. Technically you can drive around town on whatever, but get on almost any provincial highway and you need M+S or snowflake. I thought it was just on the passes but even in the mild dry Okanagan you can't legally drive from Kelowna to Penticton without winters or carrying chains.

I've been driving on the Goodyears that came standard on my new Chev and wasn't planning to switch since this is a lease vehicle. Was driving in fairly deep snow at Apex over the weekend and slimy conditions on the way there with no issues. But apparently to be legal I need to install winters. I guess one of the buying decisions when lease is up will be that the new one needs 18" rims to suit the snow tires I'll still have!

Back