Trolling with Suzuki DF140?

Marko

I'm considering one of these engines for my 18'-6" Whaler.

Do any of you have any experience trolling with this engine?

If so:
- How slow can you go with your usual prop without dragging buckets etc?
- Is control of low RPM easy or difficult? Do I need the new model with the 50rpm increment Troll Mode?

Any experience and input appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark

I was able to troll with my df 200 on a heavy 20ft boat pretty decent and whisper quiet,more so than my 2010 9.9 yammi. Defiantly had to really feather it once in gear to get the proper speed. Ended up catching 3 springs in 40 minutes that day

I trolled a 140 zuker on an 18 foot boat no problem for salmon. Nice and quiet! That was 6years ago tho. It did not have any fancy shmancy troll options.

Sounds like it would work. My old boat needs a light engine...coming from an 80's V6 2s, I'm gonna give up some torque, but if I can fish without a kicker, it might be a good trade.

I had twin 250 suzukis for six years, was always going to put on a kicker but was asked why. These engines are quitter, you have more control and the fuel consumption is very low. It also keeps less weight on the back of your boat. The only reason I can see that you would need kicker is for safety reasons. It allows you to limp home or keep you off the rocks should your main engine fail

I have that engine on a 22ft aluminum, so a light boat.
PERFECT for trolling, the only issue being I hit the 100hr service recommendation pretty quickly. Over & Over & Over, so if your getting service every 100, it gets costly.
Now I use it for trolling in rougher weather, when I don't want to mess with the kicker.

Fishing trips are only 2-3 weekends a year for us, so the hours shouldn't be too big a deal. I'll also do most of the maintenance myself.

Thanks for the feedback.

Back