Trolling speed question?

H

HSM542

A question for the experts out there, when trolling near the bottom hoping to get both hali's and salmon what speed works for a better chance to get both, speed as quick as usually used for salmon, or slowing down a bit for the halibut? I've never tried this before as I've often wondered what would work the best! P.S. gear such as spoons and hootchies are being used with flashers.

No expert here, but the halis suposedly are bycatch when trolling for salmon. So I'd do my salmon setup just troll near the bottom 10ft or so.
cheers

gonefishingsign.gif

Hi.

I'm no expert at trolling up halibut, but I'd think trolling bait behind a flasher might be a better bet. Whole herring in a teaser head would seem to be a natural choice for a shot at both. If you're using hoochies they work well a various speeds. Change up your colors and speeds until you find a combination that works. Just make sure you mark what speed you are going when you have a hit. It also might be worth trying some magnum hoochies in your favorite colors. They are a little larger(about 6"), and might work better on Halibut.Like I said, not an expet, just some suggestions.

TheBigGuy

Hi.

I'm no expert at trolling up halibut, but I'd think trolling bait behind a flasher might be a better bet. Whole herring in a teaser head would seem to be a natural choice for a shot at both. If you're using hoochies they work well a various speeds. Change up your colors and speeds until you find a combination that works. Just make sure you mark what speed you are going when you have a hit. It also might be worth trying some magnum hoochies in your favorite colors. They are a little larger(about 6"), and might work better on Halibut.Like I said, not an expet, just some suggestions.

TheBigGuy

A couple of buddies of mine have had lots of success trolling hootchies and other hardware out of Bamfield, right on the bottom for both Halis and salmon...regular trolling speed.

Getbent

A couple of buddies of mine have had lots of success trolling hootchies and other hardware out of Bamfield, right on the bottom for both Halis and salmon...regular trolling speed.

Getbent

Thanks for the replies, I will be out on the banks out of Ucluelet, so I think I will take all this info into consideration and hopefully be able to get both hali's and chinook with the one method. The reason I don't want to use bait is dogfish, and not knowing if my bait is still fishing properly if a missed hit happens!

Thanks for the replies, I will be out on the banks out of Ucluelet, so I think I will take all this info into consideration and hopefully be able to get both hali's and chinook with the one method. The reason I don't want to use bait is dogfish, and not knowing if my bait is still fishing properly if a missed hit happens!

I have to agree with not using bait.

Dropping bait to 200 feet is a mighty big pain when it comes to checking on it as often as you should.

I've had success catching halibut trolling with both spoons and hootchies.

Normal trolling speed works for me also.

I have to agree with not using bait.

Dropping bait to 200 feet is a mighty big pain when it comes to checking on it as often as you should.

I've had success catching halibut trolling with both spoons and hootchies.

Normal trolling speed works for me also.

We have had great success trolling 6-7" tomic plugs in a few choice colours. Put the boat in gear, drop the weight to the bottom and keep it bouncing everyonce and a while. Place your release about 36" above the weight as the plug will dive a bit. Every so often, take the boat out of gear, let the weight bounce on bottom and then kick it back in gear.

Off the banks at Bamfield, this was a great way to pick up both springs and hali's in June/July. The fish would be full of needle fish and squid.

SS

Fishing001.jpg

Ive always trolled a bit slower when trying for hails but thats also because its not that easy to keep a 13lb ball 200ft down at 2.5 knots. I usually just putt along at 1.5-2 knots depending on what the tide/wind is doing and I still pick up salmon at the slower speeds. White glow hootchies seem to out-do the spoons for halis, in my experiences anyway. Keep a good eye on those rodtips a lot of times they just tap once and then swim along at the same speed as the gear.

We pick up Halibut on purple haze and glow hoochies all the time when fishing the banks off Ucluelet. As far as trolling speed is concerned, the biggest issue is getting your ball to the bottom. If you're going too fast then it is a lot harder to get down there. We run 12 and 15 pound balls to prevent excessive blow back.

I don't think that it makes much difference from a fishing catching perspective. The commercial trollers out of Ukee all go 2.5-3 MPH and seem to do just fine. Remember, you've gotta go fast enough to get those flashers spinning!

Lots of good pointers on this topic. You should get lots of them trolling the turd at salmon speeds. Drop a 15# ball down until you hit bottom, wait for a minute and drop em down again until you hit a second time and you should be close. I also agree that you need to watch the rod tips closely.

searun

The wealth of knowledge on this forum is impressive as well as the willingness to share it. Again thanks to all replies as they definately will be put to good use. I think I will also give a tomic plug a try down deep, possibly the uv purple or a 600 series glow!

quote:Originally posted by searun

Lots of good pointers on this topic. You should get lots of them trolling the turd at salmon speeds. Drop a 15# ball down until you hit bottom, wait for a minute and drop em down again until you hit a second time and you should be close. I also agree that you need to watch the rod tips closely.

searun

Hey, searun.

I agree the Turd hoochie would probably be a good choice for the Halibut. Just wondering where you buy yours at. I haven't seen them in any stores, I ordered some from the states cause I couldn't find any up here. The only colors I could find online were white and blue.
The blue ones worked well on the west coast last year, but I'd sure like to find some in green (or other colors). Which colors do you recommend and where do you buy them?

quote:Originally posted by TheBigGuy

Which colors do you recommend and where do you buy them?

River Sportsman in Campbell River has the Turd in hoochie size as well as the bigger squid size in the clear and brown. They also carry the "Gator" which is the same pattern as the Turd but usually sells in a blue/green with black spots pattern. However "Gators" can also come in a variety of other colors.

I get my turds from Pacific Net and Twine in Coombs on the old island highway. They work incredibly well for both salmon and halis, so worth the investment.

Searun

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. I live in Vancouver, but I'll be sure to stop in at those stores on the Island this summer when I'm passing through. I'd much rather patronize local shops if the gear is available here.

quote:Originally posted by searun

I get my turds from Pacific Net and Twine in Coombs on the old island highway. They work incredibly well for both salmon and halis, so worth the investment.
Searun

Where do you find Turds in Victoria ? [:eek:)]

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

Back