Troll speed for plugs?

I'm not an expert. I think it depends on the brand as they have different cup/shovel on the front. Tomics have to go the fastest, Mac Squid ,lucky louie, Lyman, can go slower. Kingblazer or others have said 4.5 mph can work for trout. Personally I hardly ever troll faster than 3 mph., but would love to have more experience.

Last edited:
My speeds vary so much. Especially on Okanagan. 2”,3”,4”,5”,6”. They all like a different speed and every brand is different too. I was out yesterday and all the fish on plugs were 70-120ft down doing 2.9mph. Speed up and slow down and they wouldn’t touch it. Other days I’m 2.6. 1.8 for the small stuff. Every day is different!

cowichan lake i prefer trolling 1.5-2.2 for tomic plugs and have always had success either on the rigger or a sliding weight system. once the boat is uncovered from the snow i should be out on the lake every weekend as its my favorite lake by far on the island

What’s everyone’s opinion on speed when trolling plugs in the lakes for some winter hogs.
Don’t know what lake your fishing but my favourite winter lake we troll at 2.9mph. More important than speed I think is the distance your plug is behind the boat. Winter fish here are typically shallow so we’re running 4” Lyman’s right on top. Being shallow they’re also spooky. We run our lures about 150 feet at least or more back so maybe 7-10’ deep? No pics so take it for what it’s worth but my biggest rainbow ever came a few years ago in the week between Xmas and New Years and was 15lbs and my wifes biggest was 12lbs caught early that same December.

If you can get the tubby Tomic, they are meant to be trolled at a lower speed and still get the same action as a standard plug at a higher speed.

cowichan lake i prefer trolling 1.5-2.2 for tomic plugs and have always had success either on the rigger or a sliding weight system. once the boat is uncovered from the snow i should be out on the lake every weekend as its my favorite lake by far on the island
I’m am talking cowichan are you taking mph of Kmh

Mostly fishing cowichan on Vancouver island pretty well all cuttys and the odd bow
Don’t know what lake your fishing but my favourite winter lake we troll at 2.9mph. More important than speed I think is the distance your plug is behind the boat. Winter fish here are typically shallow so we’re running 4” Lyman’s right on top. Being shallow they’re also spooky. We run our lures about 150 feet at least or more back so maybe 7-10’ deep? No pics so take it for what it’s worth but my biggest rainbow ever came a few years ago in the week between Xmas and New Years and was 15lbs and my wifes biggest was 12lbs caught early that same December.

Back