Treble hooks; just say no

If you want to be an even greater conservationist then please dont use any hooks at all! Great fun and 99% survival. But the best of the best dont fish at all and proud themselves with a clean record of 100% survival rate overall!

Use whatever hooks work for you best and unhook your fish to be released beside your boat in the water and no one can ever accuse you of doing unnecessary harm. The kind of hooks is not the problem its the fish handling where you make the difference.

Well from my experience using a front treble on an anchovy rig indeed makes it harder to release cleanly than two singles. Also larger single siwash hooks on hoothchies do more damage to smaller shaker size fish than two smaller octopus style hooks but make releasing larger fish easier. I use all and adjust depending on the program. As always ymmv.

just started using a barbless single circle hook on the hootchies
just need a few more fish hits to see if things are worth sticking with or back to my trusted 5/0 gammy

Last year I kept count and I contacted just over 1,000 Chinook. In almost every case where I had a really bad bleed on a gill it was with a single hook. I did find fish on trebles more difficult to release but typically they were hooked closer to their gums. I also found was single hooks I was more likely to wreck one of their eyes.
I'll definitely agree that treble hooks are more difficult to release but I think on average the wounds are more superficial.
I often wondered if it would have been less damaging to the population overall if I had just been able to keep the first two 45cm chinook that I caught and then going home rather than fishing all day trying for bigger ones, but I suppose there's a downside to that as well.

I use trebs on meat sticks and singles on hoochie and spoons. I dont see a difference in bleeders. Like mentioned above the treble can be a bit harder to release, But I'm not a catch and release guy.... Bonk. It has to do alot with the size of hook being used. I've caught tons of small fish this year on a single and have had a lot of bleeders. None on a trebles. To big to get that far in there mouth.

Attachments

• WP_20170708_17_29_03_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170708_17_29_03_Pro.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 54
I am not a catch-and-releaser either, but I do some hi grading. Don't target Coho & haven't caught a fish under 10# for eons. Agree the big Siwash are harder on the small one's.

Many years ago a young Girl from Port Alberni wrote a book "How to Catch Really Big Salmon". Her motto was "Limit your kill, don't kill your limit".

Australia is a blue water fisher and is a different animal then our fishery..each fishery is different ..If look to Mexico and the warm water fisheries u will see that Trebles and j -hooks are being banned to the circle hooks ..so j hooks are evil also.. I hear and understand what u are trying to say....As I fish both trebles single and double single with my herring and anchovies depending on where and the fish I'm chasing... I would say no to asking for another reg change because other places have them ..we already deal with a barbless hook reg. that releases a good number of fish every year..and not be my choice I might add... we as sport fishers get what about 5% of the total allow catch each year..... I find most people already to the high road and do what they feel they should to limit there mort rates as u can see in this thread... the days are gone when you fish to see who gets a 100 spring day :) a mort comes in no matter the size( of course not breaking any laws) and I release only the fish that will survive..customers and friend have no problem with that..... good debute I might add... :)

I'm more concerned about fishers being better able to identify species early on before landing and then learning and using proper release techniques. Fishers lacking these abilities do way way more harm than than any hook does.

Derby, profisher, I concur with what you are saying. It has been many years, but I still remember a day at Little Beach Ucluelet watching small fish being shaken from barbed trebles; we were fishing very close to each other.

Hopefully this great discussion will raise some awareness.

What I do is take a normal treble hook, cut one barb off (the welded one), file off the remaining burr and sharp spots , flatten them out in a vice plus pliers and then run them like this.

Often I'll pinch one side barb off. (Barbs are legal for bottom fish).

They work.

I've never found any around that are made factory like this so far.

IMG_0528.JPG

What I do is take a normal treble hook, cut one barb off (the welded one), file off the remaining burr and sharp spots , flatten them out in a vice plus pliers and then run them like this.

They work.

View attachment 34541
What's the advantage of doing this?

eric1 do you fish for bottom fish? some of those under lings and rockcod inhale that treble. the way they suck their food into their bucket sized mouths they are far more likely to get hooked deeply into the back of their throats and gill area. Legal to use trebles for bottom fish. i mean, where do you finally draw your line? serious question.

What's the advantage of doing this?

I don't like killing Rockfish for no good reason. Especially when I'm not even targeting those. Rockfish can get buttoned up real good on a treble...so good it's almost impossible to get the treble out.

By the time I'm finished doing that , they are sometimes dead.

With only two barbs it's waaay easier to get the hook out quick and release them back live.

Invariably when I go jigging for Lings I'll get a Rocky or two while I'm doing it.

The two-barb hook works good for jigging. I've tried single hooks for jigging....but for some reason they don't work all that great at times.

They work.

View attachment 34541

Pretty sure you call em double hooks
I think there used on large hard body lures, I maybe mistaken but I think it stops them from scratching up the bodies when they go bad and forth, and they lay down against the body better

Hi RiverBoy. I have thrown out all my trebles try to use circles for Hali's though last year I had a Hali hooked on a circle that hooked in the mouth not the lip & hook removal was a pain.

It all comes down to the size of the hook. Obviously a really tiny hook would not damage a shaker or coho, even a barbless treble. Smaller gauge wire can also be made sharper and has better hook penetration. So you should use as small a hook as possible However, for practical reasons relating to the gauge of the wire you cannot use hooks that are too small on large fish as they will bend.
Nevertheless most folks use hooks that are way too big. The smaller the better, provided they are practical from a strength point of view.

I was forced to go up a size when the smaller ones were straightening out while the fish was still plugged into the rigger. Not good when the fish give a couple of good pounds on the rigger and then stops. Bring it up just thinking it didn't hook up but find a straighened hook.

Back