Trap line buoy??? testing feedback

wildthing

Hi guys

Asking out for some feedback on a new possible product

for those of us who use crab and prawn traps
i for one is useless at coiling a leaded rope or even a poly one for that matter

have been using my 5 gallon barrels with the rope coiled around and this works quite well
but the problem a lies with winding the rode back on, getting twist and soaking wet

my ideal is to have a dumbbell shaped buoy
with a hollow center but with a winding handle on one side.
so it mounted on a spindle and cranked much like a level wind reel

thus not getting wet and getting no rode twist

on setting /dropping the trap its just a case of watching it spin/unwind until it stops

any interest ???????

this is not unlike the yellow h buoy block but mine you will be able to wind in coil the rode faster
as it will be much larger with one for crabbing 150' capacity

and one being able to hold 300' + for prawning

await your feedback

and please no putting me in front of the firing squad

i would take the idea to Scotty but they will probably pass ....lol :p

Just dump it all in the bucket/barrel/whathaveyou don't worry about laying it all down perfect.

Ya that's generally easiest and it shouldn't knot that way. That said with those 5 gallons buckets (I use 'em too) it can be a pain in the butt to force poly into them,

I don't think the idea's half bad!

I use a medium sized rubbermaid tote to coil my ropes up in. Try to lay in flat, but always get a few messed up coils. Never had a problem as long as I keep the last end out so it doesn't get through a loop deeper in the tub. Can spool 4 sets of 400 ft rope into the tub and just step on it between pulls. Thinking of your dumbell idea, I used to use some reels I bought at Home Depot for winding on extension cords, I could get 350 ft of 5/16th poly on one, was easy enough to wind on and store, but I couldn't wind it on and pull the trap at the same time so had to land the rope in the bottom of the boat till the traps were in and then wind it up or have a partner wind while I pulled. Did that for a couple years and now found the tub is virutally flawless. Thinking of my reels, mine were just hand held, you will need something to mount the reel on so you or a helper can crank while pulling the traps. One last comment, one of the most common problems in getting ropes to coil properly is coiling them the wrong way, Generally rope likes to be laid in a coil in a clockwise direction to match the lay. Not as happy going the other way. Try that and don't worry if it doesn't look too pretty, it will generally come out of the tub tangle free.

Cheers from the Crew of Stress Medicine.

Thinking of my reels, mine were just hand held, you will need something to mount the reel on so you or a helper can crank while pulling the traps
Yeah I used to sell those awkward POFS-they were fine until you tried to use them under real world conditions.

I got a small plastic electrical spool and built a small tripod type of holder for it made up a wooden handle on an axle and use that to coil it up, on the end loop I attach a carrabeaner and then attach the next set of ropes, I can put 2 lines on it or about 800' snd it is still small enough to stow in the cuddy,
I can actually crank it enough to maintain enough tension on the Ace to keep it all rolling along smoothly, next time I'm down at the marina I'll snap a picture if you want
Looks like this but with a handle drilled into the spool near the lip to act as a crank
http://www.newark.com/pro-signal/hdp-240/empty-cable-reel-plastic-240mm/dp/18J4842

Last edited by a moderator:
I have ended up using milk crates to hold the rope and buoys. One milk crate per run of lead core lead line and float for each string of prawn traps and then the lines and floats for all of my crabs fit in one additional milk crate. The crates store easily, have carrying handles and breathe well for purpose letting the ropes dry out. It was a cheap (free) solution that has worked for me as I am too lazy to coil/roll the ropes after using them and end up just up stuffing the line in the crates and they seem to end up tangle free.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the white laundry hampers-they stack well when empty,and are a little bigger than crates-easier to coil rope in for the rope coiling challenged.

Thanks guys for the feedback i'll get down to making a prototype or two and let you know how i get on

as i said it will be the rope being wound around the buoy so when setting its just a case of dropping the trap and watching the rope unwind super quick and no no tangles

ideally its going to be suited for a two man team but may have to refine it for a one man ......

Your idea is all right. I use these cheap round containters my girlfriend found at the dollar store for my prawn ropes. Each one will hold 400ft of line and they have lots of holes to let breath. It's a bit of a pain coiling it in there but it works and they stack well. I use a milk crate for my anchor the rope, chain and anchor all fits in there (anchor does sit on top so can't stack but it stores well in the garage).

I hand coil my crab trap ropes then put them in the traps and use the bait cage bungy cord to hold them down so they can't tangle.

I've tried wrapping cheap polly rope around my crab float once. It looked like it was going to work but then when I was letting the trap down all the rope fell off the float and all hell broke loose. Your idea might work you did say a barbell style float which is a must but if that rope ever falls off the float your in for a real mess so it needs to be wound on tight.

I think no matter what you do when your dealing with 400ft of rope it's going to be a pain.

as i said it will be the rope being wound around the buoy so when setting its just a case of dropping the trap and watching the rope unwind super quick and no no tangles

ideally its going to be suited for a two man team but may have to refine it for a one man ......

I've used that method when using simple cylinder shaped foam floats. the 18" ones, or a boat bumper works best...and as mentioned just wrap it around the bouy and u can just toss the trap and the bouy will spool the line off as the trap drops. It is effective and kinda fun! But I would only go so far as to do it with the crab traps...someone should build a pully/belt run coiler that operates of your prawn puller motor or pullies.....next project Sculpin? lol

Back