Transducer Spray

Adler

Hi all, I've installed a new Lowrance Elite 5 this Spring and the transducer is kicking up a heck of a lot of spray onto the boat when going at speed, to the point where everything gets soaked on route! How do I fix this - is it in the wrong spot? I've included a picture so you can see where it is. The last transducer was lower, down at the last flat point, but in reading the install directions for the Lowerance, it said it needed to be a certain distance from the engine, which the lower spot wasn't. Or is there a splash guard of some sort that should be installed?

Help! My wife and kids are getting soaked, and in order to stay out on longer trips, I need it to stop!

Attachments

• IMG_20130623_094236.jpg
    IMG_20130623_094236.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 893
I have the same problem. Located the ducer in the same spot. Not so bad for me because I have a large transom and the engine is on a pod, but still, it is constantly showering my engine with water.

As soon as I saw your thread, I thought maybe a shield of sorts mounted above the ducer would stop the spray on my boat. Maybe worth a try? My boat is moored so once its out of the water I may give it a try.

I'd go out to a lake and play around with the adjustments. I have found less spray and better performance with tilting the back of the transducer down one notch from parallel to hull. You may also want to raise the whole transducer up a bit. So only the lower half of the "nose" of the transducer is below hull line. This is my knowledge from experience.

Have you tried changing the angle of the transducer, sometimes that will improve it.
too much is not good though, you won't get correct sonar reading.

I had the same issue and found the water was spraying up between the transducer and the bracket that holds it. There was another thread here about this problem.

Somebody suggested blocking the opening in the bracket with electrical tape. That's what I did and it worked really well. There is still some spray but its minimal.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try the tape method first, hope that does the trick! I like the looks of that cover as well.

That is the exact idea I had AIK. Thanks for posting!

FYI
The shield Alk posted the picture of appears to be made from a 4" PVC toilet flange with a short piece of pipe glued in, and cut lengthwise to suit.

Back