trailer bunk guides which type?

dmurph

Hey all, looking for opinions on what’s better side bunk guides or the goal post style at the rear. Going to be getting a new trailer and want to be able to easily launch solo. Launch is never much of an issue but loading can be a bit of an issue. My current trailer my boat is hard to load without going tilted, I think this is mainly cause my rear tilt bunks are in to close to the keel as opposed to spread apart further. Anyway if I’m going new it better make the process better lol. All opinions appreciated

I use the side bunk gides. Never had a trailer with posts. Love the side bunks.

Following this thread as I'm re-bunking a new-to-me trailer.
Looking at side bunks as guides too - just instinct though - no experience with them. Just had homemade carpeted wood posts before.

Tains do you find the side bunks are a big help? Do you find they get in the way for cleaning or waxing the boat. Maybe they disconnect easily?

Last edited:
I find them great in windy conditions at the ramp. Side bunks definitely get in the way for cleaning and waxing. I don't moor the boat so stays pretty clean.

We have the posts on our Continental trailer from Florida. Very nice in the wind - the posts smoothly guide our 2470 Pursuit on.

I prefer chine guides. The trick to getting a boat to load straight on a bunk trailer begins with getting the trailer in the water straight and to the proper depth. When I back in the water I leave about 4-10 inches of bunk out of the water and make sure that it is equal on both sides. That means the trailer is in level with the water surface and in turn the bottom of the boat. Winch it on slowly allowing time for the boat to recenter as its winched aboard. Works every time . . . every time. Boats is a 24' Weldcraft with 8'6" beam. Trailer is an EZ Loader two bunks and chine guides.

Back