Town hall meeting live by phone with NDP Jack Layton re:Halibut allocation

sammyslabber

Just finished taking part in a live phone Town hall meeting 7pm-8pm with NDP leader Jack Layton and Ndp prov.candidates for B.C Randall Garrison & Nathan Cullen .I was asked for a question so I asked them what they were prepared to do about the unfair fisheries policies & lack of effort by DFO & fisheries Min. Gail Shea to adress the 88/12 Halibut allocation placing a public resource largely in the hands of a small group of commercial lic. holders!
Questions were then answered in order by Randall Garrison ( Esquimalt councillor );Nathan Cullen(Skeena - Bulkley Valley Ndp MP) Garrison first off was staded he was aware of the 88/12 issue and it was a heartship to local buissness & sportsfisherman a like a misuse of Public Res. ,how it would reflect on the local economy.
Cullen pretty much added it was that it would hurt resorts ,guides & tourist economy added that he had attended The kitimat Town hall meeting adressing the halibut allocation .He finished saying he was dissapointed with Fisheries Min. Gail Sheas' inabilty to deal with the issue.

After all I never heard Jack Leyton's take on this issue I wasn't suprised!

Yea I was on that conference call town meeting also but once someone else raised the unfair 88/12 halibut allocation issue I hung up to watch the Hockey Game. It is pretty clear now that the opposition politicians are smelling blood in the water re: the federal Conservatives vulnerability on this issue. I think they are going to regret not making it all go away for a lousy additional 8% of allocation when they had the chance. Now I am not sure that would even fly with increasing numbers of people wanting the quota system gone period, but they could try it. You would think they would have figured out that BC does not suffer arrogant politicians easily, just ask Mr. Campbell Re: the misread of HST.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers All,

I concur that this was once an easy fix...for all: simply increase the 8% and then put the process in place to keep the sports fishery viable. The conservatives could have done it in a heartbeat and looked like heros as they addressed the liberals original flawed plan. However...the more they allowed the process to spin out of control the more they hurt the chance of fixing this in a straight foreward fashion. I once would have agreed upon the 8% but no longer. I once would have even settled for 50%/50% but no longer. I once would have settled for much but have determined to 'no longer settle'. I want the conservatives gone. I want the halibut returned to the people and the proceeds from any commercial fishery leases to go back into the resource and NOT into the pockets of businessmen. I want Minister Shea (in all her arrogance and ignorance) gone. And I want the East Coast to also have the ability to enjoy the same Common Property Resources that we on the West Coast claim. I want a Democratic Canada. Nothing less will suffice!

And...I guess...I owe this all to a handfull of commercial halibut fishermen who prompted me to wake up and discover the true meaning of 'Being Canadian'. I AM CANADIAN, EH!

Cheers All,

I concur that this was once an easy fix...for all: simply increase the 8% and then put the process in place to keep the sports fishery viable. The conservatives could have done it in a heartbeat and looked like heros as they addressed the liberals original flawed plan. However...the more they allowed the process to spin out of control the more they hurt the chance of fixing this in a straight foreward fashion. I once would have agreed upon the 8% but no longer. I once would have even settled for 50%/50% but no longer. I once would have settled for much but have determined to 'no longer settle'. I want the conservatives gone. I want the halibut returned to the people and the proceeds from any commercial fishery leases to go back into the resource and NOT into the pockets of businessmen. I want Minister Shea (in all her arrogance and ignorance) gone. And I want the East Coast to also have the ability to enjoy the same Common Property Resources that we on the West Coast claim. I want a Democratic Canada. Nothing less will suffice!

And...I guess...I owe this all to a handfull of commercial halibut fishermen who prompted me to wake up and discover the true meaning of 'Being Canadian'. I AM CANADIAN, EH!
Want want want
Your dumber than i thought .Crying ( i want everthing for nothing i am canadian )Try working for it like most canadians have instead of trying to steal it.

Want want want
Your dumber than i thought .Crying ( i want everthing for nothing i am canadian )Try working for it like most canadians have instead of trying to steal it.

That’s pretty hilarious coming from a Slipper Skipper, what your slaves the real commercial halibut fishermen out there actually fishing for a living not paying you enough tribute while you sit on your fat butt doing nothing because you were able to persuade(there’s a polite word) some slimy politician to give it to you for free and now you get to collect your quota welfare check forever. Talk about stealing a resource. I guess you can type from anywhere; how’s your Hawaii tan coming along?
Hum, --- it is a temptation to sink to your moronic level of discussion but it s like arguing with a five year old – now I have to go take a shower and wash off this troll slime.

Want want want

Seriously though? The commercial sector was gifted 88%...and you say that...I can't wait for when the reallocation occurs :D Make a good sight out of hypocrits like yourself

Want want want

HAHAHAHA

Fatten up while you can. Pigs are gonna be pulled from the trough pretty goddamned quick.

I'm not much of a Computer person, but I do know enough to know that you can trace a posters address through their IP. ;-)

Seriously though? The commercial sector was gifted 88%...and you say that...I can't wait for when the reallocation occurs :D Make a good sight out of hypocrits like yourself

The tides turned . Proven fact 56% comerical qouta has changed hands for money. And 21 years ago the the orignal comerical fisherman was allocated his qouta on past catch history when sport catch history was 2-3%. Now answer this how much have you paid for access to fish you have caught for profit ? Now maby your the gifted one.

This was meant to be a Troll Free Topic "Sports wrecked" Don't assume you'll only make an butt of u not me!

Back